Meow's Morning Meeting - 3-26-15 vs. CAR

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:10 am

Morning Yinz.

Rough one, eh? I don't really think the score was indicative of how play went. A bunch of the Pens are slotted improperly. Winnik on the top line is wrong, but needed. Pouliot is playing too many minutes and not sheltered enough minutes. Comeau is like a fish out of water. It's tough sledding right now. Three pretty big pieces are out of the lineup with Malkin, Hornqvist, and Ehrhoff sidelined.

A few X's and O's I noticed. The wingers are far too high on the breakouts, probably cheating a bit to try and jumpstart the offense. Puck retrieval on dump-ins is getting predicable and teams are jumping it. Too many one and done chances offensively - usually points to a lack of net drive or poor initial shot selections. The powerplay is pretty much a waste of 2 minutes of my life.

Hopefully they can get some healthy bodies back in the lineup against the 'Yotes.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:16 am

Just a poor outing. I jinxed it before the game by telling pops they would crunch the weak canes. Forever optimistic though. :slug:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:18 am

I really thought they outplayed them in the first period... I will admit, I ignored the game after that as I had a few too many beers and got bored with it, but they played well in the first, just gave up too many good chances and didn't capitalize on their own.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:20 am

I hate Rob Scuderi. I've always hated Rob Scuderi. I was happy when he left. I was angry when he came back. I hate how he constantly leaves his feet. I hate that he thinks he's a goalie. I hate that he's not physical. I hate the way he backs into his goalie. I hate that he's incapable of clearing the crease. I hate that he has no puck skills. I hate that I have to watch him for two more seasons. I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him.

meow

Postby meow » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:23 am

So...you don't like Scuderi...?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:26 am

We have gotten away from some of the things that made us look good early on...some of the elements founded in Soviet transition offense...we are now a little too Canadian-lane-hockey in our entries I feel like...puck support triangles have become too spaced out or non-existent and it's been problematic for sustained offense and quality chances I think...

The bad players have been particularly bad, which makes it suck even more. As a lot of players had good starts to the season, a good first half...I find it odd that now, game 74, we're almost caught in between philosophies...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:27 am

His stupidity on St. Louis' second goal and his horrific turnover on Carolina's first goal have caused me to reach my breaking point.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:37 am

We have gotten away from some of the things that made us look good early on...some of the elements founded in Soviet transition offense...we are now a little too Canadian-lane-hockey in our entries I feel like...puck support triangles have become too spaced out or non-existent and it's been problematic for sustained offense and quality chances I think...
I wondered about this too. It seemed so clear early on that they were relying on close puck support and quick, shorter passes in transition. As the season has gone on, things seem to have morphed back into Bylsma-era longer passes and more space between players. I didn't know if this was intentional, players just reverting to what they were more familiar with when things got tough, or a response to more clutch-and-grab being allowed.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:39 am

His stupidity on St. Louis' second goal and his horrific turnover on Carolina's first goal have caused me to reach my breaking point.
I'm not one to bash Scuderi, he has had some good games this season. But lately he's been consistently horrible. And lately includes before Despres was traded.

It's obvious he's tiring, and given his age and limited skill set, that spells disaster.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:47 am

I worked late and missed the game. Seems like work may have been more enjoyable

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:52 am

I worked till 8. Turned the game on it was 3-1. Promptly turned it off. Good decision on my part.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:53 am

Love the thread title. It will be a staple...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:28 am

We controlled the play for the first period and a half but just couldn't convert anything.

the fact that we haven't come back from a third period deficit is entirely alarming though.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:34 am

Missed the game entirely, but it's refreshing to come here and know I'll get actual reviews for the game instead of the hate-mongering I'm used to seeing.

Other than that Scuderi post up there. Which is fine, he's been doodoo for a month or two now.

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:06 am

I try to not get worked up when the team isn't 100% healthy. You add Malkin and Hornqvist to the line-up and this game is completely different.

Also, Cam Ward was channeling 2006 Cam Ward last night.

She'sTheFastest

Postby She'sTheFastest » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:31 am

I try to not get worked up when the team isn't 100% healthy. You add Malkin and Hornqvist to the line-up and this game is completely different.

Also, Cam Ward was channeling 2006 Cam Ward last night.
I am this way too. Hopefully their impact is big enough to add up to something meaningful.

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:36 am

A few X's and O's I noticed. The wingers are far too high on the breakouts, probably cheating a bit to try and jumpstart the offense. Puck retrieval on dump-ins is getting predicable and teams are jumping it. Too many one and done chances offensively - usually points to a lack of net drive or poor initial shot selections. The powerplay is pretty much a waste of 2 minutes of my life.

Hopefully they can get some healthy bodies back in the lineup against the 'Yotes.
Every one of those is exactly what happens every year when machine goes klunk.

The coaches don't coach those things to happen, the players just seemingly stop being able to play hockey the right way.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:39 am

Last night was a perfect example of why I dislike Letang. On their 3rd goal, Letang is ahead of our forwards in the offensive zone. He turns the puck over, the Canes counter and he dogs it back. You have a forward now covering for him on a 3-2. The Canes go tick-tac-toe and have a tap in goal. Letang in my eyes will always be a liability beecause of his poor decision making and him concentrating more on his offense than his defensive responsibilites. I think he is a selfish player and shouldnt even be considered for a Norris trophy.

If we had the bodies I would sit him and Kunitz.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:42 am

The coaches don't coach those things to happen, the players just seemingly stop being able to play hockey the right way.
My X's and O's rant: I hate, hate, hate it when we gain the offensive zone and the player with the puck stops at the blue line and tries a lateral pass into pressure. I saw Bennett do it 5 times last night.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:44 am

To be fair, he turned the puck over like 6 times trying to skate it in on his own.

meow

Postby meow » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:47 am

The easy response to this is that it is hard to play it by the book for 82 regular season games. It's more of a reason than an excuse. No doubt that it is the chief reason for the postseason flounders - getting away from the successful way of playing; whatever that may be.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:55 am

To be fair, he turned the puck over like 6 times trying to skate it in on his own.
Letang?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:56 am

No, Bennett. You were referring to him in the post immediately before mine.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Regarding Scuderi... he is definitely waning, but he is just a piece (some say the piece) of the greater problem of the Pens as a whole. Madden & Yohe were talking about the Pens yesterday, & they were discussing the Pens' lack of identity. I kinda scoffed at it, but it seemed to show last night. They're pushing, they're trying, but... it seems they're just trying without knowing what they're trying to do. The first period was alright (they outshot the Canes 14-7), but in standard Pens' fashion they still ended up down 2-1 within 10 minutes. After this, they just kept pushing and making desperate attempts, whereas the Canes seemed to coolly counter-punch for max effectiveness.

I've been waiting for them to shake this massive slump for several weeks now. Maybe they're just not going to shake it this year... or maybe it'll change with a flash. Who knows?

Re: Letang, I still think he's Norris-worthy. However, I think he - like the rest of the Pens right now - is trying too hard & hoping for his athletic skill to carry the play. Letang (to me) is not the smartest player, and he has a penchant to push too far & be too aggressive, overly relying on his athleticism to make up for mistakes. He is a sound defensive player, but is also emotional & can be pushed off his game. Again, last night was kinda an example of the negatives in Letang's game (as was for most).

Crosby played great, again. However, we're finding out that he cannot carry this team alone. Winnik also played very well, but he's a great 3rd-liner, not a 1st liner. I didn't expect Perron to be this absurdly streaky - he's almost as snakebit as Kunitz (who I thought played well). However, that gives a silver lining, as perhaps he'll suddenly get over the hump at any moment. The only defensive positive was Cole, I think. Pouliot was a neutral (making plays, but also making rookie mistakes).

Pretty weak effort by Fleury last night. But meh, it's not like the team really gave him a chance in the end.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:44 pm

I forgot Avyran can talk hockey... I'm used to gifs only. :lol: