Preseason thread

shafnutz05

Preseason thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:47 am

Oh, it is? Excellent.
According to the NHL website, it is. A shame Crosby won't be there, but this is great for that city.

llipgh2

Preseason thread

Postby llipgh2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:50 am

meow will be in attendance
I envy you. I'd love to be there.

llipgh2

Preseason thread

Postby llipgh2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:51 am

Oh, it is? Excellent.
According to the NHL website, it is. A shame Crosby won't be there, but this is great for that city.
Doc, PeeAir and JR will be working the game tonight.

mikey

Preseason thread

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:07 am

It will be on NBCSN, they were advertising it during the Broncos/Lions game...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Preseason thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:22 am

I grew up going to Chiefs games. It's really where my love of hockey started. I would love to be there tonight. The War Memorial definitely has a special place in my heart and this is great for the city. Enjoy it, meow!

Defence21

Preseason thread

Postby Defence21 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:42 am

I grew up going to Chiefs games. It's really where my love of hockey started. I would love to be there tonight. The War Memorial definitely has a special place in my heart and this is great for the city. Enjoy it, meow!
As did I. I started my hockey fandom sometime in either first or second grade -- roughly 1991-1992 -- when Stan "Smokey" Reddick was the Johnstown Chiefs' goalie. I took to him for some reason in the one game I attended. The next year, my family got weekend passes for the season, and we held them and the occasional full season pass until 1998, when my sister graduated high school.

If it weren't for Johnstown hockey, I wouldn't be the fan I am today. I chose not to attempt to get tickets for tonight's game, however, as I feel like it's going to be a crowded, uncomfortable mess. Fortunately, the game will be on NBC Sports. From everything I am seeing/hearing/reading, the weekend's events the leadup yesterday/today have been fantastic. This is a great thing for the Johnstown community, and while it will be done and over much more quickly than it started, maybe it will regenerate some interest in local hockey with greater support being shown for the Tomahawks junior team.

Kudos to all involved.

Nuge

Preseason thread

Postby Nuge » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:10 pm

As did I. I started my hockey fandom sometime in either first or second grade -- roughly 1991-1992 -- when Stan "Smokey" Reddick was the Johnstown Chiefs' goalie. I took to him for some reason in the one game I attended. The next year, my family got weekend passes for the season, and we held them and the occasional full season pass until 1998, when my sister graduated high school.

If it weren't for Johnstown hockey, I wouldn't be the fan I am today. I chose not to attempt to get tickets for tonight's game, however, as I feel like it's going to be a crowded, uncomfortable mess. Fortunately, the game will be on NBC Sports. From everything I am seeing/hearing/reading, the weekend's events the leadup yesterday/today have been fantastic. This is a great thing for the Johnstown community, and while it will be done and over much more quickly than it started, maybe it will regenerate some interest in local hockey with greater support being shown for the Tomahawks junior team.

Kudos to all involved.
It sucks that the Chiefs moved but Tomahawks games are fun to go to. Plus, the "tacos" at Scott's By Dam are awesome.

Defence21

Preseason thread

Postby Defence21 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:32 pm

Kudos to all involved.
It sucks that the Chiefs moved but Tomahawks games are fun to go to. Plus, the "tacos" at Scott's By Dam are awesome.
Yeah, no question. I loved going to Chiefs games. Unfortunately, a major part of the fun was the fighting, which has been curbed significantly, making minor league hockey less entertaining -- and this is coming from a guy who doesn't like staged fights in the NHL. The reality, though, is that a lot of ECHL talent is not really, talent, and as a result, the games are slower, less exciting, etc. It took fights to ramp up the intensity.

Hell, I remember when Nick Fotiu was coaching and the team got into a pre-game skate brawl. Fotiu ended up marching his team to the locker room and protested the ref's penalty/misconduct decisions. It was pure entertainment that went beyond what otherwise was relatively low quality hockey.

What's nice about the Tomahawks is that they are younger kids with a passion for the game and a desire to make it to the next level. The skill level isn't quite there -- though it isn't far behind the ECHL level -- but the speed is wonderful. I am looking forward to hitting a bunch of games this season.

And, yes, Scott's has great food in general, but the tacos are amazing. My preferred destination when I venture down the hill from Richland is Coney Island. Nothing beats a few hot dogs with onions that can be tasted for days!

RonnieFranchise

Preseason thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:35 pm

meow will be in attendance
Friends of mine will be behind one of the the penalty boxes. The plan is for one to have a sign that says "Feel Shame" and the other "Get Free." Not sure if they actually did it or not.

Craig

Preseason thread

Postby Craig » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:50 pm

I remember being next to the penalty box for a game and a girl held a sign up to the glass when kovalev was in the box that said "Kovalev, please resign". He looked at it funny and i laughed. She kept drawing his attention to it.

shafnutz05

Preseason thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:08 pm

Anyone watching this pregame? This is great stuff

skullman80

Preseason thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:09 pm

Lol yep good stuff.

skullman80

Preseason thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:10 pm

Lol Malkin.

Shyster

Preseason thread

Postby Shyster » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Is there no radio for this game?

Gaucho

Preseason thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:15 pm

Hitler youth hairdos seem to be all the rage these days.

skullman80

Preseason thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:20 pm

The complaining that crosby isn't there has already begun.

Viva la Ben

Preseason thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:20 pm

Lol Milbury ripping the Pens for not playing Crosby tonight

Trip McNeely

Preseason thread

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Lol Milbury ripping the Pens for not playing Crosby tonight
Just couldn't resist a chance to rip him

Gaucho

Preseason thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Idiot.

columbia

Preseason thread

Postby columbia » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:26 pm

There were people here griping about it.

Gaucho

Preseason thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Idiots.

RonnieFranchise

Preseason thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:30 pm

Damn it couldn't they have put Letang and Fleury on one of the Quebec-Johnstown flights for this?

Nice as it would be it's a preseason game and they have to treat it as such. Some guys play others don't.

Buy ya a soda after the game.
Last edited by RonnieFranchise on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaucho

Preseason thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:30 pm

Will there be a game at all?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Preseason thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Well that was quick.... :lol:

Viva la Ben

Preseason thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Plot!