5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

willeyeam

5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby willeyeam » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:48 pm

delpanther is comfortably in my top 5 least favorite internet personas
1. slappy
2. delpanther
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Matt said there is a lot of smoke for Hurley to stay at URI. Pitt fans need to come to the reality that this isn't the plum job every coach wants. Even when the financial commitment is there. We had it great with Dixon and wanted him gone.

Also, I think no one showing up to the Pete these past two years at the first sign of things going bad didn't help much at all.

Just my opinion. I still think we get a good coach, but the fanbase and media will just blame Pitt even though the admin went all out to get a top candidate. And they won't even give the new coach a chance.
I mean yea. That's been the case for a long long time.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:02 pm

who thinks pitt is a plum job?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Good thing Pitt hired a search firm to come up with Hurley as candidate 1A and Miller as candidate 1B. That really took some hard work and creative thinking.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:35 pm

Notice the first response to this tweet
A caption contest might be in order as to what Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi is sharing on his phone with athletic director Heather Lyke at Pro Day Wednesday.
https://t.co/9BNFigPF9V

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:37 pm

who thinks pitt is a plum job?
People on pantherlair. The dumbasses.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 pm

If it's taking Hurley this long to decide if he wants to make $3.2MM/year to coach Pitt I'd say it's probably safe to assume that he's not interested.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:03 am

If it's taking Hurley this long to decide if he wants to make $3.2MM/year to coach Pitt I'd say it's probably safe to assume that he's not interested.
Supposedly he is accepting uconn and they are paying him 3.1

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:25 am

Dan Hurley is taking the UConn job, reports say
https://t.co/vJmsdWNZ0n

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:00 am

So Lyke didn't want to tie her AD hire to hiring Miller, but went all in on Hurley and got burned. Now she gets to tie her AD to hiring someone she didn't really want. Sweet.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:24 am

What a Canaan

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:26 am

So Lyke didn't want to tie her AD hire to hiring Miller, but went all in on Hurley and got burned. Now she gets to tie her AD to hiring someone she didn't really want. Sweet.
Their lawyers put the kibosh on Miller

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:18 am

I don't think that is the case. Let's see who we hire. They went for their #1 target and gave a very competitive offer. There are other choices.

What's funny is if she didn't do this, people would be saying Pitt was scared and cheap. They are in a no win situation it seems no matter what.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:22 am

part of being a self loathing pitt fan is reserving the right to criticize someone regardless of their decision

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am

I read that on PL and that is silly imo. The lawyers told them what the risks were; what the appetite for risk is up to Gallagher and Lyke. This isn't a situation where they are doing something illegal or approaching illegal; its a matter of here is what the risks are legally, you decide. That stuff can obviously be shaded and the lawyers will get asked their own opinions, but the idea that PItt's GC is deciding who to hire or not hire for this position is fantasyland stuff.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:48 am

We can’t have nice things

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:49 am

I read that on PL and that is silly imo. The lawyers told them what the risks were; what the appetite for risk is up to Gallagher and Lyke. This isn't a situation where they are doing something illegal or approaching illegal; its a matter of here is what the risks are legally, you decide. That stuff can obviously be shaded and the lawyers will get asked their own opinions, but the idea that PItt's GC is deciding who to hire or not hire for this position is fantasyland stuff.
Okay so if the risk was 99% that he's gonna be in deep doo doo per legal counsel..

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:59 am

I don't think that is the case. Let's see who we hire. They went for their #1 target and gave a very competitive offer. There are other choices.

What's funny is if she didn't do this, people would be saying Pitt was scared and cheap. They are in a no win situation it seems no matter what.
They identified what is consensus one of the one or two best candidates. They made him an offer that was a top 10 salary. He went somewhere else. How that is indicative that Pitt is blowing I just don't get. She inherited Barnes' mess, and canning Stallings was probably the right move long-term. She still needs to hit a home run (or at least a triple) with this hire, but again, this is the mob forcing her to carry baggage that goes back to Pederson and Wannstedt-->Haywood and then Barnes and Dixon-->Stallings. Everything is doom and gloom no matter what. Its brutal and she hasn't even hired someone yet! Its not like Hurley is the only option and without him this program will turn into UPS hoops permanently.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:00 am

Okay so if the risk was 99% that he's gonna be in deep doo doo per legal counsel..
Then it seems like everyone made the right decision in your hypothetical.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:05 am

Right so I guess technically they didn't put the kibosh on it but they very well may have said you're effed if you do it. Tomato tomahto

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:07 am

So most recent reports have them talking to Hopkins and Oats. I would be down with either of those guys. Hopkins would be an even better hire than Hurley, given in his first season at UW he took a team from 9-22 to 21-13 and won coach of the year in the PAC-12 (yes, I know the PAC-12 was terrible this season). Oats would be my second choice out of the mid-major guys if they can't get a P5 guy to move. Hopkins makes 1.8 right now.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:08 am

Right so I guess technically they didn't put the kibosh on it but they very well may have said you're effed if you do it. Tomato tomahto
There's a difference between those two things and its very much not a technicality imo.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:13 am

Sooooo this is a stupid **** rule:
@GoodmanESPN

Whoever takes the Pittsburgh job will have another hurdle to climb. Source told ESPN Pittsburgh has just two officials visits left until Aug. 1. Kevin Stallings and his staff used 19 their first year to sign 11 guys, 3 last year to sign 2 guys. Rules are you get 24 over 2 years.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Sooooo this is a stupid **** rule:
@GoodmanESPN

Whoever takes the Pittsburgh job will have another hurdle to climb. Source told ESPN Pittsburgh has just two officials visits left until Aug. 1. Kevin Stallings and his staff used 19 their first year to sign 11 guys, 3 last year to sign 2 guys. Rules are you get 24 over 2 years.
Goodman appears to be being Goodman again and only reporting half of this. People are replying to this tweet saying that there are exceptions for new coaching hires. Basically, if the departing/fired coach used 75%+, the new coach gets 25% back. In this case, Stallings used 76% of his visits, so the new coach will likely get something like 6 visits back.

I hope Dan Cage is paying Goodman well to do his smear campaigning for him.