Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:45 am

Why can't you give Trump credit for solving a problem he created himself?!?!?!?!?!??!

#unhinged

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:42 am

The notion that we’re all sitting here disappointed because Iran wasn’t bombed...Jesus.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:19 am

Nobody's disappointed we didn't bomb Iran. We're disappointed bombing Iran is a discussion we have to have now.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:58 am

Nobody's disappointed we didn't bomb Iran. We're disappointed bombing Iran is a discussion we have to have now.
But we didn’t. So there’s literally nothing to be concerned about. TDS strikes again, I guess.

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Apparently Trump authorized sir strikes against Iran, then remanded the order.
:pop: :face: :thumbdown:
Kind of ridiculous seeing the new's folks buy into the notion that Trump is the one keeping his administration from war.

Yeah, maybe Bolton wouldn't hesitate, but the only reason Trump has held back to this point is because he doesn't want negative media coverage.

This was the logical outcome of the US violating the nuclear deal with Iran.
I think if Trump goes to war with Iran, he should be continually lambasted for this being nothing more than re-election positioning. This dude is putting people's lives at risk to stay out of real legal trouble.
I think if Trump goes to war with Iran, he should be continually lambasted for this being nothing more than re-election positioning. This dude is putting people's lives at risk to stay out of real legal trouble.
I don't even think it's that.

His dipshit son-in-law is acting as errand boy for the Saudis, Israel and the UAE who want to quash Iran. Trump will go to war, he doesn't give a ****. He just wants make sure the media treats him like a war-hero for taking out the pesky Iranians.
Also, speaking of disingenuous: the response by the in-name-only anti-war left to Trump NOT retaliating against Iran is LAUGHABLE... as are most responses from the unhinged American Left, broadly, anymore: "Sure, he didn't take the 2 clear-cut lay-up free-pass (in terms of 21st century American politics) provocations as an opportunity to expend ordnance down range... but obv he totally wants to, he just has to wait for a more perfect opportunity"... apparently? :lol:

Me, personally? I'm both STUNNED and mercifully GRATEFUL that a not-insignificant portion of my "tax" dollars managed to not be used to reduce Iranian men, women and children to ash. But that's just me... apparently...
If you're not included in that subset - congratulations.
Again, if you're not included in that subset, feel free to disregard.
Just one post after this I'm called a "Trumpster", presumably because I'm not expressing the appropriate level of suspicion or derision with regard to Trump deciding to not vaporize 150 Iranians. Hell, at one point someone (can't remember who - most of them all run together) said that Trump probably really does want to zap him some brown-skins, but this just wasn't quite the right situation. But yeah, he's not living rent-free in anyone's head. And yeah, I'm a closeted Trumpkin because I'm glad he didn't waste a bunch of people on my dime.
Well, would you look at that? Turns out I didn't say that anyone was disappointed that Trump didn't bomb Iran, did I? Hmmph... isn't that something?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:06 pm

That's my post at the top and was a comment on Trump repeatedly creating a crisis then dialing it back and wanting credit for averting said crisis. If you are interpreting that as "being disappointed" that he called off the bombing you're not paying attention.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:36 pm

I'm both STUNNED and mercifully GRATEFUL that a not-insignificant portion of my "tax" dollars managed to not be used to reduce Iranian men, women and children to ash. But that's just me... apparently...
Im not sure what other inference should be made from this, other than the lefty sheep being crestfallen that we didn’t drop any bombs.

Unless this is a sarcastic way to illustrate how people you don’t agree with are spinning themselves in circles with their logic. Either way, your messaging isn’t what you think it is.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Guinness is doing what he does pretty much every time he posts in here: calls the “left” out for being hypocritical, gets called on it by people he quoted, and then feigns surprise that anyone would push back on him. As he has repeated said, his position is unassailable and everyone else has holes in their position. So probably just time to take his advice and disregard.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:49 am

Chances of this happening?
Sanders to propose canceling entire $1.6 trillion in student loan debt

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:57 am

If negative chances mean more gets added to that number I pick -3858583827273648696959929181737475869493928485
Too much money tied up in high interest loans that can’t be gotten rid of through bankruptcy. Government guarantees the loans so even when they’re defaulted in it doesn’t matter.

There might be some argument to allowing bankruptcy to discharge the loans but that probably won’t happen either.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:43 am

It sounds nice, but I would say 0.0%.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:54 am

The person who owes $50K because they didn't want to share a dorm room and who now makes $250K a year doesn't need loan forgiveness. I know this is not a typical case but it's silly to want to forgive all this debt.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:00 am

No way this would happen. I'm sure whoever is lobbying for the loan servicers have enough congressman in their pockets to prevent any such change to the student loan system.

Makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit, but that dumb Sasse/Klobuchar proposal for reforming education policy makes more sense than this.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:04 am

I don't need loan forgiveness. I make a good salary, I can pay back what I owe. There are certainly situations; however, that I think loan forgiveness is warranted. I would think it should be on an application basis.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:05 am

Do all of the people who busted ass to pay off their loans get a break?

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 am

that would be nice, I just paid mine off last year after 13 years and I had a little celebration. I would welcome another celebration.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:08 am

I mean I'd love if my wife could get her 200k worth of student loans forgiven, but neither of us expect that. It's almost a 2nd mortgage payment for us, but she makes a good salary and can afford to pay it back. In an ideal world would I love not to fork out that extra $$$ a month... sure.. but it is what it is.

I do think in general though the student loan game is geared to put people in debt. I also think though that people need to be realisitic on what they are getting degrees in. Getting a liberal arts degree or what not and going 150k in debt is not the smartest thing to do, but no one tells an 18 year old that for whatever reason. I think it should also be encouraged and to tell kids its ok to go learn a trade and not go to a 4 year college.. in some cases I think you can end off better off that way if you go that route.

Edit: It took me about 15 years to pay my school debt off, but i paid every cent of it off.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:10 am

Crazy idea - Tuitions should be regulated

if you can’t justify your cost with anything other than “free market” - you won’t get to decide how much to charge anymore.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:10 am

For the record, I think the student debt forgiveness rules are overly penal and out of date.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:13 am

I think other action can be taken other than just straight forgiveness. How about better interest rates?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:14 am

Man, tell me about it.

I'm in a weird position as a college professor at a private school that relies on students ringing up student debt, but I can't help to think that a good number of the rocket scientists that darken the hallways of our fine institution would be better served at a community college or technical training.

But we sell "come to our college and continue to play your sport!" so we have 60-70% of our student population are athletes on DII teams that don't win much of anything.

But then we have stories of one of our work study students, who was a first generation college student. She graduated with honors and $120K in debt and is heading to grad school in the fall to tack on another $50K or so to become a physician. A very diligent student who worked two jobs to pay rent, books, and some of her tuition...she deserves a break.

The talk about reparations is interesting, but imagine the boost the economy would get if thousands of people had their student loans wiped...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:14 am

Crazy idea - Tuitions should be regulated

if you can’t justify your cost with anything other than “free market” - you won’t get to decide how much to charge anymore.
As long as the government is fronting all the money for tuition, seems like a logical item to pair with that.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:14 am

Getting a liberal arts degree or what not and going 150k in debt is not the smartest thing to do, but no one tells an 18 year old that for whatever reason. I think it should also be encouraged and to tell kids its ok to go learn a trade and not go to a 4 year college.. in some cases I think you can end off better off that way if you go that route.
Yeah... the education system is broken. I certainly think there are actions that can be taken to give an 18 year old kid better/more information before heading off to college.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:19 am

Getting a liberal arts degree or what not and going 150k in debt is not the smartest thing to do, but no one tells an 18 year old that for whatever reason. I think it should also be encouraged and to tell kids its ok to go learn a trade and not go to a 4 year college.. in some cases I think you can end off better off that way if you go that route.
Yeah... the education system is broken. I certainly think there are actions that can be taken to give an 18 year old kid better/more information before heading off to college.
correct. I partly took a job at a university knowing that my kids would have free tuition if that's the route they wanted to take. Only dilemma I think I'll be in, is they are way smarter than me and if they continue to work hard will have pick of much better universities that will riddle them with debt.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:25 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/24/us-iran ... -east.html
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday he wants to build a global coalition against Iran during urgent consultations in the Middle East, following a week of crisis that saw the United States pull back from the brink of a military strike on Iran.

Pompeo spoke as he left Washington for Saudi Arabia, followed by the United Arab Emirates, Sunni Arab allies that are alarmed by Shiite Iran’s increasing assertiveness and are working to its influence in the region.
Donald the Dove sending his SOS to SA and the UAE to talk about the threat of Iran. Wonder how that will go.