Fragile Beau out again

Pavement

Fragile Beau out again

Postby Pavement » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:57 pm

I find that Tweet quite sad actually. I wonder how close he is to throwing the towel in himself.

dodint

Fragile Beau out again

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:00 pm

I do too. That has to be heartbreaking to work for something your whole life and then realize it's something you can't achieve.

Any 'anger' I have here is that people still give him a pass. I've wanted to know for a while what the threshold is and apparently for some people we're not there yet. I want those folks to expand on their stance and tell me what I'm missing. An oft-injured low production asset might be let go, and some people are upset by that. Why?

King Colby

Fragile Beau out again

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:40 pm

Im not sure whats wrong with any of the quotes you tweeted or what exactly your point is ?

What do you want people to say?

Algernon

Fragile Beau out again

Postby Algernon » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Do you even watch the games dodint?

dodint

Fragile Beau out again

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:42 pm

I can't make it any clearer, the point was stated several times. If that's the response then I can just write-off the Bennett support as completely irrational.

King Colby

Fragile Beau out again

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:45 pm

I can't make it any clearer, the point was stated several times. If that's the response then I can just write-off the Bennett support as completely irrational.
Why dont you restate your point again in a more readily available place than a very long post where it can easily be lost?

Craig

Fragile Beau out again

Postby Craig » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:46 pm

I wouldnt care if they re-signed him at a contract around the vet minumum. I wouldnt care if they didnt either.

King Colby

Fragile Beau out again

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:47 pm

The point I'm making is he has a lot of talent (which isn't really up for debate) and there is close to no risk in keeping him around. He's cheap, and if by some stroke of luck he can string together a bunch of injury free games in a row, he can really provide some value/ROI, either to the lineup or in a trade. And if/when he gets hurt... what is the negative?

Craig

Fragile Beau out again

Postby Craig » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:50 pm

And if/when he gets hurt... what is the negative?
Well jim or dodint would force us to revisit this thread.

King Colby

Fragile Beau out again

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:51 pm

Atop that, there likely isnt much risk in letting him walk either. You lose a guy who barely plays and right when he starts producing again he gets hurt again.

Case in point - it's a stupid, low impact argument and a weird topic about which to take the time to compile and quote posts from other threads

King Colby

Fragile Beau out again

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:55 pm

Also its not like the penguins are counting on bennett to be a top 6 player. The expectations of him are literally non existent.

It's just so weird to me how people get all riled up and vindictive every time bennett misses a gam . Its nonsensical

King Colby

Fragile Beau out again

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:57 pm

It's clearly rooted entirely in personal distaste for bennett the player. Thats the only logical explanation :slug:

dodint

Fragile Beau out again

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:01 pm

This is insanity.

Good to know.

columbia

Fragile Beau out again

Postby columbia » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:15 pm

Indifference seems like the most logical reaction to Bennett, at this point. I'd like to see him healthy and play for the Pens next year, but I also don't care if I never see him play hockey again.

Silentom

Fragile Beau out again

Postby Silentom » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:26 pm

I'm somewhere close to that also. If he comes back dirt cheap again, then who cares what he does.

dodint

Fragile Beau out again

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Source of the post
Why dont you restate your point again in a more readily available place than a very long post where it can easily be lost?
It was literally restated in the sentence directly before you wrote this. I feel like you're being purposefully obtuse here.

