What's Up With The Penguins Fanbase Support?

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:37 pm

Watching the games the past week, it seems either the Pens fanbase is eroding or is a lot smaller than I thought or I'm going crazy.

First, they play in Minnesota....and it seems there's maybe a few hundred Pens fans there, tops.
Then last night they play the Leafs at home, and I haven't seen or heard this many Leafs fans in Pittsburgh in a decade.

Tonight, in Detroit, the Pens tie it at 2...and it sounds like the Caps are in Pit it's so quiet.
You know back in 2009 there were tons of Pens fans at game 7. Heck it's closer to Pit than Toronto and an easier ticket than Pit.

Wasn't that long ago we were the Stillerz of hockey with invading fans everywhere and nobody penetrating the home arena.

We finish 8th one season, have a struggle the first half this season, while still having cup expectations And more stars with Kessel....and this is the response?

We have marginal support in Detroit and Toronto...two nearby cities easy to invade...and get a surge in visiting Leafs fans?

Where we just never as popular a base as thought or the bandwagon THAT easy to jump off????

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:24 pm

I think the key word is expectation, as you said. This team has had cup or bust expectations for the past five years, if not longer. And for 5+ years, they've disappointed and fell short of said expectations. They have the "best" American (Canada & US) player in Crosby, and arguably the best European (including Russia) player in Malkin. They've traded for great players in the past as well: Neal, Iginla, Brendan Morrow, and now Kessel. This year, they're disappointing much earlier in the season than they usually do, being near the bottom of the standings (currently 11th in the east). Their team, which is stacked offensively, is currently 28th in scoring.

It is not as if they are losing to "better teams" either. You can say that New York last year & Tampa in 2011, they lost largely due to injury. However, losing to Jaroslav Halak in 2010, the Flyers in 2012, getting shut out by the Bruins in 2013, and again by the Rangers (in 2014)... how much fun were those to watch? Defensive system, defensive system, defensive system... oh, and a bunch of thuggery in the Flyers. They've lost because they've been outworked, out-interfered, and out-defensed.

Combine that with the constantly growing ticket prices (shutout streak!!!1!) and the business-like affair of the CEC now. Are games fun to go to anymore in Pittsburgh? I'm not sure; the last game that I went to was the Blue Jackets series a couple years ago. Iceburgh has to constantly upstart the crowd into cheering with his stupid airhorn.

Tim Howard (in his book) talked about the players of Manchester United playing in order not to lose because of the great expectations upon them. I'd argue that the current Pens are very similar to United because they have so many stars. The fans of this franchise have been given amazing stars to watch, and have seen those stars beaten down by the league for many years. Familiarity breeds contempt, & being lavished in gifts can bring being spoiled.

There was a good bit of discussion about yesterday's atmosphere due to Matt Murray, and I'd argue this came partially because he was something fresh. It was an unexpected joy to see the young guy flourish. Previously, it was Derrick Pouliot last year, and he didn't make it out of preseason this time. Maatta before him two years ago, and he had to fight off cancer. Bennett before him, and he exemplifies the injuries. Etc etc. It's been a lot of the same for a long time (by sports standards), and it's just becoming joyless to watch the Pens. Combine that with the downturn of the league and its ridiculously stupid officiating, and... well... I have better things to do than watch hockey or spend $$ on it. Lots of folks saying similarly, I think. Netwolf, for instance, said yesterday on Twitter...
Stuff like this (Komarov's boarding of Letang) makes me curse the day I got into hockey. Way too much time invested in the Pens to quit them now, but games drive me nuts.
I used to be a certifiable hockey nut. Would consume any kind of hockey any way I could. Hockey, hockey, hockey.
Now, all I watch are Pens games, and I spend way too much time yelling at the TV b/c of this kind of garbage.
I hope I'm wrong, but it's just what I've been noticing for the past couple years / months.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Source of the post First, they play in Minnesota....and it seems there's maybe a few hundred Pens fans there, tops.
There were plenty of Pens fans at Xcel. It wasn't like when we overtake PNC Arena or anything, but there were a healthy number of fans there and that game was the Wilds highest attended game so far this season. I was really surprised how many showed up in blue Pens jerseys, maybe that's why they didn't stand out. We purposely wore early-90s gold jerseys for the contrast. I actually saw someone wearing the mid-90 3rd 'pajama' jersey.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:36 pm

Ebb and flow of an organization. In other words: nothing to see here.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:13 pm

:pop:

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:29 pm

Most, if not all, of dw's premises are wrong.

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:52 pm

Source of the post First, they play in Minnesota....and it seems there's maybe a few hundred Pens fans there, tops.
There were plenty of Pens fans at Xcel. It wasn't like when we overtake PNC Arena or anything, but there were a healthy number of fans there and that game was the Wilds highest attended game so far this season. I was really surprised how many showed up in blue Pens jerseys, maybe that's why they didn't stand out. We purposely wore early-90s gold jerseys for the contrast. I actually saw someone wearing the mid-90 3rd 'pajama' jersey.
You were there?

Very disappointed in tonight's turn out-I wonder though if it being New Year's Eve factored?

Avaryn-great post. I have NHL GCL and myself have gotten bored watching hockey this year and at times angry at the constant cheap shot hits that go unpunished.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:06 pm

My wife and I were there, yeah.

@count2infinity

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:12 pm

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:12 pm

My wife and I were there, yeah.

@count2infinity
Yeh on TV it seemed pretty low for the Pens-less than Boston or Montreal.
What would you say the % was? How did it compare to other trips?

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:14 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:18 pm

First game at Xcel so I couldn't tell you. It was a lot lower than Pens fan presence at PNC Arena, but it's Minnesota so what can you really expect? I don't know, 20-25% tops.

Wild fans are super polite, really enjoyed the trip.