Job and General Employment Thread

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:53 pm

Go 'head to infinity, c2i :thumb:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:07 am

With all the new security IT measures they want us to use our personal smart phones for Duo Security for multifactor authentication. Lol absolutely not.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:10 am

MFA is a scourge.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:44 am

Since I'm cheap and my phone is a dinosaur I am unable to install the app, nice.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:51 am

Since I'm cheap and my phone is a dinosaur I am unable to install the app, nice.
Still rocking a flip phone?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:53 am

Samsung Galaxy S5 :thumb:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:26 am

So we're working on our departmental annual strategic plan, which ties into our unit (library) strategic plan, which ties into the University's strategic plan.

Fine, I've been doing this **** forever. It's more of a goals/objective planning document, rather than a long term, true strategic plan. We spent an hour in a meeting on it, we're supposed to work on it again on our own, and then reconvene for another hour to finalize it. It'll be typed up into a 3-4 page Word document and sent up the chain, never to be heard from or probably looked at again, until we revisit it next year.

As always, I get major "Lost Ark of the Covenant crated up and stored in a warehouse" vibes with these documents. A lot of work that no one really does anything with. Sure, we do the items on the document throughout the year, but there is no accountability on any of it. I doubt anyone above our department even knows 2/3 of what any of it means, and certainly no one outside of our unit has any idea what we do on a daily basis. Anyone else feel this way? This isn't germane to working for a big state school, as I had the same type of planning document working for the small failing private college.

There are a lot of days where I feel like I'm living in a simulation. :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:28 am

I was thinking about something similar last night. My job is 'important' but will have no lasting effect on anything. Everything in IT is cyclical, even cybersecurity, so there are very few legacy processes or artifacts of any kind.

Imagine if you worked at Microsoft and excelled at bringing the Zune to market.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:33 am

I loved my Zune(s), but I get your point. :lol:

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:02 pm

I just got a new job about 6 months ago (fully remote). I submitted my I9 documents virtually. Just got an email today that I need to go and have my documents verified in person because the federal exception is up. Anyone else have something similar happen?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:09 pm

I had to re do my I9 earlier this year and I've been with my company for 10+ years. I know it did it when I got hired, but I guess there was some audit and mine needed re-done. Had to go in person and verify documents and such. It was annoying but it was legit.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:07 pm

I just got a new job about 6 months ago (fully remote). I submitted my I9 documents virtually. Just got an email today that I need to go and have my documents verified in person because the federal exception is up. Anyone else have something similar happen?
My wife does I9s at work and says this is normal

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:24 pm

But the in-person component of that was suspended during COVID and was supposed to run through this summer afaik. ID documents were verified digitally for the last couple years.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:34 pm

Disclaimer: I use my wife's employer's healthcare. anyway

so my employer has a working spouse surcharge on healthcare (basically if you have health insurance AND cover your spouse, who is also eligible for coverage through their employer, you get charged a fee). If you attest that your spouse can NOT get coverage, you didn't get that fee charged. Now, my employer has contracted with a third party to 'oversee' this program. I cant help but think that they believe that tons of us are lying and think it's worthwhile to hire a third party to verify that those who attest their spouses do not work actually don't work. I think the fee is something like $125 a month. who's going to risk a career over $125 a month?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:01 pm

$125/month is insane. At my last place, it was $60.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:21 pm

so my employer has a working spouse surcharge on healthcare (basically if you have health insurance AND cover your spouse, who is also eligible for coverage through their employer, you get charged a fee). If you attest that your spouse can NOT get coverage, you didn't get that fee charged. Now, my employer has contracted with a third party to 'oversee' this program. I cant help but think that they believe that tons of us are lying and think it's worthwhile to hire a third party to verify that those who attest their spouses do not work actually don't work. I think the fee is something like $125 a month. who's going to risk a career over $125 a month?
Under the old regime where I work if you went on your wife's insurance they gave you $100 a month for not using their insurance.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:27 pm

Under the old regime where I work if you went on your wife's insurance they gave you $100 a month for not using their insurance.
We used to have that, but not anymore. That'd be pretty nice.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:01 pm

Several years ago if your spouse was covered by another employee, the spouse was unable to opt into our health insurance (previous you could). If you waive, you get $69 (nice) a month.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:13 am

It does baffle me that companies don't offer any kind of break for employees to not take their insurance. I know the more the merrier which results in better rates, but I'm sure that is offset quite a bit by not having to pay the premiums for that employee. I believe our company pays something like 70% of the premiums while we cover the other 30%. That's quite a bit of cayshe to be pocketing with no incentive for more employees to move that direction.

Our company uses $150/hr as a baseline for charging manufacturing time. I'm guessing the average salary for a union worker is closer to $25/hr, so if you took out margin, a good chunk of that $/hr rate is other benefits given to those employees.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:19 am

I love when I "get a new responsibility" then my boss dumps like 4 emails that are requests, provides no explanation, and I am just left to figure it out, knowing nothing about it. Dude, this sucks.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:57 pm

So found out today we are very likely going back to 3 days in the office starting Sept 1, and that a lot of the large companies in the area have talked about doing this together.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:33 pm

So found out today we are very likely going back to 3 days in the office starting Sept 1, and that a lot of the large companies in the area have talked about doing this together.
I don't even know where you work but the "a lot of large companies in the area" makes it sound ominous.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:40 pm

Because that’s what other C suite people are saying. “Everyone is going this route!” Our own leadership said this just this week. It’s all lying bullshit.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:49 pm

This is $100 but waived by my employer if you use the high deductible plan, which even if you hit max out of pocket is actually the better deal anyway.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:06 pm

I don't even know where you work but the "a lot of large companies in the area" makes it sound ominous.
They out here sayin