Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Oh yes.

eddy

Politics And Current Events

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:01 pm

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Person who believes in ghosts Rick Perry says that his favorite ghost chose Trump.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:11 pm

Person who believes in ghosts Rick Perry says that his favorite ghost chose Trump.
What is the purpose of this post other than to bash religion?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:18 pm

Casper is my favorite ghost and he wouldn’t pick Trump.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Casper is my favorite ghost and he wouldn’t pick Trump.
Space Ghost might pick him.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:33 pm

Bashing rick perry

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:49 pm

:lol:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:52 pm

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:27 pm

Bashing rick perry
It’s possible to do that without attacking people’s religious beliefs.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:40 pm

Bashing rick perry
It’s possible to do that without attacking people’s religious beliefs.
Forgive me then.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 pm

Hack Barr and the DOJ already said they’re appealing.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:01 pm

To give a little inside baseball, on a constitutional question like this one, the trial judge's decision functionally means squat. Constitutional/statutory interpretation is considered a "question of law," and when it comes to questions of law, an appellate court (such as the DC Circuit or the SCOTUS) is not obliged to give any deference to the trial judge's decisions, interpretations, or analysis. Each level of the judicial system examines legal questions de novo ("of new").

That contrasts with questions of fact, where an appellate court is obliged to defer to the lower tribunal's findings (which might have been made by a judge, a jury, or an administrative agency, depending upon the type of case).

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:13 pm

As a lawyer, do you find the merits of the doj argument on the level?

Or do you see legislative oversight in the same way as an individuals dealing with law enforcement?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:12 pm

As a lawyer, do you find the merits of the doj argument on the level?

Or do you see legislative oversight in the same way as an individuals dealing with law enforcement?
I am pretty much always supportive of people refusing to answer questions from the government. I'm not entirely convinced that "legislative oversight" in this sort of context (that is, Congress having direct oversight over the executive itself) actually exists, although I have not yet made up my mind on the issue.

This is totally not a black-and-white area, and I think all of these questions will end up at the SCOTUS. And even then, there are some decent arguments that the courts shouldn't be deciding these questions anyway due to the political question doctrine.

A bunch of high-powered con-law lawyers are going to totally make bank over this. Wish I had a piece of that action.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:32 pm

Big surprise, Shyster falls on the side of his views.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:17 am

He also said Obama was chosen.
Right? That's the first thing I noticed. You can debate the merits of saying *any* president is the "chosen one", but this tweet making it seem like Perry is only saying that about Trump is deliberately misleading.

Has it been too many years to remember school and church choirs singing hymns and songs replacing "Jesus" with "Obama" after he was elected? Or the Nobel Peace Prize? Or renaming schools and other stuff after him before he even did anything in office? When Obama was elected, he was most definitely looked upon as a messiah by many on the Left, especially African-American people. There was most definitely some cult of personality stuff going on with him too. It's just more run-of-the-mill partisan crap.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:27 am

Difference is that God probably looks at Trump and thinks “Every single one of this man’s traits are the opposite of what I envisioned man to be”

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:35 am

To the current point, that’s why I enagaged Freddy on Determinism, since Perry was stating that God chooses our Presidents.

To the past points, the Nobel was a joke and there was no way to justify it. I nearly vote for Mittens because of Obama’s love of drone strikes.
I never heard of Jesus -> Obama hymns, that’s ridiculous if it happened for more than a viral vid. Schools will be named after the guy, though. Now or later it doesn’t matter. He’s the first black president and should be honored accordingly.

And again, not to two side it, but I can remember Conservatives in here and over at LGP railing about the cult of personality around Obama and how wrong it was. Well, well, well, how the turntables have turned. :lol:

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:40 am

Difference is that God probably looks at Trump and thinks “Every single one of this man’s traits are the opposite of what I envisioned man to be”
God picked some horrible people to lead and do good work through in the Bible. If you believe as Perry does, that means he also chose the villains in some of the stories like Pharoah and Herod to lead.

So you’re right, it all about the lense you look through.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:27 am

Well, there is a school in Pittsburgh named after Obama.

Ted

Postby Ted » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:28 am

Uber license pulled in London. Bless the dopey souls that were excited about that stock going public.

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:34 am

I've been on a history binge over the last 2 years and the biggest takeaway I'm getting from it is how people in power will use whatever they can (religion, culture, war, economic conditions, food insecurity, whatever) to stay in power and grow that power. How very few times that someone could hold power and willingly let it go you could probably count on one hand.
I'm a Christian, but the idea of whomever is in power being "the chosen one" is just dumb.

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:37 am

God picked some horrible people to lead and do good work through in the Bible. If you believe as Perry does, that means he also chose the villains in some of the stories like Pharoah and Herod to lead.

So you’re right, it all about the lense you look through.
So all it's really saying is that it is what it is. Being the "chosen one" doesn't confer any special respect or honor. Terrible people in power still deserve to be resisted and just because you're in charge doesn't mean God approves of your actions.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:38 am

It's not really that dumb if you understand it in context of God's providence and sovereignty over all things.

"Chosen" is doing too much work here. It simply means that God has ordained all things that come to pass and in that sense every mayor, governor, and president is "chosen".