Politics And Current Events

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:42 pm

What in the hell is going on in this country...
A Pennsylvania man accused of beheading his father, a federal employee, and then holding the victim’s severed head in a video he uploaded to YouTube was charged Wednesday with first-degree murder, abuse of a corpse and possession of an instrument of crime. In the graphic video, which has since been removed, the man also went on a 14-minute tirade, espousing right-wing conspiracy theories, demanding that President Biden resign and threatening to kill federal workers.

Police apprehended Justin Mohn, 32, on Tuesday night, roughly 100 miles from the home he shared with his mother and father in Levittown, Pa. Mohn is being held without bail in the Bucks County Correctional Facility.

Officers responded to the Mohns’ home Tuesday evening after the victim’s wife discovered his body and called emergency dispatchers. Police found the decapitated body of 68-year-old Michael F. Mohn in a bathroom “with a large amount of blood around him,” according to the criminal complaint. Police said a machete and large knife were found in the bathtub.

Police found the victim’s severed head in a plastic bag placed in a cooking pot in a first-floor bedroom. Investigators recovered bloody rubber gloves in another bedroom and others in a trash can next to a bedroom desk.

The victim’s wife told police she had left the house earlier that day, leaving only her son and her husband at home. Before she returned to find the body, Justin Mohn had taken his father’s car and fled the scene. He was tracked down by investigators who used cellphone data to locate him, Middletown Township police chief Joe Bartorilla told The Washington Post by phone.

In the video Mohn posted after the killing, he said his father had worked for the federal government for more than 20 years and called him “a traitor.” He wore a pair of bloodstained gloves and showed a bloodied plastic bag that appeared to contain his father’s head. He also railed against immigration, the LGBT community, the Black Lives Matter movement and the antifa movement. He called for an end of the federal government and said America was being run by a network of traitors.
(Gift link): https://wapo.st/3UnkSUL

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:56 pm

I wasn't that PA man. Not sure about others on here.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:42 pm

Trump loses to Biden in new poll. Get wrecked Conservanerds!!!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 88343.html
Last edited by Pavel Bure on Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:22 am

I’m trying to figure out…why would Instagram allow users to see the results? To keep them on the platform still? It’s so odd

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:22 am

New pole, eh

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:57 am

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:29 am

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:50 am

A trump appointed judge ruled in favor of DeSantis? Shocking. This will get appealed. It’s sort of weird to be like “yeah, he can punish specific districts and you can’t use his own words against him in your case to prove that he did it as revenge.” I don’t think this is the end. They’ll appeal. Big time.

This you?
Disney holds all the cards here. This is DeSantis posturing for his upcoming Presidential run. Disney got that **** you money where they'll fight and eventually win. They're also the biggest tourist attraction in Florida and bring in a ton of money. Not to mention the state's largest employer at 62,000 employees. DeSantis can't win this.

Caption: 0-1 "internet lawyer" going for 0-2. :lol:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:53 am

I’m trying to figure out…why would Instagram allow users to see the results? To keep them on the platform still? It’s so odd

The smart answer (but one that would likely piss off a certain "muh freedumbs" group) should have been that they record who clicks to see it and report them to the authorities.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:55 am

A trump appointed judge ruled in favor of DeSantis? Shocking. This will get appealed. It’s sort of weird to be like “yeah, he can punish specific districts and you can’t use his own words against him in your case to prove that he did it as revenge.” I don’t think this is the end. They’ll appeal. Big time.

This you?
Disney holds all the cards here. This is DeSantis posturing for his upcoming Presidential run. Disney got that **** you money where they'll fight and eventually win. They're also the biggest tourist attraction in Florida and bring in a ton of money. Not to mention the state's largest employer at 62,000 employees. DeSantis can't win this.

Caption: 0-1 "internet lawyer" going for 0-2. :lol:
Probably. Luckily I never claimed to be a lawyer. Do you disagree that they'll appeal? Do you disagree that a Trump judge ruling in DeSantis favor is not at all surprising? Do you disagree that the claim that you can only pursue future lost damages (not ones from the past) and that there is no proof DeSantis did this as revenge (despite him literally saying that) is weird? Disney still got that **** you money and yes, I still think they eventually win.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:07 am

Just move disney world to Atlanta.

only for the reason that all those transplanted residents that moved to Florida so that they could be close to The Mouse would then move to ATL. I know some of those people. they scare me.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:11 am

Congratulations to desantis on his epic legal victory

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:21 am

Probably. Luckily I never claimed to be a lawyer. Do you disagree that they'll appeal? Do you disagree that a Trump judge ruling in DeSantis favor is not at all surprising? Do you disagree that the claim that you can only pursue future lost damages (not ones from the past) and that there is no proof DeSantis did this as revenge (despite him literally saying that) is weird? Disney still got that **** you money and yes, I still think they eventually win.

Will they appeal? Probably. Will they win? I don't think so.

The rule that a claim in federal court cannot seek past damages comes from the 11th Amendment and is literally black-letter law, so they aren't winning on that. And that DeSantis said things doesn't matter because under United States v. O'Brien, 391 U.S. 367 (1968) and In re Hubbard, 803 F.3d 1298 (11th Cir. 2015), courts cannot strike down an otherwise-constitutional statute on the basis of an alleged illicit legislative motive, and Disney did not argue that the First Amendment (or anything else) would preclude the Florida legislature from enacting the law that took away its special district in the absence of a retaliatory motivation. The outcome might be different, and outside statements might be relevant, if for example the statute in question did something to regulate race, or religion, or free speech, but it doesn't. See, e.g., Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye, Inc. v. Hialeah, 508 U.S. 520 (1993).*

* The case that might set the record for "least pronounceable SCOTUS case name."

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:29 pm

I realized by the number of robotexts that both the GOP and Demoncratic Party primaries are coming up in SC. In fact, the Demoncrats is Saturday.

But I have not seen a single Nikki Haley sign in my travels around town. Plenty of the orange clown's signs though. That's not a good sign for Haley obviously.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:43 pm

Oddly enough, I haven’t seen much in the way of trump signs beyond the ones that have been up since 2016 and just get replaced from time to time.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:03 pm

Will they appeal? Probably. Will they win? I don't think so.

The rule that a claim in federal court cannot seek past damages comes from the 11th Amendment and is literally black-letter law, so they aren't winning on that. And that DeSantis said things doesn't matter because under United States v. O'Brien, 391 U.S. 367 (1968) and In re Hubbard, 803 F.3d 1298 (11th Cir. 2015), courts cannot strike down an otherwise-constitutional statute on the basis of an alleged illicit legislative motive, and Disney did not argue that the First Amendment (or anything else) would preclude the Florida legislature from enacting the law that took away its special district in the absence of a retaliatory motivation. The outcome might be different, and outside statements might be relevant, if for example the statute in question did something to regulate race, or religion, or free speech, but it doesn't. See, e.g., Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye, Inc. v. Hialeah, 508 U.S. 520 (1993).*

* The case that might set the record for "least pronounceable SCOTUS case name."
I suppose it depends on what one means by 'win' in this scenario.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:36 pm

Yeah, what was this whole thing about? Not allowing gay people to dress up as cartoons? He sure proved that he's a hateful prick. BOOM BABY

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:51 pm

Black people in Star Wars too I think

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:56 pm

lol sadly if people cared about being hateful, he would not be governor

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:32 am

Eagle Pass border crisis.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:35 pm

Syria has entered the "find out" stage of their military operations.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:32 pm

I like it

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:37 pm

Really stupid. Only helps Trump

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/rcna136871
Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis on Friday acknowledged having a personal relationship with special prosecutor Nathan Wade as former President Donald Trump and another co-defendant have sought to get them disqualified from the Georgia election interference case.

In a 176-page filing, Willis seemed to respond to the allegations by stating that “any personal relationship among members of the prosecution team does not amount to a disqualifying conflict of interest or otherwise harm a criminal defendant.”

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:05 pm

No one expects police and prosecutors to be without fault or flaw. But..........................................................

................................ look, the charges amount to a perversion of public trust and abuse of power, and that falls into the ethics bucket imo. You can't - full stop cannot - be the lead and face of a prosecution of this kind against this defendant at this juncture in history unless you are buttoned up, squared away, and dogged-down tight. (No more nautical type phrases come to immediate mind) If you have anything remotely questionable going on and it's not disclosed at the outset.................. my god, how f**king dense and arrogant can a person be.

While this might not amount to a get-out-of-jail-free card on the charges, in the long run, it very much can (will?) derail things for the time being. This is irresponsibility of a very high order.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:37 pm

speaking of irresponsibility, a cop shot and killed a black guy, mistaking a sandwich for a gun

the cop didn’t have their bodycam on too

how the **** is turning off a bodycam while on duty legal?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bl ... rcna136712