Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:41 pm

A college football callout in the PDT. How very September 2020.
:shock:

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:02 pm

I think most Trump supporters support him because they think he will most effectively get done what they want done - lower taxes, less woke stuff, better SC justices. They also think that all politicians are corrupt and bad. I don't think Trump magically turned so many people into complete crazies and blind followers. They're just willing to overlook the bad parts to get the things they want. I base this on the people I know and interact with, so I could be completely wrong. So part of me gets where they're coming from. The bigger part of me can't understand how otherwise rational people can be willing to support something that's wrong in so many ways.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:09 pm

Hey Freddy, what's shakin, man?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:34 pm

I think most Trump supporters support him because they think he will most effectively get done what they want done - lower taxes, less woke stuff, better SC justices. They also think that all politicians are corrupt and bad. I don't think Trump magically turned so many people into complete crazies and blind followers. They're just willing to overlook the bad parts to get the things they want. I base this on the people I know and interact with, so I could be completely wrong. So part of me gets where they're coming from. The bigger part of me can't understand how otherwise rational people can be willing to support something that's wrong in so many ways.
This is so far beyond "overlook the bad parts" imo. It may have once been that for a number of people, but that time is passed; you don't get to the level of support he has within the party on the backs of people holding their nose. In 2016, maybe. But not today.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:36 pm

Hey Freddy, what's shakin, man?
Low and to the right.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:49 pm

This is so far beyond "overlook the bad parts" imo. It may have once been that for a number of people, but that time is passed; you don't get to the level of support he has within the party on the backs of people holding their nose. In 2016, maybe. But not today.
How many of us know crazy Trump supporters? I'm guessing it's a very low number, which is where I'm coming from. But like I said, maybe I'm wrong and maybe a solid portion of this country is absolutely nuts.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:53 pm

How many of us know crazy Trump supporters? I'm guessing it's a very low number, which is where I'm coming from. But like I said, maybe I'm wrong and maybe a solid portion of this country is absolutely nuts.
Supporting Trump is prima fascia evidence you are crazy.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:07 pm

I don't want to say every single person I know (family and friends) who still live in central PA, with the exception of my mom, is a dyed-in-the-wool MAGAite.......... but it's easily 95% of them. And that goes for the members of my extended family who have lived in Florida for coming up on 40 years.

S**t, that's a big reason why the concept of 'found family' is so vital to me, because the one I was issued at birth is almost completely brain f**ked.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:19 pm

I guess his Drain the Swamp, I'm an outsider and not a politician schtick is why he always polls so far ahead of every other Republican challenger who promises the same thing?

You'd think at this point that his stolen election bit would have made people realize he's also corrupt and immoral, just not in the same ways normal politicians are.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:29 pm

I guess my experiences are skewed because #somerset, but like 70% of the people I know are crazy Trump supporters. And that might be low. I'm not kidding, even a little.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:32 pm

Speaking of crazy political stories.

Feinstein should have been gone years - heck terms - ago. But I don't think the POA is necessarily a big deal. I'm POA for my mom and she's in fine mental health. I was POA for my dad before he died too.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:42 pm

POA's are often necessary, and in most cases are a good and helpful thing.

Being a Senator with one is a big deal though.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:48 pm

One of my friends from High School is a very sane, highly educated person, holds a Doctorate and is a college Professor, but also very Catholic and despite agreeing that Trump is a scumbag in every possible way, continues voting for him ("supporting" is probably too strong a word) due to Trump supporting policies and appointing judges who will rule in favor of the "sanctity of life."

He doesn't support him in primaries but in the general vs a Democrat who's pro choice, there's no option in his mind.

I don't know how you fix that.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:51 pm

Single issue voters can get ****.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:44 pm

You'd think at this point that his stolen election bit would have made people realize he's also corrupt and immoral, just not in the same ways normal politicians are.
It would if "the vast majority of Republicans in 2023 are by and large not crazy people" were an accurate assessment. Because in this context they are choking on Mugatu's crazy pills.

I'm not a huge fan of relying on any one poll, but the overall trend is very very clear: A significant majority of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents believe the 2020 election was illegitimate. The number varies poll to poll, but it has reliably been between 55% and nearly 70% for two years solid now. Some polling shows that number increasing with each indictment.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:49 pm

One of my friends from High School is a very sane, highly educated person, holds a Doctorate and is a college Professor, but also very Catholic and despite agreeing that Trump is a scumbag in every possible way, continues voting for him ("supporting" is probably too strong a word) due to Trump supporting policies and appointing judges who will rule in favor of the "sanctity of life."

He doesn't support him in primaries but in the general vs a Democrat who's pro choice, there's no option in his mind.

I don't know how you fix that.
You make abortion legal and unable to overturned ever again. **** your single issue vote.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:14 pm

My take of the last three pages:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:20 pm

My take of the last three pages:

Yet I always side with the GOP and was not at all alarmed by Trump during his presidency.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:49 pm

:lol:

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:10 pm

Yet I always side with the GOP and was not at all alarmed by Trump during his presidency.
http://www.fifthavenueforum.com/forum/v ... 3#p1166643

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:26 pm

Why are conservatives mad at the Barbie movie?
Ask MIMH :pop:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:29 pm

Rudy has some legacy now:
“Jewish men have small cocks because they can’t use them after they get married,” Giuliani said, according to the transcript. “Whereas the Italian use them all their lives so they get bigger.”

Giuliani railed against how Jewish people “want to go through that freaking Passover all the time” and how they should “get over the Passover” because it was 3,000 years ago. “OK, the Red Sea parted,” the transcript reads. “Big deal. Not the first time that happened.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 234799473/

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:44 pm

I'm having a hard time thinking of any political figure who has lost more public respect in terms of peak to bottom than Rudy Giuliani. He has utterly beclowned himself.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:21 pm

http://www.fifthavenueforum.com/forum/v ... 3#p1166643
So… they’re not equally bad because you’ve voted for republicans and never voted for dems?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:40 pm

I'm having a hard time thinking of any political figure who has lost more public respect in terms of peak to bottom than Rudy Giuliani. He has utterly beclowned himself.
it’s so weird growing up in New York (state) where he was beloved post 9/11 and now seeing him expose himself as a genuine dimwit and shithead. It’s quite cognitively dissonant