Is it a slow work week for anyone else?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:01 pm

I have made 5500 posts here since March. It's been a slow 2015 for me.

(Had just over 14,000 posts at the other place since 2006...)

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:42 pm

That's how I got to 10k at the old place in 14 months. Stagnated work environment.

Glad I'm pacing myself now.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:31 am

I just started a new job 3 weeks ago. I guess realistically they didnt need me to start until the end of this month, but apparently if they didnt get me in the system by October 1st they wouldnt have been able to add me until mid-November. I dont get it, something about their sytem upgrades or what, I dunno. So its been real slow going so far. I have some things to do but the work that comes in at a snails pace. I've felt kind of awkward like and wish I was contributing more but my manager keeps apologizing and assuring me in the coming weeks it will get much much busier. So I guess I theres not much on my end I can do, I've been feeling kind of guilty about it, but its out of my hands. Its affected my wallet and diet a bunch too because I've found myself making unscheduled trips to the cafe and getting food just out of boredom.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:35 am

Actually, the week has gone fairly quickly for me. Which is unusual after a short work week.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:37 am

Definitely not slow, wasn't able to leave at 5 for the first two days of the week (pretty unusual)...we'll see how today goes...

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:38 am

Past couple of weeks have flown by, but mainly because I was setting up a test in the lab. Now that the test is running, it's pretty dull for me, thus a slower work week.

Cool thing is it's a destructive test, so I have that surprise waiting for me in a couple weeks. Wish I had some high speed cameras to film the failure.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:39 am

It's been slow for me for a few weeks now. I'm not used to this. :|

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:44 am

Can you share the realm in which you test things, robbie? Crash test dummies? Testing makeup on rabbits? Atom splitting?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:00 am

I put notice in, so yea it's pretty slow.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:09 am

Very slow.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:10 am

So slow

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:24 am

Fairly normal week.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:32 am

Can you share the realm in which you test things, robbie? Crash test dummies? Testing makeup on rabbits? Atom splitting?
Radon balloons and ships that sail on seas of cheese...

Seriously though, right now it's a rotary screw air compressor. Not the most awe inspiring thing, but it keeps me captivated enough.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:35 am

I actually find it interesting that people test these products...in the sense that, as a consumer, things - to me - just exist...they're either on the shelf or they're not...but the amount of people that work to put these things together and make sure they're effective products must be a pretty staggering number...considering how many things must die on the vine too...

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:59 am

I get that too mikey. Since I test relatively obscure products in the sense that nobody would think twice about what I do, I tend to view other things through a similar lens. I will wonder about the amount of time and work somebody had to put in to design a little switch that will turn on another switch that will activate some relay that will go into some software code that will make a traffic light turn green.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:55 am

One of my jobs when I was in the Marines was to record tests on new military equipment for Marine Corps Systems Command.

There is no more sad face than watching an engineer who spent 15 years of his life and millions of federal dollars designing something only to watch it explode (literally and figuratively) on the test floor.

Pavement

Postby Pavement » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:22 pm

Really busy at my work just now. I like it that way cos I get bored when it's quiet.

Glad it's almost Friday though.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Complete opposite of me. Just finished my second week at this new job (off tomorrow). I love it, but I had a ridiculous butt-ton of time to post on here prior to this job change. I'm sure that as I get more comfortable in my office, I'll start dipping my toes back in, but I haven't opened my browser to this page yet.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:07 pm

You do HR, shad? I don't recall...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:31 pm

You do HR, shad? I don't recall...
I am finally working internal HR as a corporate recruiter. I've wanted to get here for 9+ years, so pretty happy now. I am back in the office setting, however. It's a very relaxed, easy-going setting but I need at least a month until I feel comfortable firing up 5AF on the reg :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:20 am

One of my jobs when I was in the Marines was to record tests on new military equipment for Marine Corps Systems Command.

There is no more sad face than watching an engineer who spent 15 years of his life and millions of federal dollars designing something only to watch it explode (literally and figuratively) on the test floor.
We did this with Raytheon in 2008. We gave them $400M to develop an aviation command and control system. We took it out to the field in Yuma for WTI and it failed terribly. They fired Raytheon and rebooted the program without them and the system was fielded to the fleet in 2012. The lead rep from Raytheon was a total cheerleader for it, I can only assume he was let go or took a diminished role after that.

This post assumes my NDA has expired by now. If not, well, meh.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:01 am

We did this with Raytheon in 2008. We gave them $400M to develop an aviation command and control system. We took it out to the field in Yuma for WTI and it failed terribly. They fired Raytheon and rebooted the program without them and the system was fielded to the fleet in 2012. The lead rep from Raytheon was a total cheerleader for it, I can only assume he was let go or took a diminished role after that.

This post assumes my NDA has expired by now. If not, well, meh.
The primary one I have in mind is MarCorSysCom had given Jasper Transmissions a contract to design a transmission (obviously) and had someone (don't remember, but it was a big company) work on a design to put four-tracked wheels on a humvee, basically so you could drive a tracked humvee on uneven surfaces (snow, sand, etc...). It worked great on the uneven surfaces, but when it hit the hardball transmission explosion city. They probably went through 10 trannys before we all just left and went and got trashed with the engineers at a bar in Bridgewater, California. /hardlife

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:02 am

I did my testing in Yuma. :(

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:51 am

Well below my 4.5 posts/day habit at LGP. Which is ok.