Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu May 09, 2019 10:03 am

The only republican I’ve ever voted for in a presidential election was Romney. If Biden is the nominee, he has my vote. If it’s warren, Harris or Bernie then it’s third party or no one.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu May 09, 2019 10:05 am

I'm pretty sure NAN posts here and is a red.

Even if you break down left vs. right in here, seemingly that breaks with how the popular vote played out in the US almost :pop:
:thumb: I'm open to some left stuff, but definitely lean right.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu May 09, 2019 10:07 am

I’m extremely fiscally conservative and pretty socially liberal.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu May 09, 2019 10:10 am

Even if you break down left vs. right in here, seemingly that breaks with how the popular vote played out in the US almost :pop:
That's called "the stranger" i think

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 09, 2019 10:11 am

I always knew NAN was a fascist.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 09, 2019 10:11 am

I was told as you grow older and wiser, you start to go right. Not sure that's true for our generation, though.
Don't trust anything the boomer generation says. They dumb.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 09, 2019 10:15 am

I was told as you grow older and wiser, you start to go right. Not sure that's true for our generation, though.
i find myself veering more towards center these days. which is technically "right". there are things like FREE COLLEGE!!! and the kids gloves treatment of islam that turn me away from the leftyist of lefties. i consider people like AOC to be extremists to a certain extent, and that doesn't make me comfortable.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu May 09, 2019 10:20 am

i find myself veering more towards center these days. which is technically "right". there are things like FREE COLLEGE!!! and the kids gloves treatment of islam that turn me away from the leftyist of lefties. i consider people like AOC to be extremists to a certain extent, and that doesn't make me comfortable.
I dislike the far left and fear how they want to change society far more than I would someone to the far right.

If I had to scale myself 1-10, with 1 being the far left and 10 being the far right, I'd be about a 6.5.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu May 09, 2019 10:23 am

I just don’t understand how the left or right gets brought up when speaking of Trumps actions. He is an obvious piece of trash, regardless of party. And it still happens pretty consistently. There is no person in politics in America which any sort of far reaching power remotely similar to this man.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu May 09, 2019 10:31 am

Has anyone gone from left to right on here?
NP was all for Bernie but then went to Trump.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu May 09, 2019 10:46 am

Are you trying to be funny? That's the 2nd time this week you've mentioned that and it's not remotely true

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu May 09, 2019 10:51 am

Are you trying to be funny? That's the 2nd time this week you've mentioned that and it's not remotely true
I thought you were all for Bernie in the primary.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu May 09, 2019 10:52 am

Chicago Cubs ban fan who made ‘disgusting’ hand gesture associated with white power on air:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... 8c027fa142

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu May 09, 2019 10:55 am

Pretty sure that's called the circle game... if you can get someone to look at that below your waist, you get to hit them in the arm.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu May 09, 2019 11:00 am

gottem

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu May 09, 2019 11:03 am

MSNBC blurred it out

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2019 11:04 am

I'm shifting away from Libertarianism and more towards Conservatism. My support of UBI, I think, is where I started to know I could never be full Libertarian. But it's really an issue per issue stance, I don't really fit neatly into a doctrine.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:05 am

Where did that as a white power sign come from?
It's been the circle game forever it feels like. Just some random Klansman piggybacky on an immature excuse to punch someone in the arm.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 09, 2019 11:07 am

I just don’t understand how the left or right gets brought up when speaking of Trumps actions. He is an obvious piece of trash, regardless of party. And it still happens pretty consistently. There is no person in politics in America which any sort of far-reaching power remotely similar to this man.
I think the only thing truly grating to me is that Republicans have seemingly stood behind this guy because it allows them to truly do what they want and he takes the media heat. There are a few things though that have tipped the scale in the Dems favor:

I don't think Republicans can complain about the debt rising under Dems watch. They've done nothing but balloon it.

I don't think Republicans can complain about Obamacare anymore, because they couldn't repeal replace when they had control of the house, much less even had a plan.

I don't think Republicans can gripe about national emergency use anymore if a dem uses it as a nuclear option, because Trump seemingly did it and forgot about it, using it completely as a political tool.

For me, the Republicans have tied themselves to a few things they'd always complain about, and I don't know how real Republicans can defend that point that they haven't helped themselves. They'll still complain, such is life.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2019 11:07 am

Even as a gun owner, I do think that if someone commits a crime with a weapon that you own (unless reported stolen), you should face some type of legal issue because of enabling the access. I think that's already a thing, but I never see anyone actually get charged with it, post major incident like this.
They sued the estate of the mother in the Sandy Hook shooting. The shooter stole her gun and killed her. I would imagine they could press charges in this case as well.
I believe they should face the most severe case of legal recourse that they can receive, then. I'm fine w/guns being as available as they are, but if we're going to say they're serious, at most they need to start enforcing the laws that are in place to a much higher degree.
This will look very pedantic but just to keep things straight the Sandy Hook Mother's Estate was sued in civil court, probably for wrongful death due to negligence/recklessness. When you talk about 'enforcing the laws that are in place' it looks like you're asking for criminal charges.

A pet peeve of mine is when a parent negligently leaves a weapon for someone to find and a person (child or adult) does something wrong with it the parents are often viewed as the victims and I think that is the completely wrong response. Pragmatic me thinks if a six year old finds a purse gun and shoots a three year old that the parents ought to be held accountable. The more...emotional...response is to feel bad for the parent and let the family grieve in peace without recourse as if the legal system someone works where the results of an action can substitute for an adjudicated punishment. I'm not going to hunt for it but I have seen the latter response on this board.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu May 09, 2019 11:09 am

It's been the circle game forever it feels like. Just some random Klansman piggybacky on an immature excuse to punch someone in the arm.

It was a reddit/4chan joke years ago to see how far the idiots in the media would take it. And now people are getting banned from public spaces for life. So pretty far.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 am

Even as a gun owner, I do think that if someone commits a crime with a weapon that you own (unless reported stolen), you should face some type of legal issue because of enabling the access. I think that's already a thing, but I never see anyone actually get charged with it, post major incident like this.
They sued the estate of the mother in the Sandy Hook shooting. The shooter stole her gun and killed her. I would imagine they could press charges in this case as well.
I believe they should face the most severe case of legal recourse that they can receive, then. I'm fine w/guns being as available as they are, but if we're going to say they're serious, at most they need to start enforcing the laws that are in place to a much higher degree.
This will look very pedantic but just to keep things straight the Sandy Hook Mother's Estate was sued in civil court, probably for wrongful death due to negligence/recklessness. When you talk about 'enforcing the laws that are in place' it looks like you're asking for criminal charges.

A pet peeve of mine is when a parent negligently leaves a weapon for someone to find and a person (child or adult) does something wrong with it the parents are often viewed as the victims and I think that is the completely wrong response. Pragmatic me thinks if a six year old finds a purse gun and shoots a three year old that the parents ought to be held accountable. The more...emotional...response is to feel bad for the parent and let the family grieve in peace without recourse as if the legal system someone works where the results of an action can substitute for an adjudicated punishment. I'm not going to hunt for it but I have seen the latter response on this board.
That's exactly it. I'm a parent, I'm a gun-owner. It's my full obligation that I go to great lengths to not be a statistic. Do I feel bad for the parents to have to go through that situation? Absolutely. Do I feel that they should be allowed to not face any criminal charges? Absolutely not, it's an accident that could have totally been avoided had the parent been as responsible as possible.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu May 09, 2019 11:12 am

Some trolls came up with it and started using it and when they were called out said "It just means OK, you people are crazy" or somthing to that effect. Once of Kavanaugh's groupies was flashing it during the hearings.
Last edited by Factorial on Thu May 09, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu May 09, 2019 11:14 am

I'd need more details on the Sandy Hook stuff but from what I recall she had the guns locked away and he broke in. If that is the case I think the estate being sued isn't right. He killed her as well, doesn't seem to me she should be responsible, but I likely don't have all the info.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu May 09, 2019 11:21 am

I'm shifting away from Libertarianism and more towards Conservatism. My support of UBI, I think, is where I started to know I could never be full Libertarian. But it's really an issue per issue stance, I don't really fit neatly into a doctrine.
I think I'm tethered to two fundamental beliefs. Unfettered capitalism is destabilizing as it encourages wealth concentration over any sort of equitable distribution of resources, and if that plays out on a long enough timeline, wealth disparities create social destruction. This is coupled with the belief that there are goods that the private market is fundamentally unable to provide. I think a good illustration of this would come from reading Michael Lewis' 5th risk book. There are a lot of things that the government does to keep us safe that we just don't know of. I don't naturally believe that the federal government should keep growing in order to provide those goods, I think the debate should be more between local, state and federal governments. There is a big void in our current society that used to contain goods that had been provided by local religious and social groups that have since lose influence over communal life. The government does possess other capabilities that could be used to encourage the developments that need to take place. I think the problem is, that distrust of government has allowed the serpents to occupy the positions in the local government that should be held by civically minded people, who are instead representatives of the entities that are exploiting the regions. I think this is best reflected pollution problems in places like LA. If the folks in state and local government are the ones allowing the polluters to destroy the land, people develop distrust of the government by not being able to separate good from bad governing.