Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:50 am

Serious question. Do these protests change anything? I mean the biggest protests were in states that are already heavily democrat.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:55 am

Serious question. Do these protests change anything? I mean the biggest protests were in states that are already heavily democrat.
This wasn't a movement for those states. This happened all over the world and made history for the first time in our lifetime. I don't know what will change, but it was amazing and beautiful and I'm happy to be able to experience it and talk with my kids about it.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:57 am

This wasn't a movement for those states. This happened all over the world and made history for the first time in our lifetime. I don't know what will change, but it was amazing and beautiful and I'm happy to be able to experience it and talk with my kids about it.

All that is well and good, but it doesn't matter if it doesn't get you votes in states that matter.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:58 am

obhave

Postby obhave » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:02 am

I had lots of discussions with people in attendance yesterday about what we can do after to continue to "fight". It was very productive. People in Democrat states still need to be motivated, as was evident by the election. Have you seen the amount donated to planned Parenthood since the election? This is a "movement" that was happening before the match and I believe will continue after.

I wish there was more discussion about bridging the divide and talking to the people who votes for Trump, but one step at a time I guess...

obhave

Postby obhave » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:03 am

Also, nobody - have you ever approved or thought positively of any protest in your lifetime? I feel like you have this same mantra no matter the cause.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:07 am

I had lots of discussions with people in attendance yesterday about what we can do after to continue to "fight". It was very productive. People in Democrat states still need to be motivated, as was evident by the election. Have you seen the amount donated to planned Parenthood since the election? This is a "movement" that was happening before the match and I believe will continue after.

I wish there was more discussion about bridging the divide and talking to the people who votes for Trump, but one step at a time I guess...

Cool. Hopefully most people have good intentions of not protesting every move this administration makes, only the ones that are actually against rights or the constitution. Otherwise the movement will fail to do what it is intending.

To me, I think planned parenthood is a bad thing to protest for. I'd rather the federal money that goes to it would go to community health centers. There are more of them, which means more access for those that actually need it.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:10 am

Also, nobody - have you ever approved or thought positively of any protest in your lifetime? I feel like you have this same mantra no matter the cause.

I've stated this before. BLM if they used more actual cases of police abuse and had less violence at their events, I'd be more behind their cause. Their message is a good one, but their execution is horrendous.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:11 am

Occupy Wallstreet and 15 dollar wage, I thought those were worthless.

obhave

Postby obhave » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:12 am

Cool. Hopefully most people have good intentions of not protesting every move this administration makes, only the ones that are actually against rights or the constitution. Otherwise the movement will fail to do what it is intending.

To me, I think planned parenthood is a bad thing to protest for. I'd rather the federal money that goes to it would go to community health centers. There are more of them, which means more access for those that actually need it.
Do community health centers get federal money at all? I would agree to give money to both. Wouldn't it be difficult to hand out money to so many centers? How to choose which ones get the money? (I honestly don't know how it that works)

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:16 am

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:18 am

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:20 am

Do community health centers get federal money at all? I would agree to give money to both. Wouldn't it be difficult to hand out money to so many centers? How to choose which ones get the money? (I honestly don't know how it that works)

Yes they do get federal money.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:24 am

Much like when they tried to make hillary a sympathetic figure with that Hallelujah performance - even though they should have been blaming her for what happened...this is barf.

Craig

Postby Craig » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:24 am

This protest was horrible. I tried to read an explanation of what was being protested and it was so vague that the only conclusion to draw is that its "anti-trump". Then i see signs about defending democracy and its really hard to reconcile that when youre protesting a president 18 hours after their inauguration.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:26 am

Interesting read on geographic availability to women's health centers and how important planned parenthood is:

https://www.guttmacher.org/sites/defaul ... o-2015.pdf

obhave

Postby obhave » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:27 am

Okay - so then I am fine with the setup, personally. Planned parenthood is not just for women, and also serves as a community health center. In essence, if you defund planned parenthood, you then are also taking away a community health center. So giving money to both seems like a good course of action.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:29 am

Lol. Chuck Schumer just said on CNN that the booing of his speech doesn't reflect highly of the people in attendance at the inauguration. After being asked by Tapper about how he just labeled the entire audience, he made the statement, just the people that booed.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:30 am

Much like when they tried to make hillary a sympathetic figure with that Hallelujah performance - even though they should have been blaming her for what happened...this is barf.
A total lack of self awareness by SNL. They wonder why their message doesn't resonate with the rest of 'merica.....

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:33 am

Interesting read on geographic availability to women's health centers and how important planned parenthood is:

This is because most people know more about planned parenthood than these other centers. Most people don't know you can get your contraceptives from your local hospital, state health department or university for little or no cost.

And yes I know PP does more than that. Just naming an example of other places that offer that service.
Last edited by grunthy on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:35 am

This protest was horrible. I tried to read an explanation of what was being protested and it was so vague that the only conclusion to draw is that its "anti-trump". Then i see signs about defending democracy and its really hard to reconcile that when youre protesting a president 18 hours after their inauguration.
HORRIBLE! SAD!

what the f*ck does the fact that's it's 18 hours after an election have to do with what he's done in the last year.

Insufferable

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:37 am

This is because most people know more about planned parenthood than these other centers. Most people don't know you can get your contraceptives from your local hospital, state health department or university for little or no cost.
That's all well and good, but since planned parenthood is well known and women feel safe and comfortable going to these centers, why is there such a push for the defunding of them? I mean, the network is already there, the infrastructure is already built, the awareness of the centers is already in place... The only possible reason I can see is abortion which isn't even close to the majority of what Planned Parenthood does.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:40 am

Will local hospitals and state governments in, say, Texas Alabama Mississippi Louisiana Tennessee South Carolina etc etc give you free birth control? Genuine question here

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:41 am

That's all well and good, but since planned parenthood is well known and women feel safe and comfortable going to these centers, why is there such a push for the defunding of them? I mean, the network is already there, the infrastructure is already built, the awareness of the centers is already in place... The only possible reason I can see is abortion which isn't even close to the majority of what Planned Parenthood does.

You just answered your own question. It's because a majority of people (right or wrong, not arguing the that) either want abortion legal, but not its current state, or not legal at all.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:43 am