Movie Thread

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:34 pm

Haha, she's not a good actress and her face looks like it just had a large vacuum hose stuck and pulled off it. She annoys the hell out of me.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:14 pm

Saw Dune 2 last night and it was **** awesome
Seeing it on Wednesday in what will be the most crowded theater I have been to solo in years. There were already six seats taken when I purchased my tickets last week.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:56 pm

watched the new Hunger Games on my flight back from Bogota. What a dreadful movie. And it was nearly 3 hours

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:48 pm

I’d totally watch this.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:10 pm

I saw a trailer for Megamind 2 the other day, and holy hell I don’t know what to say. The original was fantastic. This one? The animation looks like late 90s baby CGI, dialogue is bad, etc. It’s a complete 180 from the original.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:48 pm

Yeah no way.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:50 am

Saw Dune 2 last night and it was **** awesome
I too watched it yesterday, it was indeed **** awesome. Love how simple and coherent Villeneuve made this. I have a few minor complaints, but nothing that took away from the movie. I also watched the first one before part two and it was so good on rewatch. He did a good joke b basically making part two a stand alone movie.

They had a trailer for RAD (coming back to theaters for a night) and I'll be honest, seeing clips from rad in a packed theater sorta threw off my dune experience. Took me a while to switch from rad to Maud dib mode.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:54 am

Mowed down some terrible movies over the weekend...
Legal Eagles - Redford and Winger were good, but the plot made no sense and neither did a surprisingly manly looking (in this) Darryl Hannah. The bad guy in the movie blows up an entire hangar/storage facility instead of just shredding a few incriminating documents. It just made no sense at any point.
Speed - Seen that a number of times before, but the wife hadn't in a long time, so we just sat there ripping it. 50 feet of highway isn't finished? **** off. Oh no, now the subway track isn't finished either? "Can we really double dip with two missing track exploits in a 30 minute span? We sure can, because f*** the stupid audience."
Something's Gotta Give - Yeah, I hope it's the stool beneath my feet as I hang from a beam. The dialogue of this movie and just the way the characters interact - it's almost like no one was on set at the same time as any other character. It just feels like they're talking to no one and interacting with no one. Keanu Reeves as a doctor is hilarious. Jack Nicholson and his giant toaster oven head has a heart attack like four times in the movie...yuck...it's really terrible.

After the Penguins game, we watched some movie where Philip Seymour Hoffman sniffs gasoline for the entire movie...I fell asleep at some point during that, but watching him act is always fun for me...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:05 am

opinion discarded if you categorize Speed as “terrible”

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:12 am

Well, it's not "terrible"...it just got roped into the list. It's a big, giant trope though...

For a movie that is basically, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down" - we go a half hour without a bus to start the movie.

Sassy cop dialogue
Access panels
Sassy cop dialogue
Access panels
Sassy cop dialogue
Girl misses bus
Corny tourist dialogue
Sassy urban dialogue with a cop
Access panels
Cop stuff
Sandra Bullock driving for no reason at all
Cop stuff
Access panels
The least interesting villain
Access panels
Sassy cop dialogue

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:14 am

Also watched "The Meg" - I forgot about that. That is a spot on 1995 movie from top to bottom, except somehow it was made in 2018. As expected, it makes absolutely no sense at all, and it appears the budget for the movie was $2.4 thousand dollars...but that's a spot on mid 90's movie. It's just as bad as Deep Blue Sea, but somehow even less enjoyable...

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:16 am

You definitely don't want to watch Meg 2, then.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:30 am

Speed is a 90's classic. Incredible film.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:32 am

I just watched Meg 2 last week. It was a movie.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:43 am

The first one was entertaining. The second was just unnecessary.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:21 am

mikey do you know you go an hour into Jaws without a shark, and a little over an hour into Alien without the titular creature? An hour!! Half an hour into Speed without a bus is downright rapid pacing. Jan de Bont was like "Let's go! Hop to it! We have chasms to jump!"

Fun fact: The first time I ever visited Los Angeles, my host friend took me to Venice and I called my mom from the same payphone that Keanu Reeves uses to speak to Dennis Hopper. She absolutely loves Speed (and True Lies) for reasons that are, 30+ years on, completely unfathomable to me. (I mean, I love those movies - esp True Lies. I just don't really get why she does. Sort of against the grain for her; her favorite movies list is like Gone With The Wind, Murder On The Orient Express, Speed, Kramer vs Kramer, True Lies......)

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:24 am

I absolutely love the Speed combo of de Bont directing and Bartkowiak on lens for that movie. I just couldn't imagine it working any other way, it's kinda perfect

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:31 am

Imagine loving, rather than simply enduring, Kramer v. Kramer.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:32 am

Yeah, but in Jaws, the shark is like the climax...well, at least in the movie version. In the book, Brody and the shark settle their differences by playing rock, paper, scissors and then the shark dies nine years later from Lou Gehrig's disease...(it's been a while since I read it...but I remember the ending being very anti-climactic compared to the combustible shark movie ending)

But in the movie, right, it's all the lead up to a big battle. So that makes sense. In Speed, the literal vehicle *cough* for the movie is a bus that cannot slow down. The half hour of being elevator repairmen only matches the entirely-too-long elevator shaft traversing opening credits.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am

Better use of an elevator to build tension? Speed or Silence of the Lambs?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:44 am

But.......... once the shark appears there's still an hour of movie left in Jaws. Because Mayor Vaughn and Quint are the antagonists to our hero, not the shark.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:14 pm

Dune part 2 was very good, despite the fact that I still don't see Timothee Chalamet being in a fight, like ever.
This is going to stop after the 3rd film, right? This one was on the verge of being too long.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:53 pm

It will stop after the 3rd until they reboot it again. I thought both of these movies despite their runtime flew by. I also thought they had some very good changes from the book.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:03 pm

Something's Gotta Give - Yeah, I hope it's the stool beneath my feet as I hang from a beam. The dialogue of this movie and just the way the characters interact - it's almost like no one was on set at the same time as any other character. It just feels like they're talking to no one and interacting with no one. Keanu Reeves as a doctor is hilarious. Jack Nicholson and his giant toaster oven head has a heart attack like four times in the movie...yuck...it's really terrible.

My wife will rewatch this movie. I don't understand it. Actually her whole collection of rewatchable movies is so bizarre to me that I've given up.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:35 pm

My wife will rewatch this movie. I don't understand it. Actually her whole collection of rewatchable movies is so bizarre to me that I've given up.
I'm actually surprised how bad it is. I don't know if it's supposed to be like empowering for 64 year olds to bang each other or whatever...but I was expecting it to be like, just sort of average, very movie trope-y nonsense, maybe one cheap chuckle, and a couple eyerolls...but it's just a toothache throughout.

There's also hardly any extras. They're on this beautiful beach on a beautiful day...not a soul around. They're in a hospital, where Keanu Reeves just constantly appears from anywhere like it's ****** Mission Impossible, there are no patients...no one is in the waiting room. The dumb old bag goes to the beach to collect..............rocks. Not shells. Not coins. Regular ass rocks.

I got through it by imagining that every time Jack stops and stares at another character and there's this beat and a half of silence, I just imagine a couple of pieces of toast popping out of the top of his head to break up scene. Other than that, it's such utter rubbish.

If it was an average movie, with average writing, and average interplay between characters...I'm fine. I go about my Sunday pleased as punch. But it's such ****** weapons-grade bologna that I can't stand it...

Anyway, good luck to you sir.