5AF Parenting Thread

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri May 24, 2024 7:44 pm

Our 8 and 10 year old participated in travel soccer tryouts this week. Over 250 kids across 3 days. There will be 6 teams so a lot of kids and parents will be disappointed.

My 10 year old may stop trying out if he doesn’t make it this year. He’s a good athlete, but he also isn’t committed to one sport and doesn’t attend soccer camps like a lot of these kids do. That puts him way behind the 8 ball already, and it will only get harder to make the team as he gets older

I hate the fact that by the age of 10, you already have a good idea whether your kid will play competitive school sports or not. He definitely has the desire, but I don’t want to push him. I’ve talked to many parents that regret pushing their kids to the point they don’t enjoy sports anymore.
We are in the same boat with hockey. Hockey works off birth years by having two birth years play together. Mini meow is the older year this year and I felt like he was a shoo-in to make the program's AA team. Come to tryouts, 48 kids are there for a 13-man roster. Welp...work your ass off and make an impact then fingers crossed. He ended up being the best defenseman out there, but it was super stressful. The hockey director is a great guy and doesn't play favorites. Just because you were on last year's team doesn't mean you're on this year's team.

So now, in an attempt to "keep up," he's on the ice 4 times are week this summer and has one night a week with a private off-ice instructor. He doesn't want to play other sports, but I'd love for him to latch on to something else as a second sport. We tried baseball and it flamed out. He was set-up for success there - batted lead-off and played shortstop. It was kid pitch, and he bats left-handed. He was hit 9 of his first 12 at-bats. That's not how to get a kid hooked on a sport. We did soccer this spring. It's fine, but that whole community of soccer down here is weird. It's competitive, but like....not really competitive. It's like the kids and parents want their kids to be good, but they just aren't athletes.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:09 pm

Our daughter turns 11 in the fall, she just made the U13 team here but has also fell in love with softball. I think we are down to two serious sports at this point so I take that as a win. At some point, she will probably have to pick.

It's definitely tough seeing your little one stressed at the prospect of not making a team. Especially when they've been playing with a lot of the same kids for a while. Meow, what's the ice time schedule like?

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri May 24, 2024 8:29 pm

I’m still letting my kids play whatever they want. They play deck hockey, flag football, soccer, basketball. Played a couple seasons of ice. They enjoy it so it’s hard for me to push them to excel in one sport

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Fri May 24, 2024 9:44 pm

Oldest last day of PreK today and youngest turned 2.5 - I don't like 2 milestones on one day.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri May 24, 2024 10:01 pm

It's definitely tough seeing your little one stressed at the prospect of not making a team. Especially when they've been playing with a lot of the same kids for a while. Meow, what's the ice time schedule like?
Oh he wasn’t stressed. I was. And it was weird because ya boy has been cut from more teams that you can shake a stick at. It’s that whole “out of my control” thing that was like a knot in my stomach.

Summer schedule? Private lessons are Mondays at 5. Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-7. Wednesdays from 8-9. Saturdays from 1-2.

Nuge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Nuge » Sat May 25, 2024 12:04 am

Youth sports specialization is the worst. Kids should be able to play multiple sports, but instead get pushed into picking one early on. Then they get burned out by the time they’re done with high school.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 25, 2024 6:05 am

I’m glad my daughter wanted to stick with one sport. Being forced to watch softball or some other lame **** would be brutal.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 25, 2024 6:07 am

I’m glad my daughter wanted to stick with one sport. Being forced to watch softball or some other lame **** would be brutal.
I don't mind watching softball, but it was really bad earlier in the season when no one could pitch. Watched the other team take a 9-0 lead through two innings without a single base hit. :lol:

Nuge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Nuge » Sat May 25, 2024 6:59 am

I live in a small town and it really hurts all our high school sports teams. Each would be so much better if they had athletes from the other varsity teams, but each coach is so demanding (on the kids time) that it’s almost impossible for them to do more than one. Parents also get delusional about their kid being a division 1 athlete and that doesn’t help.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 27, 2024 8:40 pm

My 6 year old claimed the watermelon balls didn’t taste anywhere as good as the watermelon triangles.

She spit out one of the watermelon balls, and then ate 5 slices of watermelon. They came from the same f*cking watermelon.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 27, 2024 8:46 pm

Yeah? That’s just what Big Melon would say.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Mon May 27, 2024 8:55 pm

I live in a small town and it really hurts all our high school sports teams. Each would be so much better if they had athletes from the other varsity teams, but each coach is so demanding (on the kids time) that it’s almost impossible for them to do more than one. Parents also get delusional about their kid being a division 1 athlete and that doesn’t help.
Yup, exactly. Coaches and parents have made it very tough for kids to play multiple sports. Club soccer coaches seem to be the worst about this in my experience. But it’s also tough for kids to be good enough in multiple sports to make teams in high school because so many kids specialize.

