Politics And Current Events

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu May 16, 2024 4:08 pm

It's possible that the courts in NC have interpreted the statute to impose an intent requirement. But if not, then I would disagree with Senator Britt that the statute on its face requires intent to conceal identity. The statutes make it illegal to be in public places "while wearing any mask, hood or device whereby the person, face or voice is disguised so as to conceal the identity of the wearer." I read that as making it illegal to wear a mask that does conceal the identity of the wearer, regardless of whether there is an intent to do so.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 16, 2024 4:44 pm

It's possible that the courts in NC have interpreted the statute to impose an intent requirement. But if not, then I would disagree with Senator Britt that the statute on its face requires intent to conceal identity. The statutes make it illegal to be in public places "while wearing any mask, hood or device whereby the person, face or voice is disguised so as to conceal the identity of the wearer." I read that as making it illegal to wear a mask that does conceal the identity of the wearer, regardless of whether there is an intent to do so.
It makes it really easy for the police to target anyone wearing anything that could possibly conceal their identity. They simply have to state a person was wearing a piece of clothing to conceal their identity and boom they can arrest. It probably won’t hold up in court but it makes it very easy to violate a person’s 1st amendment right just because they feel like it.

Ski mask
Medical mask
Hooded sweatshirt
Sweater with puffy neck
Hat pulled down
Face paint at the county fair

The list goes on.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:01 pm

Is it like seatbelt laws when they first went into effect? You couldn't be pulled over just for not having your belt on, but if you got pulled over for (say) speeding they could tack on a fine for the belt.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:32 pm

It makes it really easy for the police to target anyone wearing anything that could possibly conceal their identity. They simply have to state a person was wearing a piece of clothing to conceal their identity and boom they can arrest. It probably won’t hold up in court but it makes it very easy to violate a person’s 1st amendment right just because they feel like it.

Ski mask
Medical mask
Hooded sweatshirt
Sweater with puffy neck
Hat pulled down

The list goes on.
I get it's North Carolina and you don't need one much, but scarfs appear to qualify.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 16, 2024 6:36 pm

Ski mask
Medical mask
Hooded sweatshirt
Sweater with puffy neck
Hat pulled down

The list goes on.
I get it's North Carolina and you don't need one much, but scarfs appear to qualify.
Motorcyclists, bicyclists, football players, hockey players. Better watch out. Half sarcastic but it’s all common sense until the populace does something police don’t like. Then it’s the black and white law.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu May 16, 2024 8:06 pm

There is an express exception for motorcyclists in the statute.

The intent of the law is to go after and arrest all of the mask-wearing little s**ts who have been doing stuff like blocking roads and setting up "occupation" camps on college campuses. If people don't like the law, blame those folks for messing things up for everyone else, just like if people wanted to wear ski masks back in 1953, they could have blamed the racist morons in the Klan.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu May 16, 2024 8:38 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 16, 2024 9:45 pm

I'm not familiar with undoubtedly robust and evenhanded enforcement of this 1953 statute in North Carolina, but sub 5 reads:
Any of the following are exempted from the provisions of [this mishigas]:

...[a]ny person or persons, as members or members elect of a society, order or organization, engaged in any parade, ritual, initiation, ceremony, celebration or requirement of such society, order or organization, and wearing or using any manner of costume, paraphernalia, disguise, facial makeup, hood, implement or device, whether the identity of such person or persons is concealed or not, on any public or private street, road, way or property, or in any public or private building, provided permission shall have been first obtained therefor by a representative of such society, order or organization from the governing body of the municipality in which the same takes place, or, if not in a municipality, from the board of county commissioners of the county in which the same takes place.
Have permit, can Klan bemasked.

So I'm not entirely sure 'blaming' the Klan would be appropriate in the case of that 1953 law. I think 'excusing' is maybe more appropriate.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu May 16, 2024 9:53 pm

Nobody protesting/parading should be wearing masks. They're cowards otherwise.

The woman who is undergoing cancer treatment should be able to.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu May 16, 2024 10:07 pm

So I'm not entirely sure 'blaming' the Klan would be appropriate in the case of that 1953 law. I think 'excusing' is maybe more appropriate.

N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14‑12.3 says:
It shall be unlawful for any person to join, unite himself with, become a member of, apply for membership in, form, organize, solicit members for, combine and agree with any person or persons to form or organize, or to encourage, aid or assist in any way any secret political society or any secret military society or any secret society having for a purpose the violating or circumventing the laws of the State.

A "secret political society" includes any society "which shall at any time have for a purpose ... violating any lawfully declared policy of the government of the State or any of the laws and constitutional provisions of the State."

N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14‑12.5 makes it illegal for any person to permit a secret society "to meet or to hold any demonstration in or upon any property owned or controlled by him."

N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14‑12.12 makes burning crosses, "real or simulated," illegal.

N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14‑12.13 and N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14‑12.14 make it illegal to place "any exhibit of any kind whatsoever with the intention of intimidating any person or persons, or of preventing them from doing any act which is lawful, or of causing them to do any act which is unlawful." The term "exhibit" is expressly defined to include a noose.

The entire purpose of Article 4A of Chapter 14 is basically to be a comprehensive anti-Klan law. I don't think there's a "gotcha" there, because N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14‑12.3 basically makes it illegal to be in the Klan in the first place (whether § 14‑12.3 is constitutional another question entirely).

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri May 17, 2024 7:39 am

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/us/danie ... id=ios_app
Daniel Perry, a former US Army sergeant who was convicted of murdering a protester at a Black Lives Matter rally in 2020, was released from prison Thursday after he was pardoned by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott.
Daniel Perry, a former US Army sergeant who was convicted of murdering a protester at a Black Lives Matter rally in 2020, was released from prison Thursday after he was pardoned by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 17, 2024 7:49 am

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/us/danie ... id=ios_app
Absolutely deranged.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 17, 2024 7:59 am

Documents related to the case that were unsealed by a Travis County judge following Perry’s conviction show he had a yearslong history of making racist comments in messages and social media posts.

In a Facebook message from May 2020, just weeks before the shooting, Perry told a friend he “might have to kill a few people” who were rioting outside his apartment. The documents also contain a May 2020 text sent by Perry that said, “I might go to Dallas to shoot looters.” Some messages included “white power” memes.

Perry wrote in a 2019 message that it was “to bad we can’t get paid for hunting Muslims in Europe.”

In a June 1, 2020, social media comment, Perry compared the Black Lives Matter movement to “a zoo full of monkeys that are freaking out flinging their sh*t,” the documents show.
Seems like a good dude...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 17, 2024 8:12 am

Here's hoping that he steps in front of a bus in the near future.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 17, 2024 8:14 am

Classic “good guy with a gun” situation

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri May 17, 2024 8:30 am

I mean. No one is going to stop me from wearing a medical mask if I deem it appropriate

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri May 17, 2024 9:00 am

Two guys with guns in a heated situation… usually not a good recipe. Seems like Perry put himself in a bad situation, and seems like Foster escalated the situation. Neither of them have guns, this is nothing or maybe a fist fight. One of them has a gun, maybe a death or maybe someone backs down. They both have guns, and one person is dead and the other has his life permanently altered. Guns escalate these situations exponentially, so maybe it’s not a good idea to have it be a right and it should be a privilege instead.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri May 17, 2024 9:50 am

So next time there's a protest in Texas, just go huntin', Abbott has your back?

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 17, 2024 9:56 am

Live look in at Shyster right now:

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri May 17, 2024 10:00 am

Live look in at Shyster right now:
Theme song, “Always strapped when I hit the club…”

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri May 17, 2024 3:01 pm

White Bronco 2, coming this spring

https://bocanewsnow.com/2024/05/16/rudy ... ch-county/
Authorities say they’ve been trying to serve Giuliani with the indictment for several weeks, but have yet to find him. He is required to appear in court, in Arizona, within the next several days. An arrest warrant could be issued if he does not appear.

Rudolph W. Giuliani, according to the Palm Beach County Property Appraiser, owns a condo at 315 South Lake Drive in West Palm Beach. It was purchased in February of 2010 for $1.4M. He was apparently last seen in that area before disappearing.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 17, 2024 3:12 pm

CNN just showed hotel video from 2016 of p diddy beating the crap out of his girlfriend. Ain’t no hiding from it now

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 17, 2024 3:22 pm

CNN just showed hotel video from 2016 of p diddy beating the crap out of his girlfriend. Ain’t no hiding from it now
That's brutal.

Send him to prison.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri May 17, 2024 8:12 pm

Seems like he's been a bad boy for life.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 17, 2024 8:17 pm