Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:31 am

Meanwhile, the Pens couldn’t have picked a worse time to release this statement.

https://twitter.com/SethRorabaugh/statu ... 7295884289

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:36 am

But people who consider the kneeling behavior disrespectful and unpatriotic have the same rights to criticize these players. I'd like to see a boycott by fans who don't like this behavior.
People do indeed have the right to criticize them. But the sitting President calling them sons of dodints, telling their employers to fire them, telling citizens to boycott them, all because of a peaceful protest, is so far over the line that it's scary.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:37 am

I truly don't care what people do in regards to the anthem. I just find it funny that the NFL/NBA and it's players are trying to be a moral high ground, because we all know that those two sports leagues and their players have the best morals.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:37 am

But people who consider the kneeling behavior disrespectful and unpatriotic have the same rights to criticize these players. I'd like to see a boycott by fans who don't like this behavior.
People do indeed have the right to criticize them. But the sitting President calling them sons of dodints, telling their employers to fire them, telling citizens to boycott them, all because of a peaceful protest, is so far over the line that it's scary.
Yup. It’s disturbing how quick and easy it was for him to lash out at athletes peacefully protesting but getting him to condem white supremacists was like pulling teeth.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:39 am

Luckily for c2i, he won't have to worry about Southampton creating a political flak after winning it all...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:45 am

Whether it is right or wrong, the NFL will suffer more for this in the future than Trump. They may get a ratings boost this week, but take a large decline after. I bet a good sizable portion of NFL viewers hold Trumps views and will watch less.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:46 am

Whether it is right or wrong, the NFL will suffer more for this in the future than Trump. They may get a ratings boost this week, but take a large decline after. I bet a good sizable portion of NFL viewers hold Trumps views and will watch less.
The least popular president in history going up against the most popular sport in the US. I’ll take those odds.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:47 am

It's not about "morals".

stillgeezer

Postby stillgeezer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:48 am

I'd like to see an end to the practice of playing the national anthem at sporting events. At high school games kids are running around and a large number of adults are yakking , walking around etc. There's no need to play it at pro sport events. They probably will continue to do so but if the owners and the NFL had any decency they'd have it played while the teams were in their locker rooms.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:48 am

It's not about "morals".
+1

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:55 am

I think Trump is still pissed about the USFL.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:56 am

It's not about "morals".

Morals, virtues, values or whatever you want to call this debate, the NFL and NBA and it's players aren't exactly the institutions that have good standing to criticize others for dumb/horrific views or beliefs.

Now obviously Trump is a moron and as president should never call for the firing of any citizen when they are practicing their rights. I'm not comparing the two, I don't care that they are lashing out at him, he deserves it, it is their right and they can do if they so please.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:57 am

I'd like to see an end to the practice of playing the national anthem at sporting events. At high school games kids are running around and a large number of adults are yakking , walking around etc. There's no need to play it at pro sport events. They probably will continue to do so but if the owners and the NFL had any decency they'd have it played while the teams were in their locker rooms.
Agreed. I think it belongs at international sporting events and that’s it.

stillgeezer

Postby stillgeezer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Agreed. I think it belongs at international sporting events and that’s it.
I don't remember the burgh sportswriter who said playing the national anthem at ball games is like saying grace before eating a candy bar from a vending machine.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Have you been on planet earth these last 8 months?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Luckily for c2i, he won't have to worry about Southampton creating a political flak after winning it all...
Invitation REVOKED!

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:11 pm

I think Trump is still pissed about the USFL.
There probably is some truth to this.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:17 pm

The first time a see anyone on the Steelers do something like that I plan on making that the last NFL game I watch. If that happens I hope I don't lose my resolve and watch them in the playoffs.
Well, you have a few free hours on every Sunday now. Maybe pick up painting or calligraphy as a hobby.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:18 pm

“Many stay away because they love our country.” You could probably count on one hand the number of people who skip each game because of this.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Why do so many of our fellow citizens believe that the national anthem, flag etc have anything to do with military service. Someone sitting through the anthem is somehow an affront to all of our 5AF vets.....gotcha. :roll:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm surprised at the number of people that are saying "good on you" to the NFL, owners, etc. Are you kidding? They're not doing this because they agree with the freedom to demonstrate or free speech... they're doing it because they know they'll look like jackwagons if they start suspending or punishing star players for kneeling/demonstrating. It's a falling business and they're going to squeeze as much money out of it as they can before it's dead and gone.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Drama Ben...?

Also, he (Prez) is a lot dumber than I would have guessed/anticipated...it wasn't a clever ruse I guess...it was WYSIWYG... :?
His dumbness wasn't readily apparent? ;)
It was...pero, I thought his condition would improve a bit, not get worse. His election night speech was like when we took Pouliot 8th overall...yeah, there might have been a more sensible option available...but hey, a small-handed defenseman who can move the puck...ok fine...but since he was driven off the lot he has regressed...the sensible thing in both cases is to trade him to Detroit...

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:42 pm

One would think that Trump would be more concerned about Puerto Rico than the NFL. Such is the world we live in, I guess.

stillgeezer

Postby stillgeezer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:51 pm

The first time a see anyone on the Steelers do something like that I plan on making that the last NFL game I watch. If that happens I hope I don't lose my resolve and watch them in the playoffs.
Well, you have a few free hours on every Sunday now. Maybe pick up painting or calligraphy as a hobby.
I'm glad the Steelers chose not to go political and stay in the locker room. They won't have any protesters so I don't have to quit watching them. First time one of them kneels or whatever I'll be done with them which will hurt. I've watched them since the early 60's when they stunk a lot of the time. The protesters represent the view of maybe 1/2 the country; the U.S. is a very racist country; the police are daily persecuting blacks and "white privilege" makes an easy cushy life at the expense of blacks. I don't buy the basic BLM, ANTIFA, progressive tenents. Like I stated later we should quit playing the national anthem at sporting events and probably at many other public events.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Staying in the locker room is actually quite a political statement, IMO.