You know what really grinds my gears...

scb147

Postby scb147 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:52 am

I was on travel for work once, working graveyard shift. I would hang that DND sign on the door every day since I was sleeping from 6-7AM until 1-2PM. For the first couple days, same thing as you, knocking on the door from housekeeping around 10AM. I went down to the desk after the 2nd day of it and let them know, didn't happen again. However, on the 3rd day, the hotel fire alarm went off, waking me instead :lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:34 am

We once stayed aboard the RMS Queen Mary hotel during the Long Beach Grand Prix weekend. There was an overnight fire alarm, and during our egress we opened a hatch in the main passageway....... and we were met by a man with only half of his left arm, wearing nothing but tightly whities. He skipped through the bulkhead and scurried passed us, whereupon we noted the heavy skid marking in the aforesaid tightly whities. He made no sound, avoided eye contact, and disappeared into the night. So that's our Queen Mary ghost story.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:19 pm

Whoever decided to build houses with shitty copper pipes that can't handle the water delivered to them and **** leak all the goddamn time can suck a fat one.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:33 am

How old are those pipes? Copper doesn't last forever. I've had several pinhole leaks so far, and my house is around 70 years old, which is right around the life expectancy for copper. Probably going to have the house redone in PEX at some point, but even PEX has a lifespan of just 50 years or so.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:45 am

Whoever decided to build houses with shitty copper pipes that can't handle the water delivered to them and **** leak all the goddamn time can suck a fat one.
Shitty copper, or shitty plumbers who don't know how to solder properly? I would never go back to copper after using pex.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:34 am

It's the copper specifically. My friend's townhouse (i rented a room from him for 2 years before buying this one) had the same issue happen 2-3 times in that span.

Whoever built these townhome plans in the 80s used really cheap copper that does not interact well with the public water, causing pinhole leaks over time. I had a pinhole leak in the basement wall that must've only started within the last 2 weeks or so, but didn't notice until it got into the carpet down there, so now I get to make an insurance claim.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:05 am

Ahh, that's pretty bad then. Replacing all of the copper in a house is definitely not cheap.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:16 am

I'm converting our house to pex later this year. Can't wait.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:19 am

I'm crying inside a little just thinking of the drywall repairs.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:26 am

At least it's not plaster.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:46 am

Luckily the basement walls are wood paneled, and there doesn't appear to be drywall there.

Unfortunately for my carpet, the leak was in a spot where it wasn't really hitting the wall, so it only became noticeable once the carpet got wet.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:19 am

In my case there are no access issues either. Our house is a single level with a basement, so everything is already exposed for me to work on. The dummy that build the house ran the copper pipes under the basement slab, ensuring the water is nice a lukewarm when it travels all the way across the house to our shower. I'm going to fix that by moving the water heater closer to the bathroom and using a pex manifold.

scb147

Postby scb147 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:27 am

People who send Teams messages that should be sent via email. I just received a wall of text in multiple Teams messages, including pictures. I really want to reply with TL;DR

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:34 am

People who send Teams messages that should be sent via email. I just received a wall of text in multiple Teams messages, including pictures. I really want to reply with TL;DR
Thankfully I have never seen someone do this but I’m sure it’s a matter of time

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:11 am

Thankfully I have never seen someone do this but I’m sure it’s a matter of time
Whenever this happens, which is rare, I'll normally call them via Teams right after receiving it then ask that they get on camera. Maybe that's why it's rare. lol.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:46 pm

ok I'm gonna be that guy...why would you prefer it on email? Teams is not any worse of conveying a long message vs an email

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:57 pm

ok I'm gonna be that guy...why would you prefer it on email? Teams is not any worse of conveying a long message vs an email
Of course it is. Teams is a messaging platform meant for back and forth communication, normally solving quick and easy problems. There is also a different response time expectation with Teams which is normally much faster than the 24-48 hour email response expectation.

obhave

Postby obhave » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:01 pm

We exclusively use slack. No internal communication is done via email. The idea of having to split communication between systems would be very annoying to me.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:03 pm

Of course it is. Teams is a messaging platform meant for back and forth communication, normally solving quick and easy problems. There is also a different response time expectation with Teams which is normally much faster than the 24-48 hour email response expectation.
"normally" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there

people can use it however they want. personally I find email to be antiquated

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:06 pm

I think Teams also has either a character or word limit per message. I'm not sure if attachments are automatically stored/saved in the thread, and Teams might also fall out of an organization's document retention policy sooner than email. Because of this some organizations might prohibit certain comms via messaging, so by default if you get something substantive via Teams or Slack or whatever it's breaking policy.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:12 pm

I think of Teams like texting… quick response versus email.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:15 pm

Sure, use it how you want. That doesn't mean that using Teams for long messages with attachments is efficient or effective. It's definitely not the correct tool for that, especially if it's something that will need to be referenced in the future.

obhave

Postby obhave » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:20 pm

Sure, use it how you want. That doesn't mean that using Teams for long messages with attachments is efficient or effective. It's definitely not the correct tool for that, especially if it's something that will need to be referenced in the future.
How different is teams from slack? Because slack works efficiently for long messages, storing information, and search. It's much better than email for communication and tracking, regardless of message length. And it integrated well with different apps. I have never once thought "I'd rather this be an email".

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:22 pm

How different is teams from slack? Because slack works efficiently for long messages, storing information, and search. It's much better than email for communication and tracking, regardless of message length. And it integrated well with different apps. I have never once thought "I'd rather this be an email".
Teams and Slack both work fine for long messages and attachments, so I have no idea what these people are talking about. In fact, Teams does it better, given that SharePoint is used on the back end for documents, etc.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:25 pm

If it's in a personal message and not a channel, using Teams for long messages with attachments is dumb. Especially if it's somebody you message frequently. Sure, you can try to remember a keyword and search or go through a list of files to find what you need, but let's not pretend like that's an efficient way to work. You might prefer all of your communication in one place but again, that doesn't mean that it's the best tool for every form of communication.