Job and General Employment Thread

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:09 pm

Does anybody here actually get “dressed” for work when working from home? I’ve been in shorts and a t-shirt every day since March, and don’t intend to change from that pattern. Meanwhile, my wife dresses like she’s going in to the office each day even though she, too, is working from home.
Is she anti-hanky panky during business hours too?

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:10 pm

I just overheard the boss man on a call. He's worried about the company culture with people not being onsite. He wants people here so morale stays up. Obviously, with our group the opposite happened.
He doesn't realize that you don't have to be onsite to have morale, or to get work done (unless proven otherwise) He's a relic of a past era.

I get Lab stuff is hard to do at home, but outside of that if you don't have a legit reason to be in the office right now, one would hope he would realize it's best to let people stay home and work.
Before this all started, my department was trying to promote our workplace to more of a family/friend zone type of work where everyone should know everything about everyone. It was horrible. We were sitting in 2 hour groupthink meetings with the dumbest activities ever imagined. It drives me crazy when people want to turn your life outside of the workplace into a work environment. Just let me do my job.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:15 pm

No I don't dress up. And I disregarded a couple requests to go on camera during meetings. I assured them that I still look the same...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:24 pm

Nope. I haven't worn clothes in 5 months

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:26 pm

Since it got warm to the point where I stopped wearing my colder-weather sweats, it's been underpants and a t-shirt, all day, every day. I only pull on a pair of shorts when I go outside to get the mail.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:49 pm

Since it got warm to the point where I stopped wearing my colder-weather sweats, it's been underpants and a t-shirt, all day, every day. I only pull on a pair of shorts when I go outside to get the mail.
My man. A few months ago when our AC wasn’t cooling the second floor as well, I went this route.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:49 pm

Does anybody here actually get “dressed” for work when working from home? I’ve been in shorts and a t-shirt every day since March, and don’t intend to change from that pattern. Meanwhile, my wife dresses like she’s going in to the office each day even though she, too, is working from home.
Is she anti-hanky panky during business hours too?
For the most part, yes. I think she just wants to continue the routine to feel normal.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:53 pm

I don’t turn on my webcam for 99% of the meetings. Most of them were phone calls while in the office, so there’s no need to go further now. When I do have to turn on my webcam, I usually mess around by putting a custom background on. My last team meeting was a screenshot from my webcam used as the background with me listening in from my bed (my ‘office’ is a nook in our master bedroom), haha.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:09 pm

Oh, man. You can see your workspace from your bed? No good.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:26 pm

Oh, man. You can see your workspace from your bed? No good.
I love it, honestly. Right next to a window, so I get plenty of natural light when I want it. Wish I had 2” more clearance from side to side so that I could replace the desk with a traditional executive desk with drawers, but I’m totally fine with the way it is now.

My wife uses a spare bedroom as her office.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:06 am

I'm in an online training class right now for Trend Micro at work, and I think I may have the nicest instructor in the history of instructors. Him being Canadian checks out.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:13 am

Well I just found out my only backup/helping hand is leaving next week.

Just as people return to campus and spend money on things they need.

And I have a vacation in 3 weeks.

I'm f**ked.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:39 am

I have a job interview in a half an hour and I'm just not in the right headspace for it at all. Fake it till I make it for thirty minutes I guess.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:41 am

And there it is. I was asked to do a suitability analysis for "drop-in offices" for employees working remote. Scuttlebutt is that the 4,000 employees that COVID moved to remote are going to permanently stay remote.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:00 am

I have a job interview in a half an hour and I'm just not in the right headspace for it at all. Fake it till I make it for thirty minutes I guess.
Good luck fella :thumb:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:02 am

And there it is. I was asked to do a suitability analysis for "drop-in offices" for employees working remote. Scuttlebutt is that the 4,000 employees that COVID moved to remote are going to permanently stay remote.
We call it hoteling here. Basically just converting old cubes to shared spaces with a monitor, dock, and phone. If I ever have to go into the office for something in the future, I'm going to just hang out in our lab.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:54 am

Good luck fella :thumb:
The person that beat me out for the last promotion was on the interview panel. Fun.

I did okay. I'm sure I came across as depressed, because I'm unusually low in spirits right now and that doesn't go well with my already low-key nature.

I did my best, whatever happens happens. If I get promoted, cool. If I don't I'll have adequate time to work my law stuff on the side. There isn't a losing situation here, which is nice. I've always said job hunting while already in a good job should be fun.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:55 am

Source of the post I'm sure I came across as depressed
It's a gov't position, no? You're a shoe-in!

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Source of the post I'm sure I came across as depressed
It's a gov't position, no? You're a shoe-in!
:lol:

Good luck @dodint

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:20 pm

Shorts and t-shirt at home, but since I'm doing a split week I still have to go in with a golf shirt and jeans.

I went in once with short/t-shirt after a doc's appt. I figured nobody would notice since my office is on the other side of the building and the other three who are usually in are on the opposite side of the building. I even took the back steps so nobody would see me, and every one of them saw me in a different hallway going back to my office.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Earlier this summer my agency did a re-organization and I opted to take an enterprise role, relinquishing my local responsibilities here in Pittsburgh. They've posted my former job, under a Direct Hire Authority (it's a high need area and they can be faster and less restrictive on some of the hiring process). If anyone is interested in an IT Information Security job with a wide range of responsibilities and regular telework (2 days a week when things were normal, more now) I can walk you through applying for the position and if your resume meets the requirements I'll let you list me as a reference. It's more of a policy/compliance role rather than a technical play-with-tools role. You would be working on a lot of accreditation, account validations, validation of physical security measures (I used to tour dam's once a month, was fun), etc.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/575896400

Not having a Top Secret (or any) clearance would reduce your likelihood of being interviewed. But if you do get it they'll pay for that clearance and you can print money with it later if you eventually shift to private sector work.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:09 pm

I'm shocked that they list the salary on that page. I can count on one hand how many jobs I've applied for where I had an idea of the salary ahead of time.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:12 pm

It's General Schedule. The salary range is the GS-12 pay band adjusted for Pittsburgh. If you come in from the private sector you'll start at $79,003. Unless you're already working in the field and can demonstrate your current job pays more, then you'll start at the Step just above your current pay. So, with demonstrated experience and earnings, you could come in at $102,709.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... l/PIT.aspx

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Oh, and if I get that promotion I interviewed this morning I will *not* be your boss. The division my old job was in has been spun away from the enterprise branch I am trying to supervise.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:14 pm

That's refreshingly open. :thumb: I had to spend an hour searching SharePoint to find our pay grade chart to make sure that I wasn't at the top of the bracket. :lol: