I need a ruling on this

AuthorTony

I need a ruling on this

Postby AuthorTony » Fri May 17, 2024 6:01 pm

In my goth girl loving opinion, your mistake is thinking that anyone could be hotter than Fairuza Balk.

MWB

I need a ruling on this

Postby MWB » Fri May 17, 2024 6:03 pm

She was gravitating over to the side of the bar where me and the friend i met for lunch were sitting and initiating conversation with us, presumably because she was (a) bored and (b) we were the only people there less than 20 years her senior. She got to talking about celebrity look alikes and that was my response to her ask...
In this context I think it’s fine… I’d probably say more attractive instead of hotter, but either way. If it’s unsolicited then I’d say no.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 17, 2024 6:06 pm

In my goth girl loving opinion, your mistake is thinking that anyone could be hotter than Fairuza Balk.
Correct.

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Fri May 17, 2024 6:13 pm

All right hang on a minute...

My angle wasn't white knighting on behalf of her when I said you're both wrong. That's just not how I would have gone about the business of picking up a bartender exactly.

But now with sorely needed context, I would have gone with the actress and not the character. And if this was part of a conversation, depending on delivery and tone, I'm pretty tempted to side with the bartender being wrong.

Re: Balk. Easy pass for me, but that's not my jam. I won't go any further than a punk rock princess...I don't go full goth. Though, I'm not judging those who do, certainly...it's well within the range of understandable...

Kaiser

I need a ruling on this

Postby Kaiser » Fri May 17, 2024 6:32 pm

"Of course you do, sweetgrits, you're in Pennsylginia." would be the correct response.

tifosi77

I need a ruling on this

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 17, 2024 8:40 pm

Next time when you learn their name say you had a pet dog called that same name once.

tifosi77

I need a ruling on this

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 17, 2024 8:46 pm

Also, I might be waaaaaaaay out of touch here, but I don't think there's an innocuous way to use the word 'hot' when describing a woman you don't know to their face. Esp one who makes a living basically navigating from unsolicited hit-on to unsolicited hit-on. (Whether they're actually hot or not, bartenders........ deal with a lot haha, or whether or not you're actually hitting on her)

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Fri May 17, 2024 9:58 pm

Haha God damnit I either said "better looking" or "more attractive" I summarized it for my ruling request. I dont think ive called a female "hot" to their face since sophomore year... But it seems the best response is just not engaging on a comparison. Of course, what do I care, I'm not trying to pick her up...

dodint

I need a ruling on this

Postby dodint » Fri May 17, 2024 10:18 pm

Can't wait to check this tomorrow to find out he was never in the bar in the first place.

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Fri May 17, 2024 10:19 pm

Look, you just gotta read the tone of the thread, man...the safest thing to do these days is just not to talk to women...or people of a different race...any of the alphabet people unless they consent to lend their ears...anyone with more than 1000 followers on social media...anyone with less than 1000 followers that wants more...people who start an order with "I'd like a soy..."

It's a dangerous world out there...

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Fri May 17, 2024 10:19 pm

Eh I think it’s the addition of the “hot/more attraction version of” that takes it from an innocent lookalike game into possible creepy dude at the bar territory.

MWB

I need a ruling on this

Postby MWB » Fri May 17, 2024 10:20 pm

Can't wait to check this tomorrow to find out he was never in the bar in the first place.
:lol: :lol:

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Sat May 18, 2024 12:35 am

:lol:

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Sat May 18, 2024 12:38 am

Eh I think it’s the addition of the “hot/more attraction version of” that takes it from an innocent lookalike game into possible creepy dude at the bar territory.
Eh. She was fishing for a compliment. The question i need answered is am I the dadhole for thinking "vicky valencourt" was complimentary or was she the dadhole for being offended?

faftorial

I need a ruling on this

Postby faftorial » Sat May 18, 2024 12:56 am

Eh. She was fishing for a compliment. The question i need answered is am I the dadhole for thinking "vicky valencourt" was complimentary or was she the dadhole for being offended?
What does the Queen think?

JC2

I need a ruling on this

Postby JC2 » Sat May 18, 2024 2:52 am

I think you're looking for validation where we can't possibly give it without seeing her.

If you were talking about "celebrity look-alikes," and that's who she looks like then who cares if she was complimented or not. If she looked like Sloth from the Goonies, and you told her she did, then you would be giving an accurate description and she'd be insulted.

Perhaps your original question should be, "Is telling someone they look like Vicky Valencourt insulting or not?"

tifosi77

I need a ruling on this

Postby tifosi77 » Sat May 18, 2024 11:15 am

That is not, in fact, the question you need answered, mate. :wink:

genoscoif

I need a ruling on this

Postby genoscoif » Sat May 18, 2024 12:10 pm

KC, please tell me you didn't ask your wife her opinion of whether you calling a random bartender, when she wasn't present, a 'hotter version of VV' was okay...especially when she probably already knows that you find Ms. Balk attractive. Pretty please tell me you didn't.

Nuge

I need a ruling on this

Postby Nuge » Sat May 18, 2024 12:14 pm

When I first read Vicky Valencourt, my mind read Vicki Vale from the 89 Batman. Seemed like an odd reference to make.

MWB

I need a ruling on this

Postby MWB » Sat May 18, 2024 12:19 pm

When I first read Vicky Valencourt, my mind read Vicki Vale from the 89 Batman. Seemed like an odd reference to make.
Exactly my reaction.

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Sat May 18, 2024 12:24 pm

Vicki Vale > Vicky Valencourt

Nuge

I need a ruling on this

Postby Nuge » Sat May 18, 2024 12:25 pm

Well obviously...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Sat May 18, 2024 5:08 pm

This brings up a good discussion point separate from KC hitting on a 4

Often, mrs meow or I will notice an attractive person and subtly give the other a head nod or an eyebrow raise. Any other couples do that? Like a quick “yo check her out”

Kaiser

I need a ruling on this

Postby Kaiser » Sat May 18, 2024 5:17 pm

Often, mrs meow or I will notice an attractive person and subtly give the other a head nod or an eyebrow raise. Any other couples do that? Like a quick “yo check her out”
That would have been a death sentence in my marriage.

Sam's Drunk Dog

I need a ruling on this

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat May 18, 2024 5:17 pm

Sounds like the kind that leaves their garage door open a crack