The high school I coach at has 1300 kids. The softball team sucks because it doesn’t have a pitcher and doesn’t have enough for a jv team. The basketball team is decent, but also only has 7 girls who can actually play and doesn’t have enough interest for a jv team. The soccer team is on a good stretch right now, so I’m trying to recruit soccer girls to play basketball. High school sports is just trending down, sadly.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon May 27, 2024 9:09 pm

I don't mind watching softball, but it was really bad earlier in the season when no one could pitch. Watched the other team take a 9-0 lead through two innings without a single base hit. :lol:
The clock is the best thing about soccer.

Driving 45 minutes to a 7-8 year old baseball game that you knew was probably going from 6 pm till it was called for darkness was the freaking worst.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 28, 2024 6:10 am

The clock and, you know, the actual sport. Baseball and softball are two of the most boring things on earth.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 28, 2024 8:35 am

Travel baseball had a time limit, innings limit, or run rule. Of course, when you have to play 4 games in 2 days (if not more) they need to turn the fields over quickly to do that.

skullman80

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue May 28, 2024 9:12 am

Yeah if there is one thing that is nice about travel ball it’s the time limits. It’s usually between 60 and 75 minutes depending on the tournament. Going back to full two hour rec games after that is awful.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue May 28, 2024 10:09 am

Youth soccer being more exciting than youth baseball/softball is a wild take

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 28, 2024 10:13 am

Youth soccer being more exciting than youth baseball/softball is a wild take
What age are we talking? I'd say 10 years old and younger, soccer is far more enjoyable to watch than baseball. After that, it's personal preference.

Nuge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Nuge » Tue May 28, 2024 4:50 pm

Youth/High school sports that I'd prefer to watch rankings:
Football
Basketball
Volleyball
Wrestling
Track and Field
Tennis
Baseball/softball

Swimming

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 28, 2024 5:07 pm

EPL soccer is boring for like 90-95% of the time haha

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue May 28, 2024 5:25 pm

My 6 year old claimed the watermelon balls didn’t taste anywhere as good as the watermelon triangles.

She spit out one of the watermelon balls, and then ate 5 slices of watermelon. They came from the same f*cking watermelon.
Shes 100% right. Watermelon tastes significantly better as a triangle than a sphere

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed May 29, 2024 12:12 pm

My wife's niece graduates from high school tomorrow. My MIL just called me today to say "hey what time are you guys going down there tomorrow" to which I abruptly answered "we were not invited" because, well we weren't and really didn't feel like it was on us to reach out... My wife's upset that we weren't. And I can't say that I blame her, because it's obvious that we're an oversight/afterthought at this point in our lives while we're 'in the thick of it'. I thought perhaps it's a matter of only so much availability of seating but when I looked up the date last week (cause I thought, hmm weird they haven't said anything to us yet) I saw that it said unlimited tickets are available. This is my wife's sister, who's also moving to Nashville (Brentwood, mind you) in July. She's a C suite now making the big bucks and is wholly unrelatable any more. My wife's upset because she's been invited to everything of their kids and always made a point to come, and they have seen one baseball game of Lil macs (3 years ago) and nothing since. Their kids miss our kids birthday parties routinely. It's just unfortunate that in a month or so the "oh you guys should come visit" is going to start with them.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 29, 2024 1:12 pm

Source of the post It's just unfortunate that in a month or so the "oh you guys should come visit" is going to start with them.
Sorry, I've got other plans that week.

dodint

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby dodint » Wed May 29, 2024 1:19 pm

You have to watch skully's in-laws dogs.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 29, 2024 2:33 pm

I'm one of six kids, and we spread out all across the East Coast (from oldest to youngest: Altoona, Vermont, me (State College), NYC, North Carolina, Philly). Vermont, me, and North Carolina are the only ones with kids (1 each). So, as you can imagine, visiting nieces and nephews are pretty much minimal.

My wife is from Cleveland. We've got 7 nieces and nephews there with one more on the way. But... it's Cleveland and we're all in the thick of it like you, Mac. Oldest of the kids is 12. Again, visiting is limited.

I think it would suck if it was always there and then gone, but we've pretty much never had that kind of relationship with siblings, nor our parents for that matter. My MIL came to see one of my kid's soccer games, but that was about it... and that was a big special event for our kid. She was so happy, but I get it. It's a long drive just to come watch a soccer game. Our neighbors are actually the ones that show up to events for the kiddo, which is pretty cool. At least she has some sort of community that we've built here.