Music Thread

BigMck

Music Thread

Postby BigMck » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Just finished watching a short 7 part documentary on YouTube regarding the Station nightclub fire. The fire was started by pyrotechnics used by Great White at the opening of their set. The fire killed 100 people and caused numerous injuries. The tragedy occurred in 2003.

The documentary is very graphic with pictures of actual victims and the eye witness accounts from that night and the residual trauma left behind on those that survived.

Viva la Ben

Music Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:51 pm

I haven't seen the documentary, but the liveleak vid of the people piled on top of each other trying to get out of the club was haunting enough.

mac5155

Music Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Yeah, exit doors that opened in.. not clearly marked.. over capacity.. a bunch of stuff went wrong that night. Sad.

the wicked child

Music Thread

Postby the wicked child » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:11 am

Re: Gary Clark Jr.

Ain't Messin' 'Round is in Rock Band 4. Been meaning to check out more of his stuff since hearing it.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Music Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:01 am

the "cash me outside" girl has a music video.

I won't even bother describing it, because trying to piece together a description of how awful the video is would not do it justice.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Music Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:37 pm

So Incubus has a new album coming out this year? And they're touring with Jimmy Eat World? This would have been my jam 15 years ago. Well... still is my jam, but that's not the point.

mac5155

Music Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Chris Stapleton is coming to Pittsburgh in August. Yaaaas

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:31 pm

So Incubus...
It will be interesting to hear the new material; despite having a couple songs I really liked, they never quite floated my boat, but they were so so young when they hit (I think they had five or six studio records out by the time they were in their mid-20s) and had a unique sound that I always thought it would be neat to hear where they are in fifteen years. Welp, here's my chance.

I had an ex that was super duper hardcore into Incubus, and actually met Brandon once at a Chinese restaurant in Venice Beach. Like you do.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Music Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:37 pm

So Incubus...
It will be interesting to hear the new material; despite having a couple songs I really liked, they never quite floated my boat, but they were so so young when they hit (I think they had five or six studio records out by the time they were in their mid-20s) and had a unique sound that I always thought it would be neat to hear where they are in fifteen years. Welp, here's my chance.

I had an ex that was super duper hardcore into Incubus, and actually met Brandon once at a Chinese restaurant in Venice Beach. Like you do.
I've always been a hug Incubus fan. Fungus Amongus was a little too weird for my liking, and If not now, when? was a little to tame for my liking. The rest of the albums were fantastic, IMO. But I graduated H.S. in 2005, so they were really hitting it big in my late middle school/early high school days. Lots of nostalgia w/ them.

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Pardon Me is a song I still like to play when I pick up a guitar. The opening chords are the same as Best Of You, so I usually end up doing a weird medley.

count2infinity

Music Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:45 pm

My mother largely hated Incubus's music (probably because I listened to S.C.I.E.N.C.E. more than any other album, and it's pretty funky...) but she absolutely loved Pardon Me. It's a great tune.

Morkle

Music Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Chris Stapleton is coming to Pittsburgh in August. Yaaaas
I actually want to go to that. Not because he's country, but because he started in bluegrass. His stuff with The Steeldrivers is great. Yes I know he was a writer first, but man that dude can sing.

Morkle

Music Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Also been listening to GUNSHIP this week. Pretty good stuff like Daft Punk.

mikey

Music Thread

Postby mikey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:23 pm

I pride myself on being a pretty big Stones fan, but one thing I don't know is the origin/what sparked Keef to wear this shirt in 1975 (spoilered for bad word):
Does anyone know the real backstory on this...?

cma3585

Music Thread

Postby cma3585 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:34 pm

Move over Dream Theater, there are new kings of prog rock/metal coming out of Norway. Finally watched this DVD last night and it was honestly awe-inspiring the amount of intensity and passion went into this performance. They played mostly newer material since they've seemed to move on from their metal past but their new material is still pretty dark.

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:46 pm

I pride myself on being a pretty big Stones fan, but one thing I don't know is the origin/what sparked Keef to wear this shirt in 1975 (spoilered for bad word):
Does anyone know the real backstory on this...?
The only story I've ever heard about it, and it's like tenth-hand, is that it originated with Miles Davis. He had been asked to do some overdubs on a Stones album, and that was his response. Keef ran with it.

My favorite Stones story is the one about Charlie Watts punching Mick in the face. Such a vivid image.

mikey

Music Thread

Postby mikey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Yeah, I saw that referenced on a message board somewhere with no accompanying source...but with probable cause to look further into it, I found two interviews where Miles Davis things very little of Jagger (and white people in general from the tone of it :lol:) one of which was in Spin magazine from Dec. 1985...so all right, that effectively solves that I guess...

