Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:57 pm

#DarkHorseDuo 2020. Who’s down with it!
Rebranded #Unity2020. Let’s do it.

Good idea but I am blanking out on who the candidates would be.
Mitt Romney is the avatar for this kind of thing but he gives people capitalist cancer.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:14 am

AP sources: White House aware of Russian bounties in 2019

https://apnews.com/425e43fa0ffdd6e126c5171653ec47d1
Top officials in the White House were aware in early 2019 of classified intelligence indicating Russia was secretly offering bounties to the Taliban for the deaths of Americans, a full year earlier than has been previously reported, according to U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the intelligence.

The assessment was included in at least one of President Donald Trump’s written daily intelligence briefings at the time, according to the officials. Then-national security adviser John Bolton also told colleagues he briefed Trump on the intelligence assessment in March 2019.

The White House did not respond to questions about Trump or other officials’ awareness of Russia’s provocations in 2019. The White House has said Trump was not — and still has not been — briefed on the intelligence assessments because they have not been fully verified. However, it is rare for intelligence to be confirmed without a shadow of a doubt before it is presented to top officials.

Bolton declined to comment Monday when asked by the AP if he had briefed Trump about the matter in 2019. On Sunday, he suggested to NBC’s “Meet the Press” that Trump was claiming ignorance of Russia’s provocations to justify his administration’s lack of a response.

“He can disown everything if nobody ever told him about it,” Bolton said.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:49 am

My first question would be how the hell did a cop car end up inside of the protest? Police here have been kept at such a distance to where they’re able to block off roads safely but also not interfere with the march. I don’t know if the windows were smashed to where the cop would feel threatened, but that situation never should have happened.
:face: Always the cops fault.
:face: Always the protestors fault.

Also didn’t blame anybody there. I asked how that situation even happened.
Considering they surrounded the vehicle and broke out the back window, this one is on them.
Okay cool. My question still stands.
Per the report the officers were trying to get the protestors back to the park they were supposed to be congregating at as this group was straying. But I'm sure it doesn't matter to you.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 am

White People at it again.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 am

White People at it again.

Is that Sting?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:07 am

Bah Gawd!

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 am

:face: Always the cops fault.

Considering they surrounded the vehicle and broke out the back window, this one is on them.
Per the report the officers were trying to get the protestors back to the park they were supposed to be congregating at as this group was straying. But I'm sure it doesn't matter to you.
There’s a reason why cops have generally kept their distance and not interfere with the marches, because unfortunately **** like this tends to happen. It’s not good for anybody. Thanks for answering the initial question.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:07 am

There’s a reason why cops have generally kept their distance and not interfere with the marches, because unfortunately **** like this tends to happen. It’s not good for anybody. Thanks for answering the initial question.

Apparently every single thing sets these protesters off into a violent rage (not their fault tho, ever) and also that couple shouldn't have reacted the way they did when protesters broke into their gated community. They were just tryna march to the mayor's house is all.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:47 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:00 am

AP sources: White House aware of Russian bounties in 2019

https://apnews.com/425e43fa0ffdd6e126c5171653ec47d1
Top officials in the White House were aware in early 2019 of classified intelligence indicating Russia was secretly offering bounties to the Taliban for the deaths of Americans, a full year earlier than has been previously reported, according to U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the intelligence.

The assessment was included in at least one of President Donald Trump’s written daily intelligence briefings at the time, according to the officials. Then-national security adviser John Bolton also told colleagues he briefed Trump on the intelligence assessment in March 2019.

The White House did not respond to questions about Trump or other officials’ awareness of Russia’s provocations in 2019. The White House has said Trump was not — and still has not been — briefed on the intelligence assessments because they have not been fully verified. However, it is rare for intelligence to be confirmed without a shadow of a doubt before it is presented to top officials.

Bolton declined to comment Monday when asked by the AP if he had briefed Trump about the matter in 2019. On Sunday, he suggested to NBC’s “Meet the Press” that Trump was claiming ignorance of Russia’s provocations to justify his administration’s lack of a response.

“He can disown everything if nobody ever told him about it,” Bolton said.
Ultimately, isn't the gist of this story just that Trump is just a shitty president? I am not sure what the appropriate response is, I wouldn't argue to escalate any sort of actual combat. But, I think pretending it's not worthy of acknowledgement, or his staff feels incapable of briefing him about bad Russia news, either way, Trump being the actual president was basically the dumbest idea. And this is getting hammered home pretty much every day right now.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:45 am

I think it's more that, all the while he's raging about the NFL having players kneel disrespecting the flag, when he can't even be bothered to read about his friend Putin paying to have US soldiers killed. Ultimately, it's just gross, imo.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:49 am

Has Trump come out an vilified Russia yet?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:56 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:00 am

You serious Clark?

