NFL

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:26 am

Shanahan made alot of dumb decisions in the 2nd half yesterday. He's so smart, yet so stupid sometimes.

I also think losing Greenlaw really hurt. Some of those Kelce plays late wouldn't have been as big of gainers if it was Greenlaw instead of Burks in. Greenlaw is the attitude and heartbeat of the defense even if Warner is a little bit better. They feed off each other. His absence was felt.
It is wild/sad that he got hurt the way he did. It's incredible the injuries the 49ers get at the most critical times, multiple years in a row.

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:26 am

I liked the State Farm one with Arnold and Danny DeVito
Yeah, forgot about that one - definitely liked it.

Troy Loney

NFL

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:29 am

The bottom line here is football overtime sucks.
What’s your proposal?
I would say in a possession based game like football, there isn't a good OT design. Just is what it is, now they have this weird conditions based setup to try and eliminate the impact of the randomized coin toss. Which I think I would say is fine.

mac5155

NFL

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:31 am

Yeah. Basically what I was trying to say.

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:31 am

MrKennethTKangaroo

NFL

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:32 am

I say play an entire quarter in playoff ot

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:33 am

like last night?

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:33 am

The new annoying thing about Swift/Kelce. Kelce is now an abuser because of his blow-up with Reid.

mac5155

NFL

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:35 am

They basically did last night though.

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:40 am

Shanahan made alot of dumb decisions in the 2nd half yesterday. He's so smart, yet so stupid sometimes.

I also think losing Greenlaw really hurt. Some of those Kelce plays late wouldn't have been as big of gainers if it was Greenlaw instead of Burks in. Greenlaw is the attitude and heartbeat of the defense even if Warner is a little bit better. They feed off each other. His absence was felt.
It is wild/sad that he got hurt the way he did. It's incredible the injuries the 49ers get at the most critical times, multiple years in a row.
That's Greek tragedy stuff, honestly. I felt horrible for him.

Somebody likened this era to MJ's era in the NBA and its interesting. PM15 is not MJ level of a gamechanger, I feel like MJ changed the way you played basketball and Mahomes doesn't do that. But MJ certainly hid a lot of great players in his and Phil's shadow, guys that should have rings but didn't because the ran into the Bulls buzzsaw. It's early yet, but since Mahomes first season (2018), Three QBs have had a title: Brady (2x) PM (3x) and Matt Stafford!?. We'll see what the future holds I guess, but I do feel for fans of other teams that they don't get to experience the excitement of a title.

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:45 am

They said the same things about Brady/Ben/Manning.

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:48 am

Mahomes is why I point to the strategy of finding your franchise QB sooner rather than later. Pairing elite talent with even a good/great/elite coach can do wonders for your franchise.

That team will likely be good for a decade plus, and will probably pull in more money than they would had they had 5-10 down years trying to capture the next franchise player.

Troy Loney

NFL

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:52 am

Somebody likened this era to MJ's era in the NBA and its interesting. PM15 is not MJ level of a gamechanger, I feel like MJ changed the way you played basketball and Mahomes doesn't do that. But MJ certainly hid a lot of great players in his and Phil's shadow, guys that should have rings but didn't because the ran into the Bulls buzzsaw. It's early yet, but since Mahomes first season (2018), Three QBs have had a title: Brady (2x) PM (3x) and Matt Stafford!?. We'll see what the future holds I guess, but I do feel for fans of other teams that they don't get to experience the excitement of a title.
Impossible for an NFL player to have the same impact as MJ. Too many other players on the field.

The Chiefs defense was also extremely good this year and floated the offense through that time where they were trying to figure out which skill position guys should be on the field. The defense will take a hit this offseason, I don't think there's anyway they can keep Sneed and Jones (I would do everything they can to keep Jones and let Sneed walk). But that's not the issue, Kelce and Mahomes can play a two-man game out there at times. I doubt he'll ever have that connection again in his career (a la Brady-Welker).

So hopefully Kelce takes the offseason a little more seriously, he looks chunky and he was coming off the field after every catch. And they get 1-2 more years with the necessary core. Then there will be a lull, the question for goat will be whether he is able to win in those later years like Brady did.

Orlando Penguin

NFL

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:54 am

The bottom line here is football overtime sucks.
What’s your proposal?
I would say in a possession based game like football, there isn't a good OT design. Just is what it is, now they have this weird conditions based setup to try and eliminate the impact of the randomized coin toss. Which I think I would say is fine.
I think the way they did it last nite is the most equitable and leaves out most debates about sudden death. I don’t mind playing a full quarter but let’s say they do that last nite and KC gets stopped when Mahomes ran on 4th down. There’s 6:00 left and you’re gonna make SF bleed out the time? Perhaps that does hold more drama.

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:58 am

Yep, and luckily Ben and Peyton still got there's. So I'm hopeful.
I love seeing the Chiefs win titles, but I also don't want to take them for granted.

MrKennethTKangaroo

NFL

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:14 am

They basically did last night though.
Yes. And I was ok with that. Most “normal” quarters have more than two possessions though

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:17 am

Impossible for an NFL player to have the same impact as MJ. Too many other players on the field.

The Chiefs defense was also extremely good this year and floated the offense through that time where they were trying to figure out which skill position guys should be on the field. The defense will take a hit this offseason, I don't think there's anyway they can keep Sneed and Jones (I would do everything they can to keep Jones and let Sneed walk). But that's not the issue, Kelce and Mahomes can play a two-man game out there at times. I doubt he'll ever have that connection again in his career (a la Brady-Welker).

So hopefully Kelce takes the offseason a little more seriously, he looks chunky and he was coming off the field after every catch. And they get 1-2 more years with the necessary core. Then there will be a lull, the question for goat will be whether he is able to win in those later years like Brady did.
I think you've got to keep one or the other, and I'd agree with you on which one. We've hit pretty well in the draft on the back end and it looks like there's still going to be some really exciting names left at the end of Round 1. Literally...there's a dude named Kool-Aid out of Alabama.

But there's nobody on the offensive side of the ball you've got to replace this season, and if they can snatch Tee Higgins in FA that's another monster group.
So you're left with Sneed/Jones in the top tier on defense, and honestly guys like Nnadi and Tranquil who's spots you should be able to plug.

The window is when Kelce retires, or becomes completely ineffective. Judging by the regular season, that's sooner rather than later.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:24 am

Difference in coaches here…

Sweet jesus. That is inexcusable.
Holy........ this is pretty difficult to comprehend.

Gaucho

NFL

Postby Gaucho » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:27 am

indeed

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:39 am

It is kind of a bananas run. At least one of Brady/Ben/Manning/Mahomes was in like 18 or 19 of the AFC Championship games since 2000, and often times two of them played each other. The Patriots separately went to 8 straight and I think 5 out of 7; the Steelers had 4 out of 6 or 7; Manning never went more than 4 or 5 years between AFCCGs, or something.

And now overlapping the end of that era, the Chiefs have gone to I think 5 straight.

MrKennethTKangaroo

NFL

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:40 am

Someone’s head has to roll for those comments.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:45 am

Also, one thing to remember folks: This was a down year for KC. They had a turbulent regular season, and made the playoffs in no small part because they play in a tire fire of a division that saw two rivals fire their coaches in-season, and the third was Denver. But once they got to the playoffs, they beat the best offenses and defenses in the League, and knocked out both #1 seeds.

Their defense is probably only going to be better next year, and Mahomes is still under 30. Eventually the physical toll of playing three and four playoff games every year for half a decade will catch up to the core players. But man.

LeopardLetang

NFL

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:53 am

the chiefs defensive coaching blew me away this post season

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:54 am

The offense is pretty amazing, they had to overcome being coached by Matt Nagy and still managed to win a SB.

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:58 am

I thought the 49ers defense was the better of the two, until the injury, and Shanahan forcing them on the field for half a quarter because his big brain wanted to throw the ball.