Silentom

Music Thread

Postby Silentom » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Move over Dream Theater, there are new kings of prog rock/metal coming out of Norway. Finally watched this DVD last night and it was honestly awe-inspiring the amount of intensity and passion went into this performance. They played mostly newer material since they've seemed to move on from their metal past but their new material is still pretty dark.

Dream Theater shall never move over good sir. But I'll give this a listen later. :thumb:

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Iron Maiden's manager's name Rod Smallwood, because of course it is.

cma3585

Music Thread

Postby cma3585 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:19 pm

Dream Theater shall never move over good sir. But I'll give this a listen later. :thumb:
They officially moved over after they thought The Astonishing was not only a good double album to release, but also a good album to play in its entirety on tour. Just absolutely lost me after that move. I saw them in 2012 when Trivium opened and they played SO much new material off the now boring Dramatic album that they sort of moved to the back of my interests.

Leprous is a very interesting band. First "demo", which was almost 60 mins and pretty well produced, came out 2006. It was raw prog metal (actual prog metal, screaming and maniacal moments, not 'Dream Theater prog metal' moments) First full length in 2009 was a sound to behold but back then, not a big audience, being a prog metal band from Norway. 2011 brought their beyond brilliant piece "Bilateral", which is going for around 100 bucks per copy on vinyl in discogs.com right now...and Emperor mainman Ihsahn was so impressed with the band, he not only guested on that album, but actually hired the entire band to be his solo project's live band. So even the singer plays keyboards in Ihsahn's live band. That was as of a couple years ago. I think that's ended now. In the meantime they've released two other albums which, at first listen, I wasn't into because they weren't that heavy at all. But then you start researching and reading reviews, and suddenly you're realizing you're overlooking the obvious...just golden albums period. I can sincerely state there is not a single band in existence I've heard, and I'm a metal connoisseur of connoisseurs...that is even remotely like Leprous, new or old. That live Rockefeller performance spawned my laid off self to buy not only that live DVD, but also the vinyl that accompanies it that very night, b/c I was so enthralled. I'm spending my last extra pennies on this band because I'm so impressed by their work.

Yeah...you should watch that.

BigMck

Music Thread

Postby BigMck » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:23 am

@cma3585 totally deserves POTW.

Passionate post, raw feelings, music related.

Silentom

Music Thread

Postby Silentom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:51 am

They officially moved over after they thought The Astonishing was not only a good double album to release, but also a good album to play in its entirety on tour. Just absolutely lost me after that move. I saw them in 2012 when Trivium opened and they played SO much new material off the now boring Dramatic album that they sort of moved to the back of my interests.

Leprous is a very interesting band. First "demo", which was almost 60 mins and pretty well produced, came out 2006. It was raw prog metal (actual prog metal, screaming and maniacal moments, not 'Dream Theater prog metal' moments) First full length in 2009 was a sound to behold but back then, not a big audience, being a prog metal band from Norway. 2011 brought their beyond brilliant piece "Bilateral", which is going for around 100 bucks per copy on vinyl in discogs.com right now...and Emperor mainman Ihsahn was so impressed with the band, he not only guested on that album, but actually hired the entire band to be his solo project's live band. So even the singer plays keyboards in Ihsahn's live band. That was as of a couple years ago. I think that's ended now. In the meantime they've released two other albums which, at first listen, I wasn't into because they weren't that heavy at all. But then you start researching and reading reviews, and suddenly you're realizing you're overlooking the obvious...just golden albums period. I can sincerely state there is not a single band in existence I've heard, and I'm a metal connoisseur of connoisseurs...that is even remotely like Leprous, new or old. That live Rockefeller performance spawned my laid off self to buy not only that live DVD, but also the vinyl that accompanies it that very night, b/c I was so enthralled. I'm spending my last extra pennies on this band because I'm so impressed by their work.

Yeah...you should watch that.
Found it on Google Play. Giving it a listen right now. :thumb:

the wicked child

Music Thread

Postby the wicked child » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 am

Dream Theater is one of those bands that has a few songs I like, some quite a bit, and then a lot of wankery.

I saw them live once, and they decided to play almost all 8+ minute songs which, sorry, gets old after awhile.

Silentom

Music Thread

Postby Silentom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:22 am

That's about the average length of all their songs. Love it.

columbia

Music Thread

Postby columbia » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:25 am

King Crimson to tour the US in 2017, and they’re bringing along four drummers
http://consequenceofsound.net/2017/01/k ... -drummers/

@Factorial