Honeymoon Cost vs. Engagement Ring Cost

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:26 pm

I threw up, but not until we were in Greensburg (reception was in Ligonier). Had to take my Land Rover to the car wash in the AM before turning up at my parents place for lunch.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:50 pm

We got hammered in the rectory at the 14th street Presbyterian Church in DC (Lincoln's church) before the ceremony at my brother's wedding.

Like I said, I don't understand why people would want to get hammered at their own wedding. Other people's weddings, especially those with open bar, almost call for it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Like I said, I don't understand why people would want to get hammered at their own wedding. Other people's weddings, especially those with open bar, almost call for it.
my fear of hangovers precludes me from getting hammered anywhere these days, but agreed on the first part. is it not enjoyable enough without being drunk?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Sometimes being drunk is the journey itself, not the destination.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:41 pm

I was the perfect amount of drunk at my wedding. Peaked right at the end and went to the hotel room and.. Well you know

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:54 pm

As I recall, I didn't really put the hammer down until after the reception. At the conclusion of festivities, group of about 10-12 of us went back to our rooms to change into less wedding-y clothes and regrouped at one of the hotel bars. Turns out, there was a singles cruise departing the next day, and many, er, 'travelers' were staying aboard the Queen Mary the night before and were also enjoying the same bar.

I saw.......... things...................

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:10 pm

do you think people would complain to you on your wedding day?
No, but how much of a raging alcoholic do you need to be to be pissed that there was only beer and wine offered?
I rarely rarely rarely drink.

But when i do, I like rum,vodka, whiskey,ginn

i'd still be able to enjoy myself but personally.... I'd notice.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:11 pm

Sometimes being drunk is the journey itself, not the destination.
This.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:13 pm

do you think people would complain to you on your wedding day?
No, but how much of a raging alcoholic do you need to be to be pissed that there was only beer and wine offered?
Yeah we had liquor at our wedding, but I've never had an issue with beer/wine receptions. Who cares?

On another note, people would actually want shots to be allowed at a wedding reception? Seriously? That is an awful idea that will only lead to really bad things. I'm all for having a good time at receptions but at the end of the day it is a wedding reception, not a frat party.
I've had shots at like 50% of the weddings I've been to... and even when i didn't even drink any, they are still the most "memorable" weddings

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 pm

I was the perfect amount of drunk at my wedding. Peaked right at the end and went to the hotel room and.. Well you know
Case of whiskeyd*** and straight to bed?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:08 pm

Honestly I can smash home a lot of booze in a sitting without puking... probably puked about 1 or 2 times in the 5+ years since college. This is never a concern for me at weddings. The hangover the next day is though... which didn't start happening until about 3 years ago.

As far as my own goes... I need to keep it together to make sure things work in the hotel room... If that works we can then go to the after party and not have anything to worry about.

Also if i'm spending that amount of dough I'd like to remember everything.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Case of whiskeyd*** and straight to bed?
Easy there Mr Moderator :pop:

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:43 pm

The larger the rock, the rockier the marriage
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-la ... =afterbell

:pop:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:47 pm

I'm a "reference point" what does that mean?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:06 pm

Entity of interest.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:07 pm

It's just a synonym for people who make more money right?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:29 pm

This looks as if it is surveying those that paid for the weddings all themselves. My fiancee's parents are paying for the wedding. And mine are paying for the booze and rehearsal. We only had to buy bridemaids/groomsman gifts and obviously our rings.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:10 pm

I wanted to read that story, but the first full paragraph was like reading quicksand. Stick to finance, bro.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:08 am

I've received several messages from my girlfriends mother in the past 2 months pushing me to buy an engagement ring. I can't accurately explain how angry that makes me. I just bought her a friggin' house.

She shoves in my face that I've spent money on my basement and bar, things she deems worthless, as a sign I have plenty of money to throw at an intrinsically worthless piece of jewelry.

The fact is that I have been shopping. I'm really methodical with big purchases. I've planned and re-planned my home theater for almost 10 years, adjusting for costs and values of things. When it came time to buy the stuff I'd been saving for 6 or 7 years and I knew the lowest prices I would realistically pay for things, and bought them over the course of several months.

I'm trying to do the same thing with a ring. Essentially whats the most I can get for my money, and where is that? So its taking a awhile.

Meanwhile, her parents never had much money, never took their kids to Disney World or to the ocean or the White House, let alone out of the country. I value taking her on a trip to Europe way more than piece of carbon.

And I know she does too. I do know that she would really like a ring, but theres not a rush. I'd rather just find the right one for her/us and for her mother to bug off.
Last edited by Miami Vice on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:10 am

I've received several messages from my girlfriends mother in the past 2 months pushing me to buy an engagement ring. I can't accurately explain how angry that makes me. I just bought her a friggin' house.

She shoves in my face that I've spent money on my basement and bar, things she deems worthless, as a sign I have plenty of money to throw at an intrinsically worthless piece of jewelry.

The fact is that I have been shopping. I'm really methodical with big purchases. I've planned and re-planned my home theater for almost 10 years, adjusting for costs and values of things. When it came time to buy the stuff I'd been saving for 6 or 7 years and I knew the lowest prices I would realistically pay for things, and bought them over the course of several months.

I'm trying to do the same thing with a ring. Essentially whats the most I can get for my money, and where is that? So its taking a awhile.

Meanwhile, her parents never had much money, never took their kids to Disney World or to the ocean or the White House, let alone out of the country. I value taking her on a trip to Europe way more than piece of carbon.

And I know she does too. I do know that she would really like a ring, but theres not rush. I'd rather just find the right one for her/us and for her mother to bug off.

Not a monetary issue man. Older types need to see marriage in the future to be confident in your commitment.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:14 am

If you want to marry her, you are going to have to set up some boundaries with the future MIL. She sounds quite psycho.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:17 am

in the past my girlfriend has just said to ignore her text messages when she sends me stuff like that, but I think thats rude.

I never gave her my phone number and I wish she didn't have it. I blocked her online.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:21 am

Her younger sister is 21 and shes mad her boyfriend hasn't proposed to her yet. 21 year olds should be exploring the kind of person they want to become. Not limiting their future by locking in a mate.

I like her mom, but she is really the definition of someone without a life. No career or hobbies. She just lives vicariously through her kids.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:43 am

when women of that age start to see grand children on the horizon, it can do strange things to their brains.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:48 am

when women of that age start to see grand children on the horizon, it can do strange things to their brains.
Yep... I'm the third of six kids. And I'm my mother's only hope in the foreseeable future for grandchildren. Christmas was right around the corner from our wedding, so we figured a good gift would be a nice frame and a picture from the wedding. We only had a few images back from the photographer at that time and when we gave the gift to my mother, she was excited about it and I said:

"Those are just a few photos we have done. When we get the rest back if you want to replace those photos with some of the family photos we took, you can do that if you want."

I don't know what happened in her brain to say these next few words: "Are you saying what I think you're saying?" Me, my wife, and my father all looked at her in a very confused manner. She says "Are... are you pregnant?"

So yeah, weird things happen when parents want grandbabies.