Colossal TV Show thread

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:48 am

First episode of midnight mass was pretty interesting, my wife was done with the show before the episode ended. I'll give it another couple episodes to see what the hell is going to happen. I was hoping it would just be a cat monster series, but I don't think that's going to happen.

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:32 am

I'm on the 8th episode of Season 6 of Lucifer. Not as good as previous seasons, you can tell they are wrapping it up. But I've always enjoyed the show and excited to see how it ends.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:48 am

The largest audience for comedy is men.
So you're saying women don't have a sense of humor. Interesting...
:slug:

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:55 am

Anyone here watch Bob's Burgers? My wife has been super into it lately and I've gotten some chuckles out of it while its on in the background.

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:10 pm

Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

I've been watching the Ken Burns' Muhammad Ali documentary. As per usual, it's very good. Ali was an interesting dude. Evidently, he had a training compound in PA that's still open - Deer Lake, near you easterners.
His facility is about 15 minutes south of Pottsville on PA 61. I've probably driven by it a half dozen times and never realized it. Buried up in coal country, the last place I would ever expect to see that.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:13 pm

First episode of midnight mass was pretty interesting, my wife was done with the show before the episode ended. I'll give it another couple episodes to see what the hell is going to happen. I was hoping it would just be a cat monster series, but I don't think that's going to happen.
I think I'm 5 or 6 eps in. It's interesting but man, it is slow. I'm a guy who enjoys slow burn horror, but O struggle to remain interested during some of the scenes where characters talk for 10+ min straight with no plot movement. There are more soliloquies in MM than most Shakespearean dramas.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:03 pm

Anyone here watch Bob's Burgers? My wife has been super into it lately and I've gotten some chuckles out of it while its on in the background.
I watch it with the wife, she loves it. I got her the cookbook last year. The cookbook is nice, kind of tricked her into making tasty burgers.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:15 pm

These last few years have been rough, but I can usually find two or three moments/skits per show that are genuinely funny. I was kind of hoping Cecily, Pete, and Kate were going to be done. As much as I like them, the show needs some new blood. Kate in particular feels too big for the show. Her new characters have this weird meta about them where we know it's Kate in character, Kate knows it's Kate in character, and the other characters know it's Kate in character... and isn't that hilarious!?
The funny thing, aside from a couple golden runs of years, the majority of SNL episodes are that way, in that maybe you get one great sketch and then a bunch of meh. We only remember the great sketches that stood the test of time. I've been watching a bunch of old episodes from Peacock, specifically the Farley years and also the early Ferrell years, and I can say, there were a ton of duds then too. I can also say, holy hell was Jan Hooks underrated, and Phil Hartman is still the GOAT.

Bang on with meta-Kate. It's very tiresome to watch. If that were her schtick from the get-go maybe it would've worked, but the contrast between her first several years and her last few is too stark not to notice. I assumed she was on her way out, hence the performances. Let someone like Chloe Fineman try to take her spot.

Pete's done some quality work with videos, but I won't ever miss him in a sketch, mostly because he has the worst case of cue card eyes/delivery of anyone in the cast. :lol:

And I'm happy to see Cecily stick around. I also thought she'd leave due to how frequently she wasn't around these past couple years due to personal stuff. I think she's one of the best pure actors in the cast, and you need that type of presence in sketch from time to time, it can't all be wink wink nudge nudge.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:23 pm

I simply cannot get into SNL anymore. I can watch clips with certain people, and that’s about it.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:46 pm

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:24 pm

Looks familiar to me....

Sam's Drunk Dog

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:51 pm

Anyone else watch Schmigadoon! on Apple TV? For being a musical, which I have absolutely no interest, and a comedy, it had its moments. Cecily Strong, Keegan-Michael Key, Kristin Chenoworth, and Fred Armisen star in it.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:37 pm

Yaaaaaaaassssssssssss!!!

I watched this series last year and liked it so much I was going to rewatch it this October, but they're going to continue it with new episodes.

I may still rewatch last year, they stitched them all together in a three hour long compilation.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:38 pm

Appreciate the Ted Lasso spoilers. I'll be there in a sec. I don't know if there's something going on with me personally but now i just teared up as a man went down on a woman. Pretty f'ing funny

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:48 am

1. Watch Sex Education on Netflix

2. Squid Game: I like it

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:02 pm

Another fantastic episode of Ted Lasso.
- Again, the team being one win away from promotion feels unearned, but whatever I guess. In retrospect I wish that the two filler episodes, which I greatly enjoyed, added to the narrative instead of being standalone But again again, a simple mention of their league performance during one of the FA Cup episodes would have completely negated the issue.

- Something is up with the African billionaire. Don't trust him. Don't believe him.

- I'm gonna miss Doc. She was a great addition to the team.

- Interesting to see where this take Roy and Keely. I think they come back stronger from it.

- **** NATE! I felt annoyed, empathetic towards, and straight up angry all in the course of 45 minutes. Dude would still be a kitman if it wasn't for Ted and Beard and instead of being grateful he turns into a **** snake. Good on Trent Crimm, The Independent, though. Interesting to see the fallout with the team, the coaches, and Ted's secret being public.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:23 pm

Ted Lasso:

- I really liked the Beard episode. It was weird and very different, just like Beard. I'm glad the rest of the series isn't like that episode, but as a one-off I thought it was great.

- Last week's episode was fantastic. Extremely heartfelt.

Spoilers since LL is just joining the Led Tasso party:
- If I have one complaint about this season it's that there hasn't been enough about the actual soccer. Not even specifically on the field stuff. Two episodes left this season and there hasn't been a mention of their league performance or position since Nate turned himself into the Wonder Kid like a month ago.

- I didn't notice it initially because I was trying to convince a five month old that tummy time doesn't suck, but after Rupert told Rebecca that Bex was going to gift her shares of AFC Richmond to her, he immediately goes and has a brief one-sided conversation with Nate and then gives him a pat on the shoulder. What is he up to? Was it a "why the **** you wearing a grey suit to a funeral?" comment? Or is he up to something nefarious like buying a rival club. Watching the scene again, his "no time for footie anymore!" comment seems disingenuous and I think he's up to something.
That first spoiler seems to be a common complaint about this season.
I like the focus on the characters, and it was definitely needed in this season, but I do wish soccer played a slightly larger role. I think it will in the last few episodes, though. My guess is this season ends in promotion and next (and possibly last) season is all about winning the whole **** thing.
Promotion would be an absolutely STUNNING and unearned development in my opinion. To the best of my knowledge the last mention we see of their league performance is on the white board in the locker room during the Christmas episode, which shows the squad with a 4-14-4 record for 26 points. I don't remember a mention of their place, but 26 points at Christmas last season would have put them 17th out of 24. Norwich and Watford paced the ELC with 97 and 91 points. Bournemouth took the last promotion playoffs spot with 77 points. When we last see their record there are 24 matches and 72 points left on the table. Based on last year's table they would have to match Norwich's points percentage over the remainder of the season to sneak into the promotion playoffs, which is something I would hope they dedicate more than one episode to.

The creative team has publicly stated that this season is their Empire Strikes Back, so something bad is going to happen in these final two episodes. I don't think promotion is even a consideration, but that undermines the "win the whole **** thing" at the end of S1 given the three season plan for the show.
My Ted Lasso take: You can't complain about the realism of any of the soccer content when the entire premise of the show (hiring a D2 american football coach with zero soccer experience to coach an EPL team) is something that would never happen in a million years. And yall are dissecting the minutiae of Championship league promotion? I mean, really now :lol: . As far as I'm concerned, if you stayed on past Ep 1 then you've effectively said you don't care about the realism of the sport-side of the show.
SpeculationL Since S1 ended with a soccer disappointment, but optimistic people, I'm guessing S2 will end with a soccer success, but something bad on the "human" side of things, which is fine since it's a people show, not a soccer show.
Ted Lasso:
My bet is that Rupert is whispering in Nate's ear that he shouldn't be playing second fiddle behind a washed up has been and two dumb Americans. Nate's going to get an interview or something and an opportunity to spill the beans on the staff. Beard is coaching high, Ted runs away from any pressure, if it weren't for me our team would be in the ****.
He's spent this whole season trying to impress his father and find validation only to be turned away. He's turning to the dark side and attempting to sink the whole ship.
nailed it

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:12 pm

Do better Netflix

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:15 pm

I had a feeling that would happen...
Apparently Seinfeld will be remastered in 4k when it comes to Netflix. Should be interesting.
Original aspect ratio or bust.

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:17 pm

wonder how many boom mics are going to show up

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:30 pm

wonder how many boom mics are going to show up
From the screenshots, it looks like Seinfeld was shot in 4x3, so when shown in widescreen it's cropped. They're actually removing parts of the image included in "square" aspect ratio. So dumb.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:24 pm

I started the first episode and couldn't make it through. The aspect ratio just makes the show feel... off. I'll stick to the DVDs

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:47 pm

I watched a Starz version of The Great Outdoors the other day and it felt similar, something was off with the aspect ratio.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:54 pm

Jon Bernthal Returning In Rebooted Punisher Series, Our Scoop Confirmed
When it came to the Netflix Universe of Marvel characters, one of the true bright spots, relatively speaking, was Jon Bernthal as Frank Castle/ Punisher. Appearing first as the antagonist, and then very much a protagonist in the second season of Daredevil, he was easily the best version of the character we had seen on the big or small screen. And it was going to be disappointing if the role was recast when that group of characters moved to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Not only is that not the case, but the Giant Freakin Robot exclusive has also been confirmed by Small Screen and Bernthal is returning in a rebooted Punisher series for the MCU. If there was going to be any character to move over from Netflix, Bernthal was definitely the guy.

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:07 pm

That's good news about the Punisher. Although I disagree that he was the only bright spot. Maybe I'm in the minority, but Daredevil hit it out the park, and I thought Luke cage was good and the first 2 seasons of Jessica Jones was really good.