Colossal TV Show thread

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:16 pm

The season premiere of It's Always Sunny was god damn glorious in every way possible.
It was like when I saw the Book of Mormon. The songs were clever but not funny. I don't really award points for cleverness on its own.

The funny parts were the normal dialogue. So...eh. It was fine.
I thought it was great. And the preview for next week's looks awesome as well. I don't care what anybody says, even a slightly off episode of Sunny is better than nearly every other comedy on TV.
I take this all back. The songs were the best part. What an episode.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:09 am

Finale of Sherlock was awesome. Those last 2 episodes were so good. Wow was that intense! That would be a fitting end if that's how the series goes out.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:05 am

Huh. Sherlock's finale was OK.
Lestrade, during the very first episode of the series, said "Sherlock is a great man, and someday he might even be a good one." At the conclusion of last night's episode, he says "Yes, he is a great man...but also a good man." Interesting.

As for the show itself, it felt a little anticlimactic at the end. Not sure why. Fascinating look into trauma though.
As for the series ending, Gatiss and Moffat have both said they both would like for it to continue and this season "wasn't written as it were a finale." Both principal actors would like to come back as well, but their schedules are pretty ridiculous (particular Cumberbatch).

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:36 am

Lestrade, during the very first episode of the series, said "Sherlock is a great man, and someday he might even be a good one." At the conclusion of last night's episode, he says "Yes, he is a great man...but also a good man." Interesting.

As for the show itself, it felt a little anticlimactic at the end. Not sure why. Fascinating look into trauma though.
As for the series ending, Gatiss and Moffat have both said they both would like for it to continue and this season "wasn't written as it were a finale." Both principal actors would like to come back as well, but their schedules are pretty ridiculous (particular Cumberbatch).
Eh, I liked the last 2 episodes when comparing to the big connecting story they tried to tell. I feel like the last 2 episodes tied up a lot of the loose ends that were starting to get a little tedious and now they can essentially hit the reset and go back to the formula that worked before (more episodic mysteries to solve rather than a long running arc).

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:42 am

Eh, I liked the last 2 episodes when comparing to the big connecting story they tried to tell. I feel like the last 2 episodes tied up a lot of the loose ends that were starting to get a little tedious and now they can essentially hit the reset and go back to the formula that worked before (more episodic mysteries to solve rather than a long running arc).
If nothing else, the Moriarty issue is now and forever settled. Although I liked seeing him in that flashback.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:33 am

If nothing else, the Moriarty issue is now and forever settled. Although I liked seeing him in that flashback.
Yes, he was my favorite and I'm glad he got the 5 year ago flashback Queen entrance, that was great!

CBear3

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Enjoyed Timeless last night. Never got around to reading Devil the White City, so this just stoked the fire even more.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Finally began watching OJ: Made in America. For the large amount of praise it got I'm just not that into it. The first two episodes (three hours cumulative) feel like a ton of emptiness. About 110 minutes of that is going into the backstory of why there is racial tension in Los Angeles (gee thanks) which is punctuated by pointing out that OJ refused to have anything to do with the social changes around him. Unless the payoff is huge later all of that, which people are calling ambition by Ezra Edelman, is actually just boilerplate filler. If he finds a way to connect the Watts riot to OJ's fall, good on him.

Also, I had no idea Marcus Allen was banging Nicole Brown. So there's that.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:48 am

I'm losing focus with The Curse of Oak Island. I get that they're at the whim of whatever happens, and that as a reality show it's pretty stable. But it's come to be that they're doing basically three espiode arcs that go like this: argue about whether to punch a hole in the ground, punch the hole in the ground, go to the bottom of the hole and find nothing. Sprinkle in some conspiracy theory side-trips (the Templars!) and you have a couple episodes. At this point it would be more entertaining if they threw bales of money down the holes and firebombed them from the surface. It's gone from "Gee, I wonder if they'll find the treasure" to "Man, I can't believe they're wasting all that money, how far can they go?"

The show is an hour long but when you fast forward through the commercials and the recap material (beginning of every episode, going into and out of every break) you can get through the episode in about 28 minutes. They've been pretty good about not doing cliffhanger teases at the end of episodes until this season, but now that they're doing them I wonder if the show is on its last legs.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:15 am

they are making a blacklist spin off?

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:40 am

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/822466414627856384

New season of House of Cards drops on 30 May.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:46 am

they are making a blacklist spin off?
Yes, based on the Chris Hayes look-alike.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Stumbled upon a Norwegian drama on Netflix called Occupied.

It takes place in the near future where the US has left NATO and stopped exporting oil and gas. Europe is under a severe oil crisis, and Norway decides to stop fossil fuel operations for climate change reasons (they have a safe energy source they want to export). So, the Russians decide to grab the oil and gas operations... Very interesting so far, and it upset the Kremlin - reason enough to watch it.
I enjoyed this a lot. There were some plot holes and such, but very compelling.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:28 pm

But seriously, nobody watching Sneaky Pete on Amazon?

Great cast.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:31 pm

It's on my list.

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:06 pm

But seriously, nobody watching Sneaky Pete on Amazon?

Great cast.
I enjoy it. About halfway through. What is the deal? It says it was released August of 2015, but just showing up now. Is that because it was supposed to be a cbs show?

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Was that when the pilot premiered on Amazon?

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Not sure, I just saw it released the season last Friday.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Always Sunny...3 episodes into season 12 and 3 all time classics as far as I'm concerned.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Was that when the pilot premiered on Amazon?
Yes.

Craig

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Craig » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Has anyone watched Frontier on netflix? Khal dragois awesome.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Blacklist has really gone downhill.

Can't imagine a spinoff succeeding when the main show is so bad.

VoiceOfTheFan

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby VoiceOfTheFan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:29 pm

Stumbled upon a Norwegian drama on Netflix called Occupied.

It takes place in the near future where the US has left NATO and stopped exporting oil and gas. Europe is under a severe oil crisis, and Norway decides to stop fossil fuel operations for climate change reasons (they have a safe energy source they want to export). So, the Russians decide to grab the oil and gas operations... Very interesting so far, and it upset the Kremlin - reason enough to watch it.
I enjoyed this a lot. There were some plot holes and such, but very compelling.
Is it in English?

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:50 am

There are parts of it in English, but it is mostly in Norwegian (and Russian) with subtitles.

Sneaky Pete was very good, btw.

relantel

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby relantel » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:52 am

Gotham - wife had fallen alseep so I caught up a little. E2 of current season I think (Mad City tag).
The ineptness of the GCPD is over the top... It's almost comical it's that bad.

And they have Jim "apparently" slip right at the end, cutting away to Lee returning...
Would have liked to have watched the next but knew better. So put on the 2nd period of last week's Caps game instead.