That's like multiple layers of accepting fault/blame.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am

Awful tweets from CHAZ
Absolutely zero regard or respect for the lives of others. There was a 16 year old and a 14 year old in that car. The crass, cold way they casually talk about ending the lives of others. I mean, you see this insanity in places like Chicago every weekend, but to see it front and center like this is disturbing. Black men killing black children and joking about running out of bullets.

The mayor has blood on her hands and should be removed from office. They should have sent in the National Guard weeks ago to clean out this human filth, but God forbid they gave any appearance of not being "woke".

Oh by the way, just another normal weekend in Chicago, btw:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/28/us/chica ... index.html
Chicago police and community leaders are struggling for solutions after back-to-back weekends in which young children were shot and killed.

"We are tapping all of our resources to ensure these killers cannot kill anyone else," Supt. David Brown said. "We all need to be outraged by this violence."

According to Chicago police, 63 people were shot, 16 fatally between 6 p.m. Friday and 11:59 p.m. Sunday. Three of those fatal shootings victims were minors, police said.
A toddler and a 10-year-old were killed in separate incidents of gun violence in Chicago over the weekend.

The 10-year-old girl died from her injuries Sunday after she was shot in the head by a stray bullet that came through the window of her Logan Square home Saturday night, Chicago police said. She was transported to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital, where she later died, police told CNN.

Separately, a 20-month-old boy was fatally shot in the chest and his 22-year-old mother was grazed by a bullet while the two were driving home from the laundromat Saturday afternoon, according to Chicago police and reports from CNN affiliate WBBM.

The mother was driving south on Halsted Street near 60th Street in Englewood with her toddler son in a child seat in the back of the car when a vehicle pulled up alongside their car and started shooting into it, Chicago police told CNN. The mother then drove to St. Bernard Hospital, where her son was pronounced dead.
I dunno man...this stuff makes me physically ill to think about. I think it's one of the reasons why I admittedly get worked up and fed up with the BLM stuff sometimes. Black men between the ages of 18-35 are an exponentially greater risk to black lives than any law enforcement unit could ever hope to be. We are literally seeing children being senselessly murdered on a weekly basis.

I know it (apparently) comes across as "racist" to others in here, and I am genuinely sorry if that's the case. I just don't understand how white liberals and other protesters can be out complaining about "systemic racism", statues, street names, etc. while black women and children are literally being slaughtered in cities across the country every single week. It's one of my biggest beefs with this whole political movement, in that it attempts to lay all of this horrible crap plaguing black communities and laying it at the feet of white people, police, and systemic racism.

I get that providing more opportunities to inner-city youth will theoretically lead to less gang violence, but from what I have read about experiences of teachers in inner city schools, it seems to be so ingrained in that culture that I'm not sure it can ever change.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 pm

I don't think your comment is racist, I see frustration that you aren't able to be heard. People know though... It may be why statues and aunt Jemima and all that stuff is going on. Whiteys wanting to help, but they know black people DO NOT want to hear it from them, so they target something long distance and crank it up to 11 to get their proof of equality badge.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:08 pm

I dunno man...this stuff makes me physically ill to think about. I think it's one of the reasons why I admittedly get worked up and fed up with the BLM stuff sometimes. Black men between the ages of 18-35 are an exponentially greater risk to black lives than any law enforcement unit could ever hope to be. We are literally seeing children being senselessly murdered on a weekly basis.

I know it (apparently) comes across as "racist" to others in here, and I am genuinely sorry if that's the case. I just don't understand how white liberals and other protesters can be out complaining about "systemic racism", statues, street names, etc. while black women and children are literally being slaughtered in cities across the country every single week. It's one of my biggest beefs with this whole political movement, in that it attempts to lay all of this horrible crap plaguing black communities and laying it at the feet of white people, police, and systemic racism.
No one, no one, is saying that it's a good thing that gangs are out there murdering people every day. But there are tens of millions of blacks who aren't in gangs, yet still face higher odds of police brutality, being profiled, etc. because of the color of their skin. Both problems need solutions, but to try to discount the protests because black gangs members are also committing murder is having blinders on to the other problems.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:12 pm

It's "ingrained" in the culture because there's been no way for them to get out of it.

Generations of Black Americans have been held back by the American system to get to where we are today.

The whole "black on black crime" thing is a red herring to distract from the actual issue that is causing/has caused the violence and the turning toward it in the first place.

When black people can't/couldn't get jobs via legitimate ventures because of the system in place, how do you expect that to turn out?

I agree that the solution is difficult, but there's not really been much of a sustained effort to improve things in the long term, as we still see some of the same issues now that we were seeing pre-MLK in terms of opportunity.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:23 pm

I agree with both of those things. When I see anything involving children being murdered it definitely triggers me, which I know can color my judgment. I guess I'm just feeling especially pessimistic lately, but I'm just not seeing where any of this ends positively. I would love to see badly needed police reforms continue to see the light of day, no doubt. But beyond that, I'm just not sure where it all ends. Just feels like a problem that will always exist.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:27 pm

I agree with MR25 to a large extent for sure, but it's one of those things where I don't know a good answer to solving that problem. Like you said, paying attention in school and doing well is not only not popular in inner cities, but kids are often beat up/tormented/intimidated for daring to actually give a sht in school. I've heard countless horror stories from teachers in urban schools who have said repeatedly that money is not the problem, it's cultural. One anecdote that comes to mind involved a whole host of kids just chucking their school-issued laptops down the stairs over and over again because it was funny.

Just like any other major cultural change, you have to get them while they're young. But with how awful so many of the parents are, even if you theoretically provide "equal opportunity", I'm admittedly skeptical much will change. A butt-ton of money is sunk into inner-city schools every year but if there is no will on the part of the students, what can you do? No child is born "bad".

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:31 pm

It again confuses race with class. Poor folk all over the nation, rural and urban.

It is a long-standing joke in most of West Virginia that there are three ways to make a living:

Work at walmart, work for the state, or sell meth and we all know which one pays better.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:32 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/US/teenage-boys- ... d=71497684
Two teenage boys were shot to death after asking the suspect how tall he was when they were buying candy from a store.

The incident occurred at approximately 5 p.m. on Saturday June 20 after three teenage boys went to a store in South Chicago to buy some candy and ended up having a brief encounter with 19-year-old Laroy Battle inside the establishment.

“The victims were walking into the store, they saw Battle, he was standing in line while at the store and the victims commented that Battle, he was quite tall, and they asked him how tall he was and hoped to be that tall someday,” said Deputy Chief of Detectives Brendan Deenihan “Unfortunately, we will never even see the full growth of these poor children.”

The three teenage boys then left the store and proceeded to walk home together when police say that Battle approached them and began shooting.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 pm

Oh by the way, just another normal weekend in Chicago, btw:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/28/us/chica ... index.html
Chicago police and community leaders are struggling for solutions after back-to-back weekends in which young children were shot and killed.

"We are tapping all of our resources to ensure these killers cannot kill anyone else," Supt. David Brown said. "We all need to be outraged by this violence."

According to Chicago police, 63 people were shot, 16 fatally between 6 p.m. Friday and 11:59 p.m. Sunday. Three of those fatal shootings victims were minors, police said.
A toddler and a 10-year-old were killed in separate incidents of gun violence in Chicago over the weekend.

The 10-year-old girl died from her injuries Sunday after she was shot in the head by a stray bullet that came through the window of her Logan Square home Saturday night, Chicago police said. She was transported to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital, where she later died, police told CNN.

Separately, a 20-month-old boy was fatally shot in the chest and his 22-year-old mother was grazed by a bullet while the two were driving home from the laundromat Saturday afternoon, according to Chicago police and reports from CNN affiliate WBBM.

The mother was driving south on Halsted Street near 60th Street in Englewood with her toddler son in a child seat in the back of the car when a vehicle pulled up alongside their car and started shooting into it, Chicago police told CNN. The mother then drove to St. Bernard Hospital, where her son was pronounced dead.

I get that providing more opportunities to inner-city youth will theoretically lead to less gang violence, but from what I have read about experiences of teachers in inner city schools, it seems to be so ingrained in that culture that I'm not sure it can ever change.
Just wait til this weekend.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:42 pm

It again confuses race with class. Poor folk all over the nation, rural and urban.

It is a long-standing joke in most of West Virginia that there are three ways to make a living:

Work at walmart, work for the state, or sell meth and we all know which one pays better.
I totally agree. It's easy to dismiss black/latino gang members in the cities and white trash dealers in rural America as people who are too lazy or too stupid to work. But the reality is they can make a couple bucks over minimum wage working a legit job or make six figures peddling drugs. For a lot of them, that's an easy decision and I'm not sure I can even blame them. The violence is worse int he cities due to turf wars, but the root issue is the same.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:45 pm

That's the other element too. I'm skeptical that a poor kid growing up in a poorly educated household in West Virginia has much white privilege, or considerably more opportunity than someone in an inner city school. Many of these kids are dealt a crap hand from the start.