Politics And Current Events

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:55 pm

Where's dodint at to make fun of undecided voters
I'm not punching down anymore.
phew, I’m safe now

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:37 am

Vote Fetterman, he steps down, Gov appoints replacement, special election to permanently fill seat.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:46 am

On PredictIt, Oz gained 12% in the last 24 hours - from 53% to 65% chance of victory.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:35 am

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:04 am

I silenced Occupy Democrats years ago. Still delusional, apparently.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:28 am

As I’ve said before… I’ll vote for a brain dead Fetterman over that snake oil salesman.

Even if Oz wins, it’s nuts how the GOP shot themselves in the foot in so many races. All they had to do was not elect a psycho in the primary and they take the house, senate, and so much more.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:30 am

Still don't think Fetterman should have been up there, but if your takeaway from that debate was man who had stroke can't speak well, I guess I should vote for the draconian monster instead, then we are way more screwed than I thought we were. If this is your thought process, you should be hit in the face with a rubber mallet.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:48 am

As I’ve said before… I’ll vote for a brain dead Fetterman over that snake oil salesman.

Even if Oz wins, it’s nuts how the GOP shot themselves in the foot in so many races. All they had to do was not elect a psycho in the primary and they take the house, senate, and so much more.
More a commentary on the “mainstream” media.

Fetterman is still a sort of outsider to most, and he looks weird. So there are going to be plenty of stories like “not sure if ogre man understands the common tongue”.

So while nbc, cbs, nyt etc are running around with those stories, the gop is just letting that narrative run through while they just play racist ads about crime that run non stop and no “objective” news counters the untruths or examines fettermans actual record, or that hey, maybe it’s good that two innocent men got released from jail and are contributing to society on his campaign.

So, all just reinforces my priors on the center in this country. Just brain dead off of the largesse, no comprehension of history or a society outside their own, just the end of history notion that the end of the Cold War brought where we just envision the world as-is continuing forever. I think that’s why don’t look up was so prescient. Its not just about climate change, it’s politics as well. We’re watching a party that’s just saying outright that they are going to rig elections, and the news is just like “the republican pitch to end elections is playing well with a sizeable portion of the electorate”.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:50 am

Focusing on John Fetterman’s stroke recovery and not Oz’s statement that “woman’s reproductive decision should be made by a woman her doctor and her local political leaders” is on brand for totally undecided voters.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:56 am

That was creepy as hell.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:03 am

Make no mistake I'm still pulling the lever for Fetterman on Nov 8th. I just think his campaign did him no favors and overall he put himself in an awful light last night with people who are still on the fence. Those people are the ones who decide elections alot of the time.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:05 am

Folks, you don't need a mentally competent US Senator. Strom Thurmond served until he was 103, and I can tell you (from local GOP politicians at the time) that he was serving in name only for the last 2+ terms. His Chief of Staff and aides were basically running everything for him.

Also, be glad you got a US Senate debate. I don't SC has had one of those in years. The GOP candidates don't bother to respond to debate requests - why give the opponent free airtime?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:18 am

Washington Post really outdoing the field here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... overnment/
Fetterman largely quit going to council meetings altogether. He began effectively using his nonprofit, Braddock Redux — bankrolled in part by his family -- as his own shadow government to try to implement his vision of a revitalized Rust Belt community of artists and other urban homesteaders. Over Fetterman’s 13-year tenure as mayor, the private group helped launch a “Free Store” that gives away donated goods, affordable housing for artists and a youth-oriented community center. Many residents of the majority Black town of 1,700 embraced Fetterman; he was reelected three times. And his nonprofit work helped foster the folk-hero narrative that later propelled him to lieutenant governor and now, Democratic nominee for U.S. Senate.

But some in Braddock viewed the White mayor working through a nonprofit with an all-White board as circumventing public debate and input from the town’s democratically elected representatives. Instead of trying to reform what he saw as a broken government, Fetterman worked around it.

“You’ve got to learn how to work with people who don’t like you,” said Chardaé Jones, a Braddock native who was appointed by the council to succeed Fetterman as interim mayor in 2019 when he became lieutenant governor. “That’s part of being in government.
"some" being the corrupt officials he circumvented

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:22 am

lol Fetterman treated it like a corporate job. There's roadblocks everywhere, people don't like when you game the system to get things done, but it's necessary.

Also - sucks he debated, because I think that cemented his loss.

Oz saying local politicians should have a say in abortions along with patient and doctor, should be the focus for a lot of women, we'll see. As a doctor saying that, it's extremist.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:26 am

Cool

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:36 am

Also, be glad you got a US Senate debate. I don't SC has had one of those in years. The GOP candidates don't bother to respond to debate requests - why give the opponent free airtime?
I am not glad.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:40 am

My "local politicians" can't even ensure my trash actually gets picked up on Tuesdays. Now they're supposed to have a say in abortions? What else should I consult them about?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:06 am

"Fetterman struggled to speak well, so I'm voting for Oz" -people who were dropped on their head as a kid

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:32 am

"Fetterman struggled to speak well, so I'm voting for Oz" -people who were dropped on their head as a kid
Fetterman can't speak well, but I'll vote for trump again.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:36 am

lol, yeah. It was all political theater. Voting for the piece of **** over a guy who can't respond to peppered questions in 15 seconds says enough, and then pretending that this debate swayed you... GTFO with that nonsense.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:40 am

I think it's completely justified to think twice about Fetterman's capability to handle the job. Additionally, those who discount the person in favor of the party's positions or treat him as a figure head are exercising the same judgement as those who vote for Trump despite him being a garbage human who is incapable of empathy simply because they like low taxes and guns.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:42 am

Based on him speaking? While in recovery from a stroke? You'd think the guy was on his death bed and it was only going to get worse based on some comments.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:44 am

Devil's advocate, it may not get better for him either. There's a good chance that you're voting for D - knowing he may get replaced in his run regardless.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:51 am

As usual it’s voting for the least bad of the two. As a person who went through fertility issues with my wife, restricting or eliminating medical procedures that would have an effect of my personal family decisions is ultimately where my vote goes. Both Mastriano and Oz want to inject their politics into your personal family decisions.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:52 am

its not unrealistic to expect some aphasia after a stroke; however, looking through the speech deficits he is still recovering from, from the things i saw on youtube, fetterman struggled to logically respond to questions and articulate a thoughtful response to questions and counterpoints. that is the thing thats alarming to me