Penguins Facebook page

Gabe

Penguins Facebook page

Postby Gabe » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:20 pm

So looks like student rush attendance nosedived they had to send players out to literally give tickets away to college kids
It's terrible to do things for fans. :face:

Seriously, I get that this looks like a ploy to keep the sellout streak alive, but really? Come on. When tickets are available, why not give them to young fans who otherwise might not have the money to spend on a ticket? It's a great way to cultivate young fans, which, by the way, they've done extremely well. But of course, the glass has to be half empty and the only reason the Penguins could possibly be doing this is to prolong a meaningless sellout streak, right?
If they werent doing it to preserve the sell out streak they would end the sellout streak, be ause giveaway tickets arent tickets sold.
Yeah, but who loses out in the scenario that a fake sellout streak continues? Doesn't seem like anyone is hurt by this. As a bonus, the Pens pick up a few extra dollars on concessions and maybe gain some fans. The price of a fake sellout streak seems pretty reasonable.

Craig

Penguins Facebook page

Postby Craig » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:28 pm

Its a marketing ploy. It creates the illusion of more demand than there is. Presumably, Its how they can justify ticket prices. I guess the answer is that it hurts the people purchasing tickets.

Defence21

Penguins Facebook page

Postby Defence21 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Its a marketing ploy. The illusion of more demand than there is. Its how they can justify ticket prices. I guess the answer is that it hurts the people purchasing tickets.
So giving away or selling cheaply tickets to games with less than capacity crowds hurts those who already bought tickets? Sorry, I don't buy it. I've been on both sides of the situation, as I used Student Rush during my college years and have attended plenty of full-priced games since.

Of course this is a business and the ultimate goal is to sell tickets. They're trying to cultivate fans for the future -- fans who will ultimately buy tickets and spend lots of money on the team. If giving away 200-1000 tickets to games throughout the year impacts the price of tickets for you that much, don't go. I'm sure a college student would be happy to have your seats.

Pavement

Penguins Facebook page

Postby Pavement » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:44 pm

I find myself admiring Ian Cole more every day.
Lol i was thinking the same.
Taylor Swift has some catchy tunes. :thumb:

Pavement

Penