Travel Thread

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:46 pm

......international deplaning and connection fee.....
wut?

Algernon

Travel Thread

Postby Algernon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:49 pm

......international deplaning and connection fee.....
wut?
Yeah it's some Bullshit I have to pay, probably only because I'm flying standby. If you buy a ticket it's probably included in there.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Yeah, I never heard of that.

If you can get a couple hours (or if you even want to) Madrid is supposed to be a pretty sweet town to tool around in. The Madrid airport is pretty close to city center. Something to think about.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:00 pm

My local regional airport only has one major airline - American. So that's my choice. :lol:

And people wonder why airline tickets are so expensive? Lack of competition.

For some reason, taking the 45 minute cropduster up to Charlotte and getting on a connecting flight can be cheaper than driving 90 minutes to Charlotte and flying on the same connecting flight. Not always, but probably 50-60% of the time. I guess the gate fees Mecklenburg county charges add to the ticket price.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:46 am

Source of the post For some reason, taking the 45 minute cropduster up to Charlotte and getting on a connecting flight can be cheaper than driving 90 minutes to Charlotte and flying on the same connecting flight.
It drives me mad that non-stop flights are more expensive than multiple stop flights for a lot of the places I travel to.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:44 pm

allegiant to cancun? ive heard miserable reviews about allegiant in general

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:23 pm

I've only flown twice in the recent past, once on United and once on Delta. I had a positive experience with both. I admit some bias against AA because I'm still peeved at the way US Airways behaved toward Pittsburgh.
I find this post curious, as the way I see it, Politicians screwed over Pittsburgh and made US Air leave
Both sides acted like dodints at points, but I blame US Air more. KPIT's midfield terminal was constructed at the insistence of US Air, and pretty much the whole new airport was constructed to US Air's specifications. US Air promised that by building the airport to its specs, it would be in Pittsburgh for the long haul. But after demanding what was essentially a custom-built airport, US Air balked at the fees that came with a brand-new state-of-the-art facility and then used its 2003 bankruptcy to void almost all of its long-term gate leases at KPIT even though it had expressly promised that it wouldn't do so. US Air voided those leases on literally the last day before it emerged from bankruptcy.

US Air also shafted Pittsburghers on ticket prices even though most Yinzers were fiercely loyal to US Air as the "home town" airline, and at the peak they had thousands of local employees. (US Air was founded in Pittsburgh in 1939 as All American Aviation Company, and it would later change its name to All American Airways (1949) to Allegheny Airlines (1953) to USAir (1979).) It's no surprise to me that fees at Charlotte are so high that it's cheaper to go somewhere else first and fly back to KCLT—US Air did the exact same thing here. It was often much cheaper to drive to Cleveland and then fly back to KPIT than it was to fly directly out of Pittsburgh,

It was also a big "eff you" to Pittsburgh that the ceremonial last flight for US Air didn't land here even though the company was founded here.

Algernon

Travel Thread

Postby Algernon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:39 pm

I've only flown twice in the recent past, once on United and once on Delta. I had a positive experience with both. I admit some bias against AA because I'm still peeved at the way US Airways behaved toward Pittsburgh.
I find this post curious, as the way I see it, Politicians screwed over Pittsburgh and made US Air leave
Both sides acted like dodints at points, but I blame US Air more. KPIT's midfield terminal was constructed at the insistence of US Air, and pretty much the whole new airport was constructed to US Air's specifications. US Air promised that by building the airport to its specs, it would be in Pittsburgh for the long haul. But after demanding what was essentially a custom-built airport, US Air balked at the fees that came with a brand-new state-of-the-art facility and then used its 2003 bankruptcy to void almost all of its long-term gate leases at KPIT even though it had expressly promised that it wouldn't do so. US Air voided those leases on literally the last day before it emerged from bankruptcy.

