Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Star Wars discussion

Postby meow » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:21 pm

He also was there in ghost form at some point, can a sith do that?
Vader was at the end of VI, no?
Yes. (But bastardized in the Lucas revision).
Which does not count.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Star Wars discussion

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:23 pm

Agreed

MR25

Star Wars discussion

Postby MR25 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:28 pm

I was referring to the original, not Hayden Christensen

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Star Wars discussion

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:32 pm

I was referring to the original, not Hayden Christensen
Me too

tifosi77

Star Wars discussion

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:32 pm

I don't think balance means equal numbers. It is more equal power. So actual numbers don't really matter if one sith is as powerful as say 10 jedis.
I wasn't even talking about numbers. The force was overwhelmingly powerful on the light side. Anakin could only have been sith.
The Rule Of Two; one master (to embody power), one apprentice (to crave power). However, the existence of Darth Sidious (and his master, Darth Plagueis) was unknown to the Jedi Council at the time Anakin's apprenticeship was debated. It was believed that The Chosen One would bring balance to the Force by eliminating the Sith and restoring the Force to its natural state (light). Even years after Anakin had become a Jedi Knight, some on the Council (Yoda among them) believed that Skywalker was not the Chosen One, a belief underscored by his fall to the Dark Side as Darth Vader. It was only after Vader killed Sidious that the prophecy was fulfilled and Anakin brought balance to the Force with his own death immediately thereafter.

PFiDC

Star Wars discussion

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:40 pm

I don't think balance means equal numbers. It is more equal power. So actual numbers don't really matter if one sith is as powerful as say 10 jedis.
I wasn't even talking about numbers. The force was overwhelmingly powerful on the light side. Anakin could only have been sith.
It was believed that The Chosen One would bring balance to the Force by eliminating the Sith and restoring the Force to its natural state (light).
I guess balance means something different in that world.

PFiDC

Star Wars discussion

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:41 pm

Sith lives matter
Ban the rebel flag

tifosi77

Star Wars discussion

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:01 pm

It was believed that The Chosen One would bring balance to the Force by eliminating the Sith and restoring the Force to its natural state (light).
The presence of Sith knocks the Force out of balance.

Avyran

Star Wars discussion

Postby Avyran » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Gfycat Video - Click to Play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H-_f9wEqnw

(Spoiler doesn't work, sorry.)

tifosi77

Star Wars discussion

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:32 pm

That is amazing. Kid straight up flashes a peace sign after high-fiving a Stormtrooper. Like a boss.

Jim

Star Wars discussion

Postby Jim » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:18 am

The presence of Sith knocks the Force out of balance.
Only if by "balance" you mean completely lopsided to one side...

Balance should mean equal, not completely devoid of the opposing side.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Star Wars discussion

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:30 am

The Jedi; masters of everything except semantics.

tifosi77

Star Wars discussion

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:58 am

Adam & Eve in Eden; all was fine and good (e.g. in balance) util Eve - the whore - ate from the tree of (carnal) knowledge. By introducing Adam to sex, Eve doomed mankind to a lifetime struggle to restore balance. (i.e. turned us into horndogs)

Think of it as your favorite soup. The natural state of things (light side) is when your soup is savory and delicious and the kind of thing that makes you think about your mom taking care of you. When the Sith are around, it's as if someone dumped a bottle of vinegar into the soup, knocking the flavor out of balance.

Kaiser

Star Wars discussion

Postby Kaiser » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:40 am

Eve mantooth was a saint

A SAINT

tifosi77

Star Wars discussion

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:05 pm

:lol:

nocera

Star Wars discussion

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:50 am

I figured I'd bring this discussion over from the Movies thread. Seemed appropriate.
Source of the post Dickie Dunn wrote:
- Darth Vader will not be the main antagonist in Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One, but will appear in the movie.

- The previously Josh Trank developed Boba Fett anthology movie has been delayed indefinitely.

- In its place, Phil Lord and Chris Miller are developing a young Han Solo anthology film that will be released May 25, 2018.

I think both Boba Fett and Han Solo films are bad ideas. Maybe this should go into the Star Wars thread, but the source universe is SO big and yet they want to focus on already well established characters. Boba Fett is one thing, but Han Solo? First, Harrison Ford IS Han Solo. I don't want to see somebody else portraying Han. Second, his intro in the theatrical version of Star Wars is perfect. He agrees to transport Luke and Ben, hints at his smuggling past, and shoots Greedo (first). I really don't need to know any more origin than that.

Rogue One is exciting because it's new characters, or at least ones without an already rich history, with an interesting story to tell.

I guess I wouldn't be oppose to, say, an Obi-Wan movie that bridges episodes 3 & 4. How Obi-Wan went from Jedi warrior to the "crazy old man" named Ben would be interesting. But there wouldn't, or shouldn't, have much action involved. I'd rather it be a character film with Kenobi dealing with the destruction of the republic and figuring out how to regain control.

Clams Herbert

Star Wars discussion

Postby Clams Herbert » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:26 am

I don't disagree with wanting to expand the universe. There is SO MUCh going on in Star Wars, I don't care to see how Han left the Imperial academy and became a lovable scoundrel. I'd like to see more Old Republic stuff.

tifosi77

Star Wars discussion

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 pm

The Han origin story is also the Chewbacca origin story; I'd love to see how they came to be a bonded pair. (As it were)

I can see both sides of the coin, as regards Boba Fett's origin story. On the one hand, part of his allure is that he's shady and you don't know anything about him other than he's the guy that caught Han Solo and was knocked into the giant sand vagina dentata. But on the other........ how freakin' badass would that movie be?????

Clams Herbert

Star Wars discussion

Postby Clams Herbert » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:45 pm

Well if you haven't watched The Clone Wars, and you're a Star Wars fan, you really should. It fleshes out the characters so well, and there's a good bit of Boba stuff in there. But seriously, the first season is a little kid friendly, but the next 5 are freaking intense and it's awesome. And also on Netflix.

tifosi77

Star Wars discussion

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:49 pm

I'm fuzzy on the whole canon thing..... is Clone Wars still canon? Or was it just the extended universe stuff (like the freakin' awesome Timothy Zahn books) that got clipped?

nocera

Star Wars discussion

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:50 pm

The Han origin story is also the Chewbacca origin story; I'd love to see how they came to be a bonded pair. (As it were)

I can see both sides of the coin, as regards Boba Fett's origin story. On the one hand, part of his allure is that he's shady and you don't know anything about him other than he's the guy that caught Han Solo and was knocked into the giant sand vagina dentata. But on the other........ how freakin' badass would that movie be?????
We already know the Boba Fett origin. He's the personal clone of Jango and watched his father get decapitated by Mace Windu. :face:

As for the Chewbacca aspect, that is pretty interesting. According to EU nonsense, "Chewbacca's life debt to Han Solo began after Solo, then an officer in the Imperial Navy, saved the Wookiee from slavery."

Side note: I love that the EU is no longer canon. What a bunch of rubbish.

nocera

Star Wars discussion

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm fuzzy on the whole canon thing..... is Clone Wars still canon? Or was it just the extended universe stuff (like the freakin' awesome Timothy Zahn books) that got clipped?
Here's what wookiepedia says:
On April 25, 2014, a StarWars.com press release confirmed that the films of the sequel trilogy would not adhere to the post–Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe,with further comments from LucasBooks Senior Editor Jennifer Heddle confirming that the EU as a whole is no longer considered canon. The EU has been re-termed "Legends," with related publications remaining in print under that banner.

Since then, the only previously published material still considered canon are the six original trilogy/prequel trilogy films and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film. Most material published after April 25—such as the Star Wars Rebels TV series and all novels beginning with A New Dawn—is also considered part of the new canon, on account of the creation of the Lucasfilm Story Group, which currently oversees continuity as a whole. Characters under the Legends banner are still available for use as needed, even if events concerning them are no longer canon.

tifosi77

Star Wars discussion

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:00 pm

Knowing the base facts surrounding Chewbacca/Han and Boba Fett is not the same thing as telling the origin story. Knowing that Thomas and Martha Wayne were shot in front of their bat-scared son, Bruce, does not preempt 'Batman Begins'. I think movies centered around those characters would be outstanding. It's like all the Marvel super hero movies; they can appear together in 'The Avengers' and they can support their own movies like 'Thor' or 'Iron Man' or what have you. I'd love to see them.

nocera

Star Wars discussion

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:07 pm

I see what you're saying, but let's be honest, Boba Fett was way cooler before they showed any of his back story. Boba Fett lost a lot of his mystique after learning that he was just a little clone brat sad about his daddy. What made him cool in the first place was how little we knew about him. Another movie would take even more mystique away. Especially if they try to make him the protagonist.

Clams Herbert

Star Wars discussion

Postby Clams Herbert » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:18 pm

Yeah Boba Fett kind of took off simply because there was nothing to know about him other than his awesome armor, and he talked to Darth freaking Vader like he was no big deal.