BEER

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:45 pm

Had an Oskar Blues Pinner Throwback IPA on tap last night. I really liked it. Much more bite than a 'normal' session. I could bounce back and forth between this and Founders All Day all day (and night). Good stuff.
That sounds good, I need to get into sessoins more, I wonder if they have less calories or if that's a dumb question.

Sierra Nevada apparently is coming out with a Torpedo Extra IPA blended with grapefruit, comes in at 7.2%

http://beerstreetjournal.com/sierra-nev ... rapefruit/
Founders All Day ipa is very good.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:00 pm

On recommendation from sir slaps a lot from many moons ago, I picked up a case of Lauganitas Little Sumpin Sumpin. Wow. I don't think that I would have ever picked this beer up without the recommendation because it says it's a wheat and typically I don't enjoy wheats at all. This beer is fantastic though. Hits you with the very floral hops and the mouth feel is smooth and refreshing. Great spring time beer.
You should definitely try to find the Little Sumpin Sumpin Wild, since you like Le Freak so much. I really enjoyed the Wild.

Jofa Guy

BEER

Postby Jofa Guy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:34 pm

I need to quit drinking so many IPAs because they have so many calories. If I HAD to switch to a light beer, I don't think Michelob Ultra is too bad and has the highest abv for light beers around me

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:51 pm

Do you drink that much? I think most would only be about twice as many calories, which might not be that significant, depending on your habits.

Jofa Guy

BEER

Postby Jofa Guy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Well I definitely could cut back for sure. I am certain that once I get a real job (Not waiting tables) that I'll definitely cut back a good amount

PFiDC

BEER

Postby PFiDC » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:04 pm

DFH Château Jiahu.

Very good. Cider like with a hint of bitter. Goes down way too smooth for 10%. Dangerous.

malkintent

BEER

Postby malkintent » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:14 pm

I tried that and I didn't care for it. I think I was left wanting more of a sake flavor. In retrospect, I really dont think I know what I was expecting from that. DFH confuses me sometimes with some of their stuff. I mean, I dig the historical blah blah blah, bringing in archeologists and what not, I just don't care for the results, most of the time.

I haven't, however, had the chicha...because I couldn't bring myself to get over the spitting aspect of the making process.

slappybrown

BEER

Postby slappybrown » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:43 pm

On recommendation from sir slaps a lot from many moons ago, I picked up a case of Lauganitas Little Sumpin Sumpin. Wow. I don't think that I would have ever picked this beer up without the recommendation because it says it's a wheat and typically I don't enjoy wheats at all. This beer is fantastic though. Hits you with the very floral hops and the mouth feel is smooth and refreshing. Great spring time beer.
:thumb:

Glad you liked it

UVM2003

BEER

Postby UVM2003 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:16 am

It took me awhile to find this place. I missed lurking in the beer thread.

On the pgh beer front - alpine is starting distribution to western pa. Shadyside giant eagle is doing a tap takeover of their brews this Saturday including Nelson; a highly rated ipa. I believe alpine was recently purchased by green flash. Also green flashes silva stout; a bourbon barrel RIS has been around the area. It's very good.

Also pgh craft beer week starts Friday.

Okay back to lurking.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:26 am

Anybody else get some of the Older Viscosity that was on tap at House of 1000? Dang fine stuff! 5-stars!

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:26 am

It took me awhile to find this place. I missed lurking in the beer thread.

On the pgh beer front - alpine is starting distribution to western pa. Shadyside giant eagle is doing a tap takeover of their brews this Saturday including Nelson; a highly rated ipa. I believe alpine was recently purchased by green flash. Also green flashes silva stout; a bourbon barrel RIS has been around the area. It's very good.

Also pgh craft beer week starts Friday.

Okay back to lurking.
Good info, I am unfamiliar with Alpine.

Excited for craft beer week. I'm battling some sort of bug the last day or so, and I really need to kick it in time for the Sour and the Funky this weekend.

shmenguin

BEER

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:33 am

Anybody else get some of the Older Viscosity that was on tap at House of 1000? Dang fine stuff! 5-stars!
had some older viscosity a couple months ago. felt a little flat to me. boozy but with no complexity. it's probably as good as any widely available BA stout, but it's definitely not worth what it costs.

...or i'm just spoiled with BCBS. it really is in a league of its own

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:51 am

Maybe you had a bad bottle of Older and I had a eh bottle of BCBS. I found your opinion of Older to be mine of BCBS (regular), quite good but not to the level of the hype. I have only ever had the one BCBS though.

I had Older in bottle a while ago and though it was very good, maybe 4.5... On tap it was amazing. Lots of flavors, very deep. Plus, at happy hour drafts were 50% off :)

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:57 am

I have a bottle of the Old in my fridge at home, need to try it.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:59 am

There is Old and Older...

Jofa Guy

BEER

Postby Jofa Guy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Deschutes Inversion Ipa- pretty good stuff. Lots of balance between the hops and malt, but still gives a bitter finish. Also with fruit notes as well. Good ipa

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:19 pm

Inversion is great Jofa, just tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

So nice that distributors can sell 12 packs now. My local guy has a damned good knack for craft stuff, even though he's in middle of nowhere, Amish country, he still has a great selection. Picked up a Great Divide "Big Show" variety pack tonight:

Yeti Oak-Aged Imperial Stout
Hercules Double IPA (really intrigued with this one)
Orabelle Belgian Ale
Hibernation Ale (English Style Old Ale) -- Also excited to try this one, I love that style of beer.

12 pack came in at $21.99, which I thought was pretty damned reasonable considering every beer in this pack is over 8% ABV, and they are all good to great beers. I think I might have had the Yeti once several years back but can't remember it. Either way excited to try these.

relantel

BEER

Postby relantel » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:28 pm

You know, some states would kill to be able to buy good beer in case quantities at case pricing...

malkintent

BEER

Postby malkintent » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Orabelle isnt fantastic, but pretty solid. I've had that a couple different times.

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:32 pm

Yeah, you make trade-off in price for all of the variety. No such thing as volume discount on anything better than Yuengling.

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:23 pm

Inversion is great Jofa, just tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

So nice that distributors can sell 12 packs now. My local guy has a damned good knack for craft stuff, even though he's in middle of nowhere, Amish country, he still has a great selection. Picked up a Great Divide "Big Show" variety pack tonight:

Orabelle Belgian Ale
Hibernation Ale (English Style Old Ale) -- Also excited to try this one, I love that style of beer.

12 pack came in at $21.99, which I thought was pretty damned reasonable considering every beer in this pack is over 8% ABV, and they are all good to great beers. I think I might have had the Yeti once several years back but can't remember it. Either way excited to try these.
That's a real nice variety pack, and definitely a decent price. The Yeti and Hercules are both great.

Jofa Guy

BEER

Postby Jofa Guy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:40 pm

Orabelle Belgian Ale

That's a real nice variety pack, and definitely a decent price. The Yeti and Hercules are both great.
Dang that sounds delicious, let me know what you think of the Hercules! BTW, any of you guys notice Sierra Nevada's new label? Nothing too big just different haha

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:09 am

So Hercules. wow. Really, really good, but dangerous. This is a DIPA packing a 10.0% ABV which is incredibly well-hidden. Hoppy, but with a nice balance of malt that just tastes amazing. Easily one of my favorite DIPAs ever.

PFiDC

BEER

Postby PFiDC » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:49 pm

http://wtop.com/food/2015/04/ben-jerrys ... -ale-beer/

Thoughts?

I'd give it a shot but expect very very little.

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:40 pm

I'd give it a shot but expect very very little.