Politics And Current Events

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:42 am

Nah, I love the old man.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:00 pm

Nah, I love the old man.
Mmhmm.
have gone as far as to installing W11 on his laptop.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:18 pm

Sorry but I am not for sale

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:18 pm

He sent me an e-mail this afternoon about troubleshooting BSODs, so he's dead to me at the moment.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:31 pm

Facebook and Instagram outages widespread on Super Tuesday.

Hacked?
Can't wait for the call from my dad today to help him reset his password.
lol. I have gotten a dozen calls and texts from my dad over the last week due to wireless issues on his laptop. Spent a ton of time troubleshooting to no avail, bought a USB wireless card to fix it (no more disconnects, but now doesn’t remember the auto connect even though I’ve cleaned up the cached connections), and have gone as far as to installing W11 on his laptop. Now his wireless is rock solid but it blue screens every day. :lol: My last ditch effort was a new nvidia driver since his is over 2 years old. He’s already convinced he needs to buy a new laptop, which is just stupid.
My parents have had the same issue. All device in the house connect to the WiFi except the laptop and desktop. Both HPs, strike one, but I bought a usb connector to direct plug and it worked for a time and stopped, uninstalled the driver and rebooted to get it back and worked for a while and now nothing. Might try the USB wireless card route next. The desktop went back to working but that thing is so slow Jeff Carter could skate a lap before I can open any windows.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:36 pm

I keep seeing things saying, but they left it to states or congress to pass a law saying they can be disqualified. Isn't there something already out there saying this? Is that anything? @Shyster

The decision says that for federal elections, disqualification can only come from a law passed by Congress. The decision notes that the only current statute remaining out of the Enforcement Act of 1870 would be 18 U.S.C. § 2383, which makes it a federal crime to "engage[] in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or give[] aid or comfort thereto" and says that someone who does "shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States." Trump would either need to be disqualified under that statute or under some other statute passed by Congress (which, given Republican control of the House, ain't happening).

The decision does say that states may enforce Section 3 as to their own state elections. So Colorado is free to keep Trump off the ballot in the event Trump runs for Governor of Colorado or any other elected position in Colorado. But states cannot enforce Section 3 as to elections for federal office.
Thanks, is there something setup in this world that even if they passed this new law, it wouldn't pertain to Donny because of how it's current with him?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:36 pm

He has an Alienware laptop (way overkill) that uses piece of **** Killer networking modules. You basically can't just the drivers anymore, as they bundle everything into their full suite. And it's the suite and services that cause all of these issues, hence why I went the USB card route. I left the suite installed with the services disabled so that Windows Update doesn't reinstall the services in a started state. Seems to have worked, but now these blue screens. I may just wipe his entire machine and throw W10 22H2 back onto it. All of his actual data is already backed up on OneDrive.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:39 pm

I think my PC has that same Killer wifi module. I've never had an issue with it but I remember being warned that it was bad juju.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:11 pm

Good point eddy, IMO*:
But the 14th has already been executed at the State level specifically during Reconstruction despite it not being ratified when the Confederacy was created. So Jefferson Davis would have been able to use that defense (I didn't know it would be wrong when I joined an insurrection) but would have still been barred from participating.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:43 pm

Good riddance, loser.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:57 pm

Oh good, another election Kari Lake can lose and cry foul over.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:03 pm

Not sure I am fully grasping the end-game here for her. But on it's face it makes sense, this is the only way she'd get to run in the general. If she were to run as an independent, she would at best be a spoiler candidate, and I'm not even sure the votes she'd get as an independent would have any impact on the general. I am not sure what coalition she thinks that she even has, rich centrists, I mean, not wealthy suburbanites, but actual rich hedge fund owners? What's that like 200 people in Arizona? And republicans that like that she **** with the democrats' agenda?

All I see is a ploy to collect donations from rich people who believe she can spoil Ruben Gallego, or whoever the AZ democrats nominate (it's going to be Ruben Gallego). I bet she drops out before the general and just has that money in some pac as she plays around with being a political candidate for a couple of years to stave off having to get a real job.

But every article or tweet from maintstream journalist that implies she could spoil the election for the democrats should be considered a donation to the Sinema no-real-job campaign.
Called it

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:33 pm

Thanks, is there something setup in this world that even if they passed this new law, it wouldn't pertain to Donny because of how it's current with him?

Don't think so. It couldn't be a criminal statute due to the constitutional prohibition on ex post facto laws, but I suppose Congress could pass a law that, say, empowers the Federal Election Commission or some similar board to make determinations as to whether a candidate is prohibited from running for federal office by Section 3. Or they could empower the Attorney General to bring a quo warranto suit in federal court to determine ballot eligibility. There's lots of ways Congress could do it. (They won't, but there's lots of ways they could.)

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:34 pm

Facebook and Instagram outages widespread on Super Tuesday.

Hacked?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:46 pm

:roll:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:56 pm

What's funny about Facebook being out is that I got three nag emails this morning/early PM because I haven't logged in today. I was at a conference and wasn't **** around with Facebook, so I get random emails with status updates from friends. I wasn't tagged or had anything to do with it other than not engaging with that cursed website today. Turns out it was down most of the morning. WTF?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:18 pm

What's funny about Facebook being out is that I got three nag emails this morning/early PM because I haven't logged in today. I was at a conference and wasn't **** around with Facebook, so I get random emails with status updates from friends. I wasn't tagged or had anything to do with it other than not engaging with that cursed website today. Turns out it was down most of the morning. WTF?
But twitter was still up. And the other 99.9999% of internet was too.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:05 pm

In case anyone else was wondering, according to the NYT, the earliest Trump could mathematically clinch the Republican nomination would be March 12, when Georgia, Hawaii, Mississippi, and Washington have their primaries/caucuses, but it's more likely that it would be March 19, when Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, and Ohio have their primaries/caucuses.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/01/us/p ... ation.html

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:11 pm

How's the libertarian ticket looking?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:33 pm

In case anyone else was wondering, according to the NYT, the earliest Trump could mathematically clinch the Republican nomination would be March 12, when Georgia, Hawaii, Mississippi, and Washington have their primaries/caucuses, but it's more likely that it would be March 19, when Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, and Ohio have their primaries/caucuses.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/01/us/p ... ation.html
Of course he's going to win the nomination.

Anyone projecting otherwise wouldn't be taken seriously.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:36 pm

Trump speaking now in his dystopian victory speech.

Steven Miller is back.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:29 am

In case anyone was worried about politicians getting too young, Steve Garvey looks like he'll finish top two tonight and stand 1:1 against Adam Schiff to become the junior Senator from the great state of California. Garvey is 75. One of the other top four candidates (Barbara Lee, D) is 77. This in the bid to replace a woman who literally old aged herself to death in office.

Fun fact: Steve Garvey's campaign has not run a single TV ad of its own. Garvey's campaign, as of a week ago, had less than $1 million.
Not sure what Katie Porter thought she was going to accomplish with this run. She flipped a solid red seat in Orange County, and held serve twice. But all three of the top D candidates were sitting House members, who couldn't stand for reelection and seek the Senate seat. So come January, Lee and Porter are out. Lee is a no-hoper on the backend of her career and pledged to only stay in the Senate for one term and will no doubt be replaced by a very liberal liberal (there are 9 candidates on the primary ballot for CA-12, the two Republicans are combining for around 11%). But Porter is likely creating a seat flip in return for running a never-convincing attempt to grab a seat that was never realistically up for grabs.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:23 am

Nikki Haley dropping out.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:24 am

Pissbaby endorsement coming in 3... 2...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:43 am

In case anyone was worried about politicians getting too young, Steve Garvey looks like he'll finish top two tonight and stand 1:1 against Adam Schiff to become the junior Senator from the great state of California. Garvey is 75. One of the other top four candidates (Barbara Lee, D) is 77. This in the bid to replace a woman who literally old aged herself to death in office.

Fun fact: Steve Garvey's campaign has not run a single TV ad of its own. Garvey's campaign, as of a week ago, had less than $1 million.
Not sure what Katie Porter thought she was going to accomplish with this run. She flipped a solid red seat in Orange County, and held serve twice. But all three of the top D candidates were sitting House members, who couldn't stand for reelection and seek the Senate seat. So come January, Lee and Porter are out. Lee is a no-hoper on the backend of her career and pledged to only stay in the Senate for one term and will no doubt be replaced by a very liberal liberal (there are 9 candidates on the primary ballot for CA-12, the two Republicans are combining for around 11%). But Porter is likely creating a seat flip in return for running a never-convincing attempt to grab a seat that was never realistically up for grabs.

And that's Steve Garvey, as in the former San Diego Padre/LA Dodger Steve Garvey?