Restated another way: Beau Bennett is a failed Penguins prospect at the end of his contract, why do people advocate keeping him given the years of data showing he's oft injured and a low-points producer?
I wouldnt care if they re-signed him at a contract around the vet minumum. I wouldnt care if they didnt either.
If he stays in the Pens system I'd like for him to be on an NHL minimum two-way that allows for him to have a 50+ game conditioning stint/try out at WBS before they start trying to work him into a Pens roster. I don't know if he can be signed to a two-way deal at this stage, though. Any chance of him being shoehorned into the Pens lineup without conditioning in WBS seems like the wrong direction for the team, to me.
The point I'm making is he has a lot of talent (which isn't really up for debate) and there is close to no risk in keeping him around. He's cheap, and if by some stroke of luck he can string together a bunch of injury free games in a row, he can really provide some value/ROI, either to the lineup or in a trade. And if/when he gets hurt... what is the negative?
Not up for debate? That might be the disconnect right there. He's always hurt and has mediocre numbers and is now scared to play hockey. But he dangled that one time so lets keep him in perpetuity. You're relying on a 'stroke of luck' to get performance out of someone on a veteran contract? Ouch. Nobody trades for a punchline except the Canadiens.
The risk/negative is that coaching/development relies on a finite resource pool. There is only so much ice time to go around. The risk is you waste one of your 50 contract spots on him, it's very cut and dry.
Well jim or dodint would force us to revisit this thread.
If you feel reading a thread on 5AF is akin to slavery that's on you, there are an infinite number of things you can do instead. "Stop talking about hockey on that hockey forum, I'm forced to read it!"
Case in point - it's a stupid, low impact argument and a weird topic about which to take the time to compile and quote posts from other threads
Yeah, it's terrible I took time to state an argument and back it up with evidence. I should just write one line at a time in separate posts, much better.
I cross posted the quotes because there was already a Beau Bennett thread and that's exactly what the community here wants to do, talk about specific topics in specific threads. That I'm catching flak on both sides of that coin is absolutely amazing.
It's clearly rooted entirely in personal distaste for bennett the player. Thats the only logical explanation :slug:
The logical explanation was laid out for you, and you didn't read it because the post was too long.
I never warmed up to BB, that's no surprise. That goes back to LGP. He was always never going to reach his potential and I took heat for that opinion from the start. Now that it is obvious that I was on to something and most people have come around to seeing it as I do, I'm genuinely curious what compels the holdouts not to see the light.

Sports fandom is an irrational beast and that's fine. With nobody having a compelling counter argument and KC specifically stooping to petty insults I'll just chalk it up as the dying breath of a fan base that doesn't want a 1Rd pick to be a dud. "Bennett is really good if you ignore the obvious bad stuff that makes him an incomplete contributor." You can't just pick and choose what makes a player good, he's not Lemiuex where the production outweighs the frustration of him being injured endlessly.

columbia

Fragile Beau out again

Postby columbia » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:46 pm

I think you meant Malkin in that last sentence.

mikey

Fragile Beau out again

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Source of the post Honestly, the only reason I can see some resistance for letting him walk is that he was a First Round Pick and letting him go acknowledges that it was a waste. Well, he's also a waste on the roster so lets just come to grips with it and move along.
I'll take a stab at it. And I say this as someone that would not mind if Bennett came back at 1 yr, $650K...or if he was traded for a 3rd or a 4th...or even if he wasn't qualified and was set free...which would be a shame, but you can't squeeze water from a stone...you'll hurt it...

This is my old thing about the grass always being greener. We see players play 82 games or whatever people here watch...so we generally either have the best thing ever or the worst thing ever...when our coach is bad: he's the worst in the league and will never get a job again and he's awful and he doesn't play rookies and he favors veterans and he dresses Scuderi and blah blah blah...as if no other fanbase says these things about their coach...when our coach is good: he's the best in the league, and he deserves the Jack Adams and we're fast and he took the leash off and yada yada yada...

Same with players. Maxime Talbot is a hero. He's the most underrated fourth liner in the league and would be a third liner on almost every team but ours. Talbot is a glue guy. He should wear an A. Then...Talbot is a loser. He takes the regular season off. He coasts in too many games. He doesn't bring anything to the lineup. The contract he signed is one of the worst in the league among bottom six forwards. I wish we had drafted/signed/traded for: Kyle Chipchura, Dale Weise, Brandon Prust, Petteri Nokelainen, Nate Thompson, Gregory Campbell...while their fanbases are saying, "I wish we had Joe Vitale or Maxime Talbot or whatever..." because they have seen enough of Chipchura's faults to realize that he blows...but assume Vitale will bring some much needed speed and tenacity to their lineup...

So...all that to say this. The grass is always greener applies to prospects. Because we don't know our own prospects by and large because we don't watch 82 of their games...why does Scuderi play instead of Pouliot? Why does Poapst play instead of Bolf? Why not try Keven Veilleux with Crosby instead of having Colby Armstrong there? So next year you figure Caputi-Crosby-Dupuis?

Consequently, we're more upset when we lose a prospect because of what could have been than we are when we lose average, above average, good roster players...Armstrong, Christensen, Esposito and a 1st?!?! We sold the farm. Who the hell is Doopus? I can't believe we lost Brian Strait on waivers. I can't believe Phillip Samuelsson isn't worth at least a 3rd round pick to someone, I hope we don't lose him on waivers. The big dog's gotta eat. The sky is the limit for Engelland. Jani Rita deserves a good long look with Pirjeta...

Beau Bennett is, in some distant way, that prospect...that grass is always greener prospect...this is the one that was supposed to make it. One more try, he's got it. He just needs to stay healthy. If he could string together some games. You know all the things that get said...he's that. We want it to work because he's gotten closer than the lot of them. And look at how gratifying it is to see Rust, Kuhnhackl, Murray, etc. coming up and making a positive impact...wouldn't it be great if Bennett made a positive impact...he can't do that if he's not qualified this offseason...can't do it without a contract. One more try. He's got it.

The irony might be...if he played 70 games, we might all get sick of him and hope we trade him...give Guentzel a chance. He's got 38 points in 55 games in the A...and the cycle restarts...

slappybrown

Fragile Beau out again

Postby slappybrown » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:53 pm

70-80% of the things you're ascribing to the "voice of the fan" were never said by anybody but a few outliers at lgp or here, in my recollection/opinion.
Last edited by slappybrown on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

columbia

Fragile Beau out again

Postby columbia » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:53 pm

Talbot will always be a hero, regardless of anything that he did outside of that night.

dodint

Fragile Beau out again

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:54 pm

I appreciate your response. And I think you're saying the same thing I am, albeit with tact. ;)

If he played 70 games my complaint would be baseless and I'd have to find some other drum to beat. ;) And if he is extended and does turn it around, I'll be as happy as anyone. I said Letang wouldn't turn it around this season and was completely wrong. I think I predicted something like 12pts out of him. :lol:

Bottom line is I think it's demonstrated that his total package is well below what other people in the bottom-6 and/or WBS can offer and I'd rather work with the folks that can stay on the ice. Like Porter.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Fragile Beau out again

Postby meow » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:25 pm

This thread is...embarrassing.

the wicked child

Fragile Beau out again

Postby the wicked child » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:49 pm

I'm done with him at this point. He doesn't produce enough when healthy to waste a roster spot on the off chance that he might finally get rid of that gypsy curse.

If he somehow turns it around down the line for some other team, good for him... just don't want it to be the Pens' problem anymore.

King Colby

Fragile Beau out again

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:44 pm

Again, is a guy making very little who is relied on for so little really a "problem"?

The only true negative other than "im tired of waiting for him to stay healthy" i have seen is use of 1/50 of the team's contracts, however negative that is.

King Colby

Fragile Beau out again

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:53 pm

The explanation was laid out for you, and you didn't read it because the post was too long.
I never warmed up to BB, that's no surprise. That goes back to LGP. He was always never going to reach his potential and I took heat for that opinion from the start. Now that it is obvious that I was on to something and most people have come around to seeing it as I do, I'm genuinely curious what compels the holdouts not to see the light.

Sports fandom is an irrational beast and that's fine. With nobody having a compelling counter argument and KC specifically stooping to petty insults I'll just chalk it up as the dying breath of a fan base that doesn't want a 1Rd pick to be a dud. "Bennett is really good if you ignore the obvious bad stuff that makes him an incomplete contributor." You can't just pick and choose what makes a player good, he's not Lemiuex where the production outweighs the frustration of him being injured endlessly.
Petty insults? Where specifically?

I don't see one person saying bennett is a great player that the pens cant afford to lose. People arguing with you (me) are saying its strange to be vehemently opposed to keeping him since the potential positives, as low as they may be, outweigh the negative, which is virtually zero.