US Air also shafted Pittsburghers on ticket prices even though most Yinzers were fiercely loyal to US Air as the "home town" airline, and at the peak they had thousands of local employees. (US Air was founded in Pittsburgh in 1939 as All American Aviation Company, and it would later change its name to All American Airways (1949) to Allegheny Airlines (1953) to USAir (1979).) It's no surprise to me that fees at Charlotte are so high that it's cheaper to go somewhere else first and fly back to KCLT—US Air did the exact same thing here. It was often much cheaper to drive to Cleveland and then fly back to KPIT than it was to fly directly out of Pittsburgh,

It was also a big "eff you" to Pittsburgh that the ceremonial last flight for US Air didn't land here even though the company was founded here.
Yeah. Thats not a story I enjoyed reading. Just another case of western pennsylvania getting screwed

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:15 pm

One thing I absolutely love about American (may apply to other carriers; not sure) is the ability to hold a reservation for free for 24 hours (or a small fee for longer). The flights that I want to visit my wife's family just dropped over $100/each, and I wanted to lock in pending her time off request. On top of that, I double-checked the rates for another trip's car rental and was able to change it so that I get another $40 afterwards.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:26 am

living in ATL I go back and forth typically between Delta and Southwest. we were ready to ditch Delta entirely but then SW cut back on the amount of non-stops out of ATL so sometimes the schedule for Delta just works out better.

tip next time you fly through ATL: check in on Facebook while in the airport and put only "Jackson" in the check-in location search. the results are hilarious!

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:33 am

Source of the post tip next time you fly through ATL
Better tip: don't fly through ATL. :)

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:21 am

I just saved $160 on three car rental reservations thanks to FlyerTalk. It pays to put in a little effort when booking this stuff.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:40 am

good luck with that..... ;)

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:44 am

good luck with that..... ;)
I have purposely avoided ATL for connecting flights after my last two experiences. I don't know if it was just a bad time of day/month/year/century, but I nearly missed my connecting flight both times due to how long it takes to get from one terminal to another. There just always seemed to be 6 million people in the way.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:29 am

What's the deal with Austin, TX? I think we're going there over July 4th weekend. The sum total of my knowledge of the place is: Aaron Franklin, Paul Qui, "hook 'em horns", Charles Whitman, SXSW/music scene, bats.

columbia

Travel Thread

Postby columbia » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:33 am

I intentionally choose flights routed through Charlotte, rather than Atlanta. The latter is a horror show.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:42 am

I actually love walking through CLT. I used to connect through them on flights to Hilton Head before I decided that it was easier to fly through SAV and just drive 35 minutes to HHI.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:32 pm

What's the deal with Austin, TX? I think we're going there over July 4th weekend. The sum total of my knowledge of the place is: Aaron Franklin, Paul Qui, "hook 'em horns", Charles Whitman, SXSW/music scene, bats.
A buddy of mine is in love with the place and wants to move there. He's now looking for cheap flood-damaged houses he might be able to snag up. :lol:

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:41 pm

i dont mind CLT at all. its nice, the design is strange tho

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:47 pm

Charlotte is a very nice airport, it just has too many flights moving through it for its size and gate numbers.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:58 am

I intentionally choose flights routed through Charlotte, rather than Atlanta. The latter is a horror show.
maybe I'm just used to it or maybe I just fly at non-busy times but this hasn't been my experience at all.......

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:09 am

headed to USA Hockey Nationals in Minneapolis in a few weeks. suggestions that don't involve the Mall of America? I believe we will be based in Blaine for the weekend.....

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:45 am

Moscow on the Hill in St. Paul if you're into that kind of food it's probably the best in the city. http://moscowonthehill.com/
Blaine is north of the city so it's a bit of a haul, but it's not that hard to get around MSP honestly.

5-8 Club (or Matt's Bar and Grill) if you haven't crossed a Juicy Lucy off of your list yet. http://www.5-8club.com/

@IanMoran would know better than me, if he's lurking around.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:57 am

we were actually thinking of doing comparison tastings at Matt's Bar and Five Eight Club......

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:47 pm

The difference, to me, is that 5-8 lets you pick your cheese but Matt's makes you use their cheese.