Game of Thrones Discussion

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:19 pm

I think there's zero chance that Cersei dies next week.
The good guys will have to focus on the war against the dead next year. I don't think there's time for the Lannister nonsense after what happened last night. So if she no longer has enemies willing to engage with her, what would be her plot for next year? Just her and Jaime playing cards?
I think she agrees to the armistice with the full intention of weakening Dany by undermining her alliances (see Sansa and Littlefinger in the North).
I think Cersei is like "yea we're cool. But let me do some tests on the Wight." Dany and Jon are like cool, do that, we don't find that weird at all. Then Jamie finds out that Cersei and her maester are making a bunch of wights that's she's preparing to let loose on her enemies. And Jamie's like whaaaaa, I'm stabbin yo ass just like the mad king.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:26 pm

if jaime offs cersei, you have to think that it's going to be related to this "pregnancy"

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Like we he discovers it was a sham contrived to keep him loyal?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:50 pm

so a little more whinging since it's fresh...what makes this plan so incredible is that for them to be surrounded by walkers facing certain death, NOTHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENED. they go out, somehow get lucky enough to get a zombie, and then of course the herd is nearby. a herd with more energy than they have. so of course they get surrounded. you'd think that there was at least a weird extenuating circumstance that screwed them over. like someone is hiding but then they sneeze or they cause an accidental avalanche which gets them discovered. but nope. everything went exactly according to plan - which is why they all should have died. i mean, god dammit. what was the plan?!? like - i know the intended outcome. but what. was. the. plan.

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:08 pm

The crazy part is that going north of the wall to kidnap a wight from the army of the dead and bring it south of the wall is arguably more reasonable than the second half of the plan.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:19 pm

That's my beef. There is no reasonable expectation of going miles north of the Wall, into Night King territory, and expect to somehow capture a wight from their huge army and then proceed to somehow escape back to the Wall before they are surrounded by thousands of wights.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:21 pm

That's my beef. There is no reasonable expectation of going miles north of the Wall, into Night King territory, and expect to somehow capture a wight from their huge army and then proceed to somehow escape back to the Wall before they are surrounded by thousands of wights.
We've all seen Saving Private Ryan, so agreed.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Did anyone (in the show) know that the zombies had zombie calls that alerted their buddies when they were in distress?

I mean, if anything, arming the wights with an internal distress signal was pretty dumb.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Now I have an amazing image of Jon Snow telling the wight to "earn this." Thank you.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:01 pm

That Jon Snow is a master stratergerist.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:01 pm

This thread didn't disappoint

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Anyone else notice the giant missing from the battle last night? Probably taking a nap, but those walkers could have really used him the walk through the water...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Reddit proposes that the whole sequence north of the wall was a trap. They cite Bran's vision that showed the army of the dead all standing on the lake around the center rock without worry of it breaking. They also show the walker's purposely brought javs/spears.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:12 am

Has anyone read the Bran = NK from just prior to this season?

https://www.reddit.com/r/gottheories/co ... sed_on_tv/

I don't really buy it, but I love reading these.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:04 am

I saw this the other day. Interesting but like you don't buy it

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:51 am

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:42 am

Damn. Now that's all I'll think about with that storyline.

Thanks.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Reddit proposes that the whole sequence north of the wall was a trap. They cite Bran's vision that showed the army of the dead all standing on the lake around the center rock without worry of it breaking. They also show the walker's purposely brought javs/spears.
I was thinking about that too. Do we know to what extent the Night King has Bran's powers of seeing into the future/past? It's obvious he can see Bran when he's warging/on vision quests, so I thought maybe he knew about the stupid plan and let it play out like it did to get his hands on a dragon.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:48 pm

Just watched this episode last night. I've been able to tolerate or just be a little bit bothered by the teleportation going on this season, but this episode threw me over the edge. I didn't like this episode very much at all, and I've like the vast majority of GoT. I can tolerate a bunch of **** per episode, and there was just too much here.

I probably would have enjoyed the episode more if the plan to go north of the wall wasn't extremely terrible to begin with. We need to join the forces of the world to beat this ultimate army, so let's send like 15 guys to confront them head-on so we can bring back one of them. They manged to find an isolated group of them, but they obviously weren't far away from the main army.

Having Benjen show up, and immediately die was poorly handled. D&D explained Benjen's motives in the after-episode segment, but none of that came through in the episode.

I don't understand what the Whitewalkers were waiting for by circling the party. The only thing that makes sense (which is the most likely explanation) was the Night King was using them as bait to get a dragon. I hope this is addressed in the next episode, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

I also really don't like the Arya/Sansa feud so far. Arya just seems really dumb holding Sansa to that stupid letter. Everyone knows how unreasonable Joffrey and Cersei were at the time. We will have to wait a see before a full opinion can be made.

I'll probably like the next episode a lot better, I found this one too far a stretch to suspend my disbelief. It's one of those things that snowballs and just puts me in a bad mood early, so even more things bother me than normal. The same thing happened to me in the opening of Mass Effect Andromeda.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:51 pm

it seemed like a trap. the walkers want over the wall and the dragon will probably get them there. without a magic-related intervention, it seemed like they were stuck on the wrong side. so they concocted the whole thing so the dragons would rescue them...which makes the "somehow fend off unlimited bad guys" trope have a little more credibility. hell...jon was allowed to take some breaks and look around. he should have been toast, but he lived. maybe it was intentional to string the situations along. i mean...it's still some serious plot armor, but there are reasonable rationalizations available.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:55 pm

I probably would have enjoyed the episode more if the plan to go north of the wall wasn't extremely terrible to begin with.
this is the stomach punch. there was a lot to like about this episode. love, even. the dialogue throughout was great. the setting was amazing. the VFX top notch. they even managed to somehow build suspense even when the ending was as predictable as it gets.

but it was all predicated on utter nonsense. a stupid plan whose purpose AND execution are competing to see who is dumber. that persists into this week, too. so we aren't even done with this.

Sam: "Hey - there's a horn up there. i saw it in season 2. it can tear the wall down"
Jon: "we better go freaking find it then"

aaaaand scene. that's all it would have taken to fix this whole mess.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 pm

I probably would have enjoyed the episode more if the plan to go north of the wall wasn't extremely terrible to begin with.
this is the stomach punch. there was a lot to like about this episode. love, even. the dialogue throughout was great. the setting was amazing. the VFX top notch. they even managed to somehow build suspense even when the ending was as predictable as it gets.

but it was all predicated on utter nonsense. a stupid plan whose purpose AND execution are competing to see who is dumber. that persists into this week, too. so we aren't even done with this.

Sam: "Hey - there's a horn up there. i saw it in season 2. it can tear the wall down"
Jon: "we better go freaking find it then"

aaaaand scene. that's all it would have taken to fix this whole mess.
Finding the horn would have been a much better motive to go beyond the wall, and then get themselves into the mess that leads to the whitewalkers turning a dragon. As a bonus, they could have found evidence to present to the Lannisters. Maybe they come up with the idea to capture one during the incident.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Then it would have been rabble rabble Drsgon Binder complaints. Can't have 1 horn without the other and such junk

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Has anyone read the Bran = NK from just prior to this season?

https://www.reddit.com/r/gottheories/co ... sed_on_tv/

I don't really buy it, but I love reading these.
I read this and wasn't really buying it either. However it would explain why he didn't want to have the dagger made of dragon glass on him.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:53 pm

hmmmm...there are things that make sense with that. Bran just being a big weirdo isn't a worthwhile arc, and he wasn't helpful at all last week - even though he could have been. so what's his purpose, other than a trivia master? maybe he's been possessed (to an extent) by the NK. it wouldn't be that crazy.