Colossal TV Show thread

Rylan

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Rylan » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:53 pm

Watched the entirety of Twisted Metal recently. overall...was a fun show that i would recommend to people. It had no right being a decent watch.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:31 pm

Last two episodes of True Detective have not been great. With two episodes left, they have a lot of detectiving to do.
Yeah, I'm pretty underwhelmed. It's amazing how season 1 really caught lightning in a bottle and every other season... hasn't. Everything this time around seems forced. The S1 references don't feel organic. The characters don't seem real. The subplots are cliched. The horror elements consist of lame jump scares straight out of a PG 13 teen horror flick. I know it's unfair to compared it S1, which might be the greatest TV of all time, but this is just so bland. Maybe it's good that it's only 6 episodes, otherwise I might quit.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:07 am

Last two episodes of True Detective have not been great. With two episodes left, they have a lot of detectiving to do.
Yeah, I'm pretty underwhelmed. It's amazing how season 1 really caught lightning in a bottle and every other season... hasn't. Everything this time around seems forced. The S1 references don't feel organic. The characters don't seem real. The subplots are cliched. The horror elements consist of lame jump scares straight out of a PG 13 teen horror flick. I know it's unfair to compared it S1, which might be the greatest TV of all time, but this is just so bland. Maybe it's good that it's only 6 episodes, otherwise I might quit.
I don't think it's unfair at all as they made the choice to try and connect to the first season. I'm starting to feel that was a cheap gimmick to get more people excited as nothing has really developed from that in the first two episodes

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:49 am

Anthology type shows are difficult to get to work, I guess. Noah Hawley somehow gets Fargo to work every season (I have not watched the Chris Rock season though). I don't watch it, but American Horror Story seems to work each season. Not sure what's up with True Detective.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:52 am

I guess this is one of the problems with waiting til a show's season finishes to watch it. I was looking forward to True Detective but now I feel like it's not worth the time.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:56 am

I guess this is one of the problems with waiting til a show's season finishes to watch it. I was looking forward to True Detective but now I feel like it's not worth the time.
It still could turn out fine, all depends if they focus on the main story these last two episodes. The big difference between this and the first season was they were actually doing detective work in the first. This season started out promising, but slowly morphed into detective work being done off screen and popping up in the last 10 minutes to move the story to the next episode and the writing for the secondary stories is not good.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:39 am

This looks like fun.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:46 am

Hey that's the Hound. I need to watch those Sonic films.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:48 am

We very much enjoyed both of the films. They were excellent.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:12 pm

We finally got back into Our Flag Means Death. The season really picks up after the first few episodes and we ended up really enjoying it. Definitely not as good as season 1, but a nice followup and a fitting end.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:03 pm

Anthology type shows are difficult to get to work, I guess. Noah Hawley somehow gets Fargo to work every season (I have not watched the Chris Rock season though). I don't watch it, but American Horror Story seems to work each season. Not sure what's up with True Detective.
Every season of Fargo has had a faint connection to one another. Except, from what I can tell, season 5. Was there something subtle I missed?

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:41 pm

I don't think there are any connections, unfortunately. Season five was really good though. Probably as good as the first couple.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:35 am

Hmm. This doesn't look great. Maybe it's Patton Oswalt and Matt Walsh in it? And the short Lincoln...

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:21 pm

Just watched “We Own This City” HBO miniseries on the Baltimore City Police corruption of the 2010s. It was made by the guy that did The Wire. Def worth a watch.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:30 pm

Just watched “We Own This City” HBO miniseries on the Baltimore City Police corruption of the 2010s. It was made by the guy that did The Wire. Def worth a watch.
One of my favorite miniseries of all-time, and great from start to finish. Bernthal absolutely killed it in that role.

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:04 pm

I wonder if the Feast of Seven Fishes episode of The Bear should be a Christmas season watch every year. Hmmm...
Just watched.

That’s a hard no. It’s great and enjoyable but a holiday classic of revisiting trauma. No thanks.
Wife and I just caught up to this one. I'm pretty sure I was actually anxiety sweating during over the last half hour.
The second season has been largely positive/happy so definitely a punch in the face compared to the mostly calm theme this season. All of the cameos were fantastic in their roles imo

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:16 pm

One of my favorite miniseries of all-time, and great from start to finish. Bernthal absolutely killed it in that role.
Check out the David Simon miniseries Show Me A Hero, with Oscar Isaac. Very, very good. Not many people talk about it though.

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:25 pm

Couldn’t agree more… it was incredible.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:44 pm

I wonder if the Feast of Seven Fishes episode of The Bear should be a Christmas season watch every year. Hmmm...
Just watched.

That’s a hard no. It’s great and enjoyable but a holiday classic of revisiting trauma. No thanks.
Wife and I just caught up to this one. I'm pretty sure I was actually anxiety sweating during over the last half hour.
The second season has been largely positive/happy so definitely a punch in the face compared to the mostly calm theme this season. All of the cameos were fantastic in their roles imo
Agreed. The cameos were good because I wasn’t constantly going “oh that’s so and so” they struck me at first but then were played very well. Mulaney didn’t overdo playing himself. JLC was incredible. The only one that somewhat took me out of it was Britta. That’s Community’s fault though, not the actress.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:30 am

Check out the David Simon miniseries Show Me A Hero, with Oscar Isaac. Very, very good. Not many people talk about it though.
You had me at David Simon.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:13 pm

James Gunn Gives Peacemaker Season 2 Update, Confirms New Intro Sequence Is Coming
Gotta be honest, I love the intro in S01 so much that it will be a massive letdown if the new one sucks.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:01 am

Mr. and Mrs. Smith on Amazon Prime was interesting. I liked it, I think? But I need others to watch it and let me know what they think.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:24 pm

We're rewatching The Office (UK) and the thing that is much more clear the second time around is that Gareth (or Dwight) is the linchpin that makes the scenario work.

I'm also struck by how wholly unlikable David Brent is; I know the US version didn't really gain traction until they made Michael Scott less douchey, but I just didn't remember what an utter Canaan Brent was.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:03 pm

True Detective S4 E5
Okay, this show is just plain bad. By far the worst season of the franchise, and I can't imagine any way the final episode could change that.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:12 pm

We’ve started a rewatch of the bear season 1 since it had been a while since we’d seen it and season 2 is out. Forgot how good it was.