Should we be excited about our young goalies yet?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:40 am

I think it's been well documented how amazing Matt Murray has been in the AHL this year. Setting all kinds of records, but Tristan Jarry has been named to the WHL First All-Star team and has been nominated for the WHL goalie of the year. Is it too soon to be excited about how well these guys are doing?

Craig

Re: Should we be excited about our young goalies yet?

Postby Craig » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:42 am

Certainly Jarry, probably Murray.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:43 am

When Murray went on that bit of a tear, I was worried it was more of a flash in the pan kind of thing, but he's been solid all year. Jarry has been long thought of as the pens next franchise goalie. Will be interesting to see how they develop.

EdOlczyk

Postby EdOlczyk » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:58 am

Be interested to see what Jarry does.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:15 am

I'd wait two more seasons to get excited. Then you can get really, really excited.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:18 am

meow... gun to your head: Jarry or Murray, keep one, dump the other. Who you got?

meow

Postby meow » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:22 am

meow... gun to your head: Jarry or Murray, keep one, dump the other. Who you got?
Murray. Size

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:23 am

Murray. Size
My god... chirpin grinder rubbed off on you.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:27 am

Murray. Size
My god... chirpin grinder rubbed off on you.
Don't you put that on me!

You can't teach size, obviously. Jarry's athleticism is off-the-charts, but he has to be dialed in to be effective - which he is almost all the time. Murray is massive the net. He fills the whole thing and he doesn't even know how to effectively use his size yet. Now, size isn't the end all, be all with goalies - look at Andres Lindback. He is huge and just awful because he doesn't effectively use his size. Murray is big and ultra competitive. Two great goalie characteristics.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:41 am

I think athleticism is a bit overrated when it comes to goaltending. Give me a guy who is big/technically/positionally sound everyday.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:45 am

I think athleticism is a bit overrated when it comes to goaltending. Give me a guy who is big/technically/positionally sound everyday.
Jarry is mechanically and postionally very good. Technically, there is some work to do.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:56 am

Jarry is mechanically and postionally very good. Technically, there is some work to do.
I havent seen much of Jarry so I can only speak generally. With athletic goalies you tend to see them lean on that more than the technical skills. Fleury was the same way when he came into the league.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 am

I havent seen much of Jarry so I can only speak generally. With athletic goalies you tend to see them lean on that more than the technical skills. Fleury was the same way when he came into the league.
Definitely. Hopefully the Pens can keep Bales around because he should be able to work with Jarry on being anchored to the net more.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:08 am

I'm just excited that there at least seems to be some plan on a long term goalie after Fleury, and they aren't waiting till Fleury leaves to have a replacement at least in the pipeline.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:10 am

I'm just excited that there at least seems to be some plan on a long term goalie after Fleury, and they aren't waiting till Fleury leaves to have a replacement at least in the pipeline.
Same. If I had to guess (assuming continued good performance), he'll get one more extension after 2019 maybe? It's tough though, if Murray and/or Jarry are chomping at the bit and ready to promote (they will be 23/24 at that time), what do you do?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:14 am

Same. If I had to guess (assuming continued good performance), he'll get one more extension after 2019 maybe? It's tough though, if Murray and/or Jarry are chomping at the bit and ready to promote (they will be 23/24 at that time), what do you do?
You hope Fleury is ready to take on a mentor role and split time etc. That would be best case scenario if one of the younger guys are really chomping at the bit in the next 3 years or so.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:44 am

Hopefully you get someone to overpay for one of them. Look what NJ gave up for Schneider and what TOR gave up for Bernier.

blurryhaze312

Postby blurryhaze312 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:54 pm

You hope Fleury is ready to take on a mentor role and split time etc. That would be best case scenario if one of the younger guys are really chomping at the bit in the next 3 years or so.
Initially I scoffed at your two posts with all of the mentor role and splitting time stuff...and then I realized the guy is already 30 (1/2 ish). How did that happen?! :oops:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:01 pm

I know right? Amazing that our young core are all 27-30 now

Corvidae

Postby Corvidae » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Murray needs to eat 40 sandwiches. He makes Fleury look like a beefcake. He'll wear down quickly as a #1 goalie at the AHL level.

P.S. :scared: :slug: :pop: :fist:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:12 am

Murray needs to eat 40 sandwiches. He makes Fleury look like a beefcake. He'll wear down quickly as a #1 goalie at the AHL level.

P.S. :scared: :slug: :pop: :fist:
I always thought of Murray as being lanky like Caron was lanky, but somehow he's Caron lanky plus like 5 inches.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:22 am

I'm with meow on Murray > Jarry right now, so are some of the Pens brass. I've watched Jarry more than a few times this year...and frankly, I'm not impressed with the last 12 months of development...and I'm a little surprised he was a First-Team All-Star, even if it's for his conference only, but then again, it was a weak year for goaltending in the Dub...I don't know, maybe I underrate him a tiny bit...but he gives up some really weak goals from just poor technique...we'll see what happens when he turns pro and gets to work with Bales and the whole bit...

Waffles
Location: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Postby Waffles » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Is the jury still out?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:34 pm

@columbia

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Somehow, I had no opinion at the time. WEIRD.