Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Bear in mind we're talking about the entertainment industry, where I know of one guy who tried to expense $20,000 of actual hookers and blow from a Vegas trip.
Was he in sales, and was he entertaining a prospective client?
1) iirc, yes

2} "personal use"

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:49 pm

I hadn't seen here that Pelosi (finally) called for Conyers to head for an old folks home.

Good.
Seek out the video. It's like pulling teeth, she is clearly not sincere in her remarks.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:54 pm

I hadn't seen here that Pelosi (finally) called for Conyers to head for an old folks home.

Good.
Seek out the video. It's like pulling teeth, she is clearly not sincere in her remarks.
Well...that's shitty. The others need to go, to.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Chuck Grassley only likes rich people.
“I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing, as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies,”
https://iowastartingline.com/2017/12/03 ... en-movies/

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:07 pm

That's kind of an amazing collection of words to affirmatively assemble together in a sentence.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:10 pm

Chuck Grassley only likes rich people.
“I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing, as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies,”
https://iowastartingline.com/2017/12/03 ... en-movies/
To all those poor people out there (those who have less than 5.5 million in inheritance), GET A JOB!!

I also love that he includes “movies” with “booze” and “hookers”

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:17 pm

I can only conclude that tif's former co-worker is actually Chuck Grassley.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:17 pm

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:50 pm

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:51 pm

What's sort of amazing is that until Bill Clinton became POTUS Lindsay Graham wouldnt even be allowed to serve in Military

lol

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:23 pm

What's sort of amazing is that until Bill Clinton became POTUS Lindsay Graham wouldnt even be allowed to serve in Military

lol
:lol:

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:24 am

Mitch McConnell reversed course on Roy Moore yesterday saying “I’m going to let the people of Alabama make the call”.

Putin puppet is willing(of course) to put his agenda above child molestation.
Democrats refusal to give even one vote for massive Tax Cuts is why we need Republican Roy Moore to win in Alabama. We need his vote on stopping crime, illegal immigration, Border Wall, Military, Pro Life, V.A., Judges 2nd Amendment and more. No to Jones, a Pelosi/Schumer Puppet!

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:46 am

It’s going to come back to haunt Trump ans Republican leadership. I almost want to see him electedb(not really because he is a pedophile but you know what I mean). Roy Moore will continue to do insane **** once he is a senator.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:53 am

They know Colbert's "great or the greatest" question was satire right?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:42 am

Tax cuts in NC didn't go as well as hoped (but not as bad as Kansas, aka Brownbackistan): https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html
For a peek into a world after a massive tax cut, visit North Carolina and ride along with factory owner Eric Henry.

Conservative groups have hailed North Carolina as a model of a tax overhaul since it began slashing state corporate and individual tax rates four years ago. And one of the effort’s main architects, Thom Tillis, is now in the U.S. Senate, where early Saturday he joined 50 other Republican senators in voting for a $1.5 trillion federal tax overhaul — a plan that employs many of the same tactics already in use here.

But as Henry drove through the conservative, rural county he’s called home all his life, he had trouble seeing many benefits of the tax cut. Business was good, but it wasn’t good enough that he could give his 20 workers significant raises.

And there were growing worries that the lost tax revenue — estimated at $3.5 billion this year alone — was beginning to significantly hurt core public services such as schools.

“I don’t know the people who this benefits,” Henry said of the North Carolina tax cut.

Changing the national tax code is much different from changing a state’s code. But what’s happening today in North Carolina offers potential clues about the grand experiment with tax cuts the entire nation is close to embarking on, with Republicans appearing confident they can send final legislation to President Trump by year’s end.

The tax changes in North Carolina haven’t produced the fiscal calamity that led Republican legislators in Kansas this year to reverse dramatic cuts they passed a few years earlier, but nor have they produced the kind of win-for-all economic prosperity national Republicans say their effort will spur.

Instead, North Carolina has enjoyed the same steady growth as much of the country, making it challenging to estimate the impact of the tax cut compared with the many other factors shaping the state’s economy.

“There’s nothing magical that has happened in North Carolina,” said John Quinterno, an economic analyst at the Chapel Hill-based research group South by North Strategies.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:39 am

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said Sunday she believes an obstruction of justice case is beginning to form against President Trump in the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

“The [Senate] Judiciary Committee has an investigation going as well and it involves obstruction of justice and I think what we're beginning to see is the putting together of a case of obstruction of justice," Feinstein said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” "I think we see this in the four indictments and pleas that have just taken place, and some of the comments being made. I see it in the hyper-frenetic attitude of the White House, the comments every day, the continual tweets," she added.
http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk ... inst-trump

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:44 am

Four folks already indicted. Trump:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:19 am

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said Sunday she believes an obstruction of justice case is beginning to form against President Trump in the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

“The [Senate] Judiciary Committee has an investigation going as well and it involves obstruction of justice and I think what we're beginning to see is the putting together of a case of obstruction of justice," Feinstein said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” "I think we see this in the four indictments and pleas that have just taken place, and some of the comments being made. I see it in the hyper-frenetic attitude of the White House, the comments every day, the continual tweets," she added.
http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk ... inst-trump
looked promising until:
I see it in the hyper-frenetic attitude of the White House, the comments every day, the continual tweets
...which makes me think they still have nothing

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:36 am

looked promising until:
I see it in the hyper-frenetic attitude of the White House, the comments every day, the continual tweets
...which makes me think they still have nothing
I don't know. In my very amateur opinion, I think the way the Flynn plea went down, it implies that he's given them some useful evidence. Again, reading my way through that Collusion book, it's pretty clear that Flynn is absolutely guilty of taking payments from foreign governments (Russia and Turkey) without reporting them, thereby violating the terms of his dismissal from the Obama administration. Those charges (and maybe others) were dropped for him, so he had to have offered up something on someone higher up the food chain. Whether that's Kushner, Trump himself, or Podesta ;) , we'll have to wait and see.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:39 am

Feinstein doesn't have a clue <insert joke here>, as to what info Mueller does or does not have.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:41 am

I'm loathe to post a link to Fox News, but this showed up in my Google news feed, and I didn't see it reported anywhere else: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12 ... unity.html

Apparently, in off the cuff remarks to reporters this morning, Trump said that Flynn is being treated very unfairly by the FBI. Sure, Flynn lied to them, but Hillary lied more, and she never got punished, while they're ruining Flynn's life.

It's mind boggling that he can be this stupid to keep making these sorts of public comments on the case. It seems like the obvious strategy here is just to go with the boilerplate, "I won't comment on an ongoing investigation."

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:43 am

Because his base doesn't get excited for a "no comment." They love a good "But Hillary!" though.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 am

Exclusive: Trump lawyer claims the "President cannot obstruct justice"
John Dowd, President Trump's outside lawyer, outlined to me a new and highly controversial defense/theory in the Russia probe: A president cannot be guilty of obstruction of justice.

The "President cannot obstruct justice because he is the chief law enforcement officer under [the Constitution's Article II] and has every right to express his view of any case," Dowd claims.

Dowd says he drafted this weekend's Trump tweet that many thought strengthened the case for obstruction: The tweet suggested Trump knew Flynn had lied to the FBI when he was fired, raising new questions about the later firing of FBI Director James Comey.
In case you were wondering what it looked like in real time when a President and their advisers were anticipating criminal charges, it looks a little bit like that.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:52 am

Exclusive: Trump lawyer claims the "President cannot obstruct justice"
John Dowd, President Trump's outside lawyer, outlined to me a new and highly controversial defense/theory in the Russia probe: A president cannot be guilty of obstruction of justice.

The "President cannot obstruct justice because he is the chief law enforcement officer under [the Constitution's Article II] and has every right to express his view of any case," Dowd claims.

Dowd says he drafted this weekend's Trump tweet that many thought strengthened the case for obstruction: The tweet suggested Trump knew Flynn had lied to the FBI when he was fired, raising new questions about the later firing of FBI Director James Comey.
In case you were wondering what it looked like in real time when a President and their advisers were anticipating criminal charges, it looks a little bit like that.

Yeah, I doubt they criminally charge Trump. It’s very shaky legally if they even can indict a sitting president.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:57 am

In a mysterious trip last month, Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian president, traveled to Saudi Arabia’s capital for consultations with the hard-charging crown prince about President Trump’s plans for Middle East peace. What was said when the doors were closed, however, has since roiled the region.

According to Palestinian, Arab and European officials who have heard Mr. Abbas’s version of the conversation, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman presented a plan that would be more tilted toward the Israelis than any ever embraced by the American government, one that presumably no Palestinian leader could ever accept.

The Palestinians would get a state of their own but only noncontiguous parts of the West Bank and only limited sovereignty over their own territory. The vast majority of Israeli settlements in the West Bank, which most of the world considers illegal, would remain. The Palestinians would not be given East Jerusalem as their capital and there would be no right of return for Palestinian refugees and their descendants.

The White House on Sunday denied that was its plan, saying it was still months away from finalizing a blueprint for peace, and the Saudi government denied that it supports those positions.

That left many in Washington and the Middle East wondering whether the Saudi crown prince was quietly doing the bidding of Mr. Trump, trying to curry favor with the Americans, or freelancing in order to put pressure on the Palestinians or to make any eventual offer sound generous by comparison. Or perhaps Mr. Abbas, weakened politically at home, was sending out signals for his own purposes that he was under pressure from Riyadh.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/03/worl ... -plan.html