Politics And Current Events

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:21 pm

They’re democrats, yea?
And if you're not happy with their performance vote for the other party.
Don’t be silly. I’ll at least vote for the people who say they’ll do what I want vs the people who actually do the exact opposite.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:34 pm

I don't think these people switching from D to R are doing so because the democrats aren't being liberal enough

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:35 pm

Demoncrats
Hillary Tease.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:04 pm

heh

I think I said it in the tennis thread, but a much older friend of ours is a recently retired advertising executive. Met and worked with a lot of famous people. Spent years directing the Michael Jordan Hanes advertising campaign. One of their biggest accounts was player promo work for the WTA. Said Djokovic was the biggest dadhole he ever had to deal with.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:29 pm

I don't think these people switching from D to R are doing so because the democrats aren't being liberal enough
I think Democrats aren’t being progressive enough for progressives and are being too progressive for moderates. The moderates will vote Republican, the progressives will vote independent or just stay home.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:10 pm

Gaetz girlfriend granted immunity in sex-traffic case.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:13 pm

I think Democrats aren’t being progressive enough for progressives and are being too progressive for moderates. The moderates will vote Republican, the progressives will vote independent or just stay home.
Yup. The issue isn’t people changing from dem to gop, the issue is people just not voting. The dnc is that boring.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:14 pm

It's no different on the Republican side either. The divide within parties is so broad that the system doesn't even make sense anymore. Yet, it will stay status quo the rest of my life, I can say with confidence. No incentive for those in power to change it.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:16 pm

It's no different on the Republican side either. The divide within parties is so broad that the system doesn't even make sense anymore. Yet, it will stay status quo the rest of my life, I can say with confidence. No incentive for those in power to change it.
Well, the biggest difference imo is republicans show up to vote regardless.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:20 pm

I guess historically. Not sure that will be the case if Trump runs. Personally, I'm unlikely to cast any further ballots for congress or president. I want no part of it unless something changes

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:24 pm

I’m right there with you, KC. I don't see any point in voting for those offices any longer.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:14 pm

I have a weird feeling that if Trump runs again, I could see him either running away with it - or losing in a landslide. There's seemingly no in-between.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:36 pm

Unless the democrats actually do something, GOP easily wins mid terms and Trump takes back the WH.

I don’t see Biden beating anybody in 2024.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:40 pm

I'll vote for anybody that's under 70 in 2024.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:59 pm

I'll vote for anybody that's under 70 in 2024.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:02 pm

I have a weird feeling that if Trump runs again, I could see him either running away with it - or losing in a landslide. There's seemingly no in-between.
You mean loses by the Democrats stealing the election :slug:

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:13 pm

heh

He may be a dadhole, but he's got a point here. Djokovic had Covid last month. And as we are learning more and more every day, while the vaccines absolutely reduce the severity of infection, they are not effective at preventing Omicron.

There's no reason to keep Djokovic out of any country or any event other than a desire to punish him for his views. Throwing him out of Australia certainly ain't protecting anyone against Covid.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:16 pm

Or those are the rules that the country has set for entry and he shouldn’t get an exemption just because he’s a famous athlete.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:28 pm

That, and he lied on his visa application.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:33 pm

I concede the rules are the rules. I'm saying the rules are stupid.

Australia's "zero Covid" efforts went out the window with Omicron. According to Worldometers, more than a million Aussies have Covid right now; that's approximately 1 in every 26 persons in the country. Daily positives have been above 10,000 per day since the end of December, and have been above 50,000 per day for more than a week. Yesterday Australia was 15th in the world for new cases per 1 million persons; two days ago it was 9th. On both days it was way ahead of the United States on that metric.

Australia is getting the Omicron wave just like every other country, and there's bugger-all they can do to stop it. Vaccines lessen the severity of Omicron, but don't stop infections. Australia's closed-border policy at this point is pants-on-backwards stupid. The horse isn't just out of the barn, it jumped the fence, knocked down the front door, and is now standing in the kitchen.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:50 pm

Or those are the rules that the country has set for entry and he shouldn’t get an exemption just because he’s a famous athlete.
:thumb:

He's looking for special treatment. I don't follow tennis but **** this guy.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:18 pm

Djokovic didn’t want to follow the rules, he lied on his application, and he proved he doesn’t care about the safety of others when he had a positive test and the next day hosted children at his tennis camp. **** that guy. Disagree with Australia’s approach all you want but it’s not some ploy to punish Djokovic.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:06 am

Djokovic's "point" is that he's super vested in making sure the world knows he's an dadhole.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:13 am

It's absolutely an effort to punish Djokovic. It may be an effort to punish him for lying on the application, or to punish him for "not caring about the safety of others," or to punish him for trying to enter the country without being vaccinated. What the effort is absolutely not doing, however, is preventing the spread of SARS-CoV-2 or protecting anyone in Australia from getting Covid-19. And those goals are the whole reason the border controls exist in the first place.

I'm not saying Djokovic isn't a ******. But I will absolutely criticize the Australian government for continuing to enforce a law that has been mooted by real-world events.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:30 am

And there is no question that the decision to deport him was driven by his vaccination status and views. Lawyers for Australia’s immigration minister, Alex Hawke, specifically argued in court that allowing Djokovic to remain could encourage anti-vaccination sentiment in the country. Prime Minister Scott Morrison released a statement saying, “Strong borders are fundamental to the Australian way of life as is the rule of law. Our government has always understood this and has been prepared to take the decisions and actions necessary to protect the integrity of our borders.” (No mention there of the fact that Australia—just like everyone else—is getting swamped by Omicron despite their "strong borders.") And opposition member Kristina Keneally, the shadow immigration minister, said Djokovic was being deported for what he said and did publicly overseas before the government gave him a visa in November. This is absolutely about punishing Djokovic for being anti-vax.