COVID-19

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:54 pm

:lol:

DigitalGypsy66

COVID-19

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:06 pm

It's like an Onion article. Seriously. Unbelievable, and I'm sure if it works there other southern states will try it.

Ad@m

COVID-19

Postby Ad@m » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:07 pm

@count2infinity

WTF is this?

Viral illness, branded ‘PSFlu’ by students, impacts Penn State University Park

https://www.wearecentralpa.com/health/c ... sity-park/

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:13 pm

That's some mighty fine reporting by channel 6.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:16 pm

It’s probably from the masks they’re all wearing.

RonnieFranchise

COVID-19

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:15 pm

My kid had it. Negative for COVID but he was miserable for a week.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:25 pm

“My one professor has this rule that unless you have a positive COVID test, then you’ll have points taken off your grade if you miss class,” said Fager. “So, I have to go to that class.”
Seriously though **** that professor.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:02 pm

The Public Continues to Underestimate COVID’s Age Discrimination
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/09 ... ation.html
According to that data, an unvaccinated 10-year-old, who may look like the very picture of COVID vulnerability heading into the school year, faces a lower mortality risk than a vaccinated 25-year-old, whom we might today regard as close to safe as can be. In England, the incidence of hospitalization among unvaccinated kids was lower than that of those vaccinated aged 18 to 29, and in recent weeks, the hospitalization rate among kids ages 5 to 14 has been only about one per 100,000. Over the course of the entire pandemic, which has killed more than 135,000 Brits, just one boy and seven girls between the ages of 5 and 9 have died; between the ages of 10 and 14, nine girls and five boys have died. These are all tragedies — and each means many more years of life lost than with a death among the elderly — but they are nevertheless relatively few in number. As schools reopened on the backslope of the U.K.’s Delta surge, there were about seven times as many British kids under age 5 hospitalized with the respiratory disease RSV as there were with COVID.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:53 pm

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... 0105992bdd

I’m sure there’s a reasonable explanation here…

Shyster

COVID-19

Postby Shyster » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:35 am

The Public Continues to Underestimate COVID’s Age Discrimination
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/09 ... ation.html
According to that data, an unvaccinated 10-year-old, who may look like the very picture of COVID vulnerability heading into the school year, faces a lower mortality risk than a vaccinated 25-year-old, whom we might today regard as close to safe as can be. In England, the incidence of hospitalization among unvaccinated kids was lower than that of those vaccinated aged 18 to 29, and in recent weeks, the hospitalization rate among kids ages 5 to 14 has been only about one per 100,000. Over the course of the entire pandemic, which has killed more than 135,000 Brits, just one boy and seven girls between the ages of 5 and 9 have died; between the ages of 10 and 14, nine girls and five boys have died. These are all tragedies — and each means many more years of life lost than with a death among the elderly — but they are nevertheless relatively few in number. As schools reopened on the backslope of the U.K.’s Delta surge, there were about seven times as many British kids under age 5 hospitalized with the respiratory disease RSV as there were with COVID.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I think this article makes a great point about where the focus should be on risk prevention and treatment, and that is on older people, not on kids. The risk of Covid increases exponentially as one gets older: every five to eight years of age roughly doubles your chances of dying. Vaccination "shifts the risk down," but it doesn't negate the risk. A vaccinated 80-year-old has about the same mortality risk as an unvaccinated 50-year-old, and an unvaccinated 30-year-old has a lower risk than a vaccinated 45-year-old. Unvaccinated children are safer from COVID-19 death than vaccinated adults of any age, including those folks in their 20s who are at the peak of health. It is far, far more important--and will save far more lives--to focus on boosters for the elderly and immunocompromised than to vaccinate children.

Gaucho

COVID-19

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:22 am

LeBron has done the research.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:25 am

Source of the post It is far, far more important--and will save far more lives--to focus on boosters for the elderly and immunocompromised than to vaccinate children.
Or we could, you know, do both. This isn't hard.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:29 am

Yeah, both can happen, but I’m a little confused about the idea that that is what they should be doing… that’s what they did.

Just look at the Pfizer progression. Older and immunocompromised, front line workers, fatties and smokers, other adults, boosters for the elderly and compromised, and kids are coming next.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:38 am

Thread on the vaccine mandate and how it's going:

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:49 am

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying ... e-holdouts
Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving, vice president of the union, reportedly has not been vaccinated. Unless he is given an exemption or gets vaccinated, Irving could miss all of Brooklyn’s home games so long as New York City’s indoor vaccine mandate is in place, potentially costing the team wins and forfeiting millions of dollars.

“Please respect my privacy,” Irving told reporters in a Zoom meeting Monday in response to questions about his vaccination status.

Irving recently liked Instagram posts from a user who claimed that vaccines implant microchips as part of “a plan of Satan,” a baseless conspiracy theory that has spread to other NBA locker rooms, according to Rolling Stone.
Los Angeles Lakers superstar LeBron James told reporters Tuesday that even though he decided to get vaccinated, he won’t use his platform to support vaccinations like he did to protest police brutality against Black Americans.

“We’re not talking about something political, or racism or police brutality,” James said. “We’re talking about people’s bodies and well-being. I don’t think I personally should get involved in what other people should do for their bodies and livelihoods.”
Why be an advocate for something that could actually save thousands of Black lives? Fraud.

shmenguin

COVID-19

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:57 am

Not a fraud. Deeply cares about what he says he cares about.

He’s just very stupid.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:02 am

Does seem like the best case scenario for athletes is to be vaccinated and not talk about it. Getting these guys to talk about covid only has downside

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:08 am

Plus, the whole nba China thing revealed the extent of lebron’s capacity for being a voice for good or anything

robbiestoupe

COVID-19

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:12 am

It's sad enough that we (humans) are banking on athletes to garner up support for a vaccine when we've already had thousands (millions?) of doctors and virologists, who study this stuff for a living, tell us to get vaccinated.

shmenguin

COVID-19

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:12 am

Does seem like the best case scenario for athletes is to be vaccinated and not talk about it. Getting these guys to talk about covid only has downside
Every one of these bozo’s has a veiled “I did it because they made me and I’m not convinced it was the right choice” undertone.

But the Lebron type of word salad is probably at least somewhat helpful. Neutral at worst. It’s all just a big example of most pro athletes not having to develop critical thinking skills to get by in life.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:29 am

Every one of these bozo’s has a veiled “I did it because they made me and I’m not convinced it was the right choice” undertone.

But the Lebron type of word salad is probably at least somewhat helpful. Neutral at worst. It’s all just a big example of most pro athletes not having to develop critical thinking skills to get by in life.
Right, like what the hell is Lebron going to say? "I got the vaccine because I don't want to get Covid".

I do think that the divide between (I think being subjective is appropriate here) logical people who got vaccinated and anti-vaxers is basically institutionalists versus conspiracy minded, contrarian, anti-institution folks. And that does cross party lines to an extent.

And the biggest institutionalists entity right now is the democratic party, so that really does explain a healthy chunk of the normally sane GOP'ers being opposed to the vax. The hesitancy among the black-athlete ranks probably correlates with the conspiracy minded portions of the black community. I guess a tough one to pin down is someone like DeChambeau, he is probably part anti-democratic party and conspiracy-minded, but more of the like woo-woo astrology sect of conspiracy minded.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:50 am

Got the flu shot last week, at home with the flu this week.

COINCIDENCE? Feels like this always happens lol

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:59 am

Isn’t Kyrie a flat earther?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:08 am

Isn’t Kyrie a flat earther?
I think it was more of a schtick than anything but Kyrie is a dumb dude. He does donate a lot of his time and money bettering his community but I’ve always found him annoying and I’m not surprised he isn’t vaccinated

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:18 am

Again, get vaxxed or don't, but if you don't and you're a prominent figure, you need to shut the **** up.

There needs to be some accountability by the teams to keep their employees mouths shut.

Kyrie - STFU

Lebron - not wrong, but what good does it do anyone for LeBron to release a statement that sounds completely forced?