meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pens Regular Season discussion

Postby meow » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Kris Russell is a UFA? Love me some Kris Russell

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:55 pm

I also like Kris Russell. Not sure if he's the answer for us, but he does belong in the NHL certainly. Great skater, just a brilliant skater, intelligent, blocks a ton of shots, capable at moving the puck.

My guess is that Jarry isn't enough for him...but if they wanted to go down that road with Gillies out, I certainly would entertain Jarry and a mid-level pick...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:48 pm

I still have no idea what to make of this team... am I the only one?
Id go with "treading water"

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:53 pm

4-1-2 in our last 7...and I think we have a power play goal in each of those games...scoring about pi per game...

Certainly checking off some boxes on this board...at least starting to...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:11 pm

I think we've improved markedly since the beginning of the season. We're third in the division...that's significant I think

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:14 pm

If it's Campbell, then I would just rather go with Pouliot...

I wonder if Jarry brings back a 3rd anywhere...take that and combine it with a 2017 1st and move it for Hamhuis if we're gonna seriously make a run...I wince at that too...but we're gonna need D help or we're going nowhere...

Memory may fail me but I think we have an extra 2 from Anaheim (Sutter trade with Vancouver and maybe two extra threes)...we got Sprong at 46, the extra top 90 picks allows for some upward mobility...I don't know, just thinking aloud...
Is there any scenario that you can think of which we can improve the defense in the way you want WITHOUT giving up yet another first rounder?

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:53 pm

In the way I want...? Unlikely. I'm not on these phones, so maybe I don't know every market value. But we need what everyone wants and we don't have what everyone needs. We're in a pickle. It's a negligent retention case waiting to happen if we go into the playoffs with this defense...it's grounds for a lawsuit for sure. But, we've hawked our first round pick for a snapshot ace. Many people here think Scuderi doesn't belong in the NHL - he's on the top pair. Ian Cole is showing himself out of the league - he was who Scuderi replaced on the top pair. Warsofsky and Clendening, fringe NHLers, have given the slim hope that the word "fringe" can be removed from that equation and they can be a ray of light in terms of puck skills on the back end.

"Top-heavy" works with defense a lot better than forwards (Chicago...2010 Philadelphia...etc.) but Maatta is Martin Straka circa 2002 (is that when the gym equipment machine failed him and knocked him out of the lineup for weeks...?) and Letang - who has drawn the short straw in terms of LD partners - has not been particularly astute when he is free of them (such as on the PP)...coming off a Norris caliber season, that's been a void for us overall.

You can try and patch this up with some "upside" grabs and see where it goes...maybe Zach Redmond from Colorado, Jake Gardiner from Toronto, David Rundblad from Chicago...maybe...probably wouldn't cost you a ton at this point...maybe...particularly Redmond...

You can buy a big contract like Wideman, Byfuglien or Yandle but none of those guys play a lick of defense and still might cost you a 1st anyhow...

JR will probably just add some old useless goat like Dan Boyle or Marek Zidlicky for a 3rd though and go back to sleep...

Look at the defense Carolina has had over the past few years...he just goes around just gutting the spinal column of a team...whether it be intentional or circumstantial, we need some help, man...

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:23 am

I'd gamble on Tinordi if the price is workable.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:40 am

The price would almost be nothing at this point...no upside, physical d-man...I doubt we could justify playing him over Ian Cole...

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:35 am

Do we have enough depth at forward (or defense) to enable selling high at the trade deadline?

My impression is that prices sky rocket approaching the deadline and that it would be beneficial to sell something then. One example is Douglas Murray to us (for two second round draft picks I believe). I got the impression that Sharks did not miss him that much during that playoffs and that they got two seconds richer.

I guess that an organization could get a somewhat tarnished reputation by loading up on cheap veterans during the summer and then unloading some of them at the deadline. But it could restore draft picks without costing much. And I am not sure how disappointed a player is if he is traded to a playoff team and gets a shot a cup, even though it is not for the pens...

What would Perron, Cullen or Lovejoy (all pending UFA's) fetch at the deadline I wonder.

I know that we would like the team to go far in the playoffs, but how large is the drop off in quality from Lovejoy to let's say Clendering or Andersen? Of course, we would need to receieve something more than a bag off pucks to make it worth it to weaken our team.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:53 am

I'd remove Cullen from that group, personally. He's the kind of guy you're going to rely heavily on in the playoffs.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:30 am

I'd remove Cullen from that group, personally. He's the kind of guy you're going to rely heavily on in the playoffs.
I get your point, but I would still explore the market for him. But I agree that he probably returns a lower valued asset than what he potentielly could contribute in the playoffs...

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:38 am

I'd gamble on Tinordi if the price is workable.
Not wearing my glasses and read this as Tangradi.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:24 am

Perron is the only one that would have value that would make it worth it. And even so, you're going into the playoffs and giving away a top six forward...I mean, maybe, but Perron is the only guy...but he has been hot of late with Kessel and Malkin, the LW of Malkin's line has been a particularly tough spot to fill over the years...we'll see...

Cullen wouldn't get a 2nd even, neither would Lovejoy...rather have them...because you gotta liquidate the asset and then move the contents for/towards a d-man...that's why I suggested doing it with Jarry and maybe Scott Wilson if he's gaining value...see if Jarry and Wilson do anything for anyone, or, unconventionally, net a draft pick or two and then use that to steal away a player from a loser...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:28 am

Perron is the only one that would have value that would make it worth it. And even so, you're going into the playoffs and giving away a top six forward...I mean, maybe, but Perron is the only guy...but he has been hot of late with Kessel and Malkin, the LW of Malkin's line has been a particularly tough spot to fill over the years...we'll see...

Cullen wouldn't get a 2nd even, neither would Lovejoy...rather have them...because you gotta liquidate the asset and then move the contents for/towards a d-man...that's why I suggested doing it with Jarry and maybe Scott Wilson if he's gaining value...see if Jarry and Wilson do anything for anyone, or, unconventionally, net a draft pick or two and then use that to steal away a player from a loser...
I would gladly part ways with Perron if the return were a top 4 defenseman (preferably top pairing), but given the fact that it's a contract year for him, I think that's a pipe dream, unless we're also getting a guy in a contract year.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:38 am

Right. That's what I mean, Perron doesn't have much value to a team that isn't a contender. Contenders don't normally give up top four d-men at the deadline. So you have to liquidate Perron, get the picks (say we get a 2 and a 4 for him) and then pair them up with like a Wilson or a Jarry (or bank the 4 and use an extra 2)...so you go to Vancouver and say, "hey we don't have a 1 you're looking for, but we have two 2's in 2016 and Tristan Jarry for Hamhuis" or something along those lines...

But you have to make that work, it's tough on deadline day to do that...you could get caught with your pants down...you trade Perron, then Vancouver goes, "eh, all of a sudden New York ponied up the #1 and Petrov, we're gonna go there with Hamhuis unless you can beat it..." so then you look like an idiot moving a top-six forward for picks at a deadline before going into the playoffs...all you did is make the team worse...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:40 am

I sure as hell hope that trading a body for picks is off the table, unless we're talking a top 5 pick.

beachboy76

Postby beachboy76 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Tihkonov on waivers today. Wake up GMJR.

Solidsnake

Postby Solidsnake » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Wasn't he suspose to be better than Plotnikov?

beachboy76

Postby beachboy76 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Wasn't he suspose to be better than Plotnikov?
I only posted that because there was such a strong rumor that he was coming here. He's a bottom 6 guy which we're clearly short on. :lol:

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:58 pm

He's just not that good...not worth a claim from any relevant team unless a new injury springs up...he would be really good in Finland, fits his style more...or, I guess in his case, the AHL...also a style fit...

Got a quick look with Toews and Hossa, couldn't finish there...so he's out...

beachboy76

Postby beachboy76 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:03 pm

He's just not that good...not worth a claim from any relevant team unless a new injury springs up...he would be really good in Finland, fits his style more...or, I guess in his case, the AHL...also a style fit...

Got a quick look with Toews and Hossa, couldn't finish there...so he's out...
To be fair, Hossa can't seem to finish there this year either lol

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Oh wow, didn't realize that...he hasn't been quite as noticeable in Blackhawks games I've seen this year, but 10 in 23 is not so hot...I had no idea...

beachboy76

Postby beachboy76 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:09 pm

Oh wow, didn't realize that...he hasn't been quite as noticeable in Blackhawks games I've seen this year, but 10 in 23 is not so hot...I had no idea...
I took him in a Goals Pool this year, I've been quite aware!

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:24 pm

Crosby has inched up to being tied for 75th in points.
Top 30 by the end of the season?