Politics And Current Events

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:01 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com/austin- ... ess-2024-1
A guaranteed-basic-income program in Austin gave people $1,000 a month for a year.
On average, the participants reported spending most of the no-strings-attached cash on housing.
After a year, fewer participants said they were unable to afford to eat a balanced meal.
Multiple city-funded UBI programs demonstrate people spend the money on housing and food.

Those bastards are addicted to...being indoors and not dying of hunger.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:39 pm

I once got sh*t for photographing a HS senior with a US flag wrapped around her shoulders. People thought it was disrespecting the flag. I'd bet good money that every one of the people who whined about that voted for Trump.
How many of them also own something with a confederate flag on it? Talk about some disrespect!!!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:41 pm

And, yes. UBI is inevitable. Do that, provide medical care for all and get rid of all the middlemen for the programs and you’ll save in the long run.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:45 pm

A guaranteed-basic-income program in Austin gave people $1,000 a month for a year.
On average, the participants reported spending most of the no-strings-attached cash on housing.
After a year, fewer participants said they were unable to afford to eat a balanced meal.
Multiple city-funded UBI programs demonstrate people spend the money on housing and food.

Maybe that money on food and housing, but their other money is definitely spent on crack.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:45 pm

And, yes. UBI is inevitable. Do that, provide medical care for all and get rid of all the middlemen for the programs and you’ll save in the long run.
The healthcare always drives me up a wall. “I shouldn’t have to pay for someone else.” Well now you not only pay for others but also the bloated corporate salaries at the insurance companies on top of that. Certainly much better than a single payer system.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:49 pm

Maybe that money on food and housing, but their other money is definitely spent on crack.
So long is that's their own money. ;)

(I know this is the same argument that I use w/churches and tax exemption and appreciate it being turned around against me. :) )

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:55 pm

dodint circa 2024 has empathy. :fist:

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:25 pm

Hah. I've been pro-UBI for a while. My empathy is very selective.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:28 pm

And tattoos.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:08 pm

I think I have to root for the Chiefs now

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:30 pm

The Dilbert creator is wackier than I thought:

And the stats support what he said.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:32 pm

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:00 pm

The stats don't say women are "batshit crazy" or that democrat men are "pleasers". If you remember a certain someone in the Thread of Love complaining that conservative or neutral leaning men can't get a date, there's a good reason for it. The reason isn't that women are now going insane, it's that political leanings and their personality driven ideologies are now in the open, and they're sick of your bullshit. Left leaning males JUST might be that, left leaning, which is probably a single checker inserted in the connect-4 game of green flags a woman has before telling you yes or no.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:26 am

Imagine the conundrum for conservatives. Known voter and female Taylor Swift. Or.......... San Francisco.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:41 am

The stats don't say women are "batshit crazy" or that democrat men are "pleasers". If you remember a certain someone in the Thread of Love complaining that conservative or neutral leaning men can't get a date, there's a good reason for it. The reason isn't that women are now going insane, it's that political leanings and their personality driven ideologies are now in the open, and they're sick of your bullshit. Left leaning males JUST might be that, left leaning, which is probably a single checker inserted in the connect-4 game of green flags a woman has before telling you yes or no.
lol I think you’re referencing me and it’s a little bit of a bummer because I wasn’t “complaining”. Just something I anecdotally saw. But the fact that it was construed as me complaining, particularly when that was far from the truth, just sharing my experiences, especially with how vulnerable I had gotten about how difficult the modern dating market is, is disappointing

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:13 am

lol I think you’re referencing me and it’s a little bit of a bummer because I wasn’t “complaining”. Just something I anecdotally saw. But the fact that it was construed as me complaining, particularly when that was far from the truth, just sharing my experiences, especially with how vulnerable I had gotten about how difficult the modern dating market is, is disappointing
You can replace "complaining" with "anecdotally saw" then, because the main point is the way this twitter guy sees the problem, not the reason for what you were saying back then.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:48 am

That wasn’t the insane part of his post, or in dispute. The gender divide has been expanding since the republicans became the trump party (imagine that).

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:59 am

I think contrarianism is a big part of the extremely online, young maga type. They just reflexively hate her because so many people love her. So some of the first movers in that cog for cultural opinions are just the most annoying losers imaginable. So now you get the followers (Fox News, conservative commentators) stuck adopting these moronic arguments.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:26 am

It’s also funny when they try to claim that there’s a conspiracy or something. Like, what does that account think the “op” is? That people are pushing Taylor Swift? They’re right, it is very intentional. Because that’s how they think they’ll make money

you’d think republicans would understand the capitalistic strategy of selling your soul to make a buck

it’s also why them complaining about “diversity” in movies is hilarious. They all think it’s some global Jewish conspiracy to “weaken the white race” when in fact it’s just a lame pandering attempt to increase the demographics who could be interested in watching a movie

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:56 am

Have to also point to social media here. The incentive there is to just keep being more aggressively stupid. You don’t get attention for being the most “right” about something, you get attention for having the dumbest or most annoying opinions.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:58 am

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:16 am

I thought these people stopped watching football when players were kneeling?

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:17 am

This is also quite the read: https://apnews.com/article/prison-to-pl ... 4eadf08c4e

I had no idea...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:35 am

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:36 am

This is also quite the read: https://apnews.com/article/prison-to-pl ... 4eadf08c4e

I had no idea...
I'm reading this book called Chain-gang all-stars and this felt like a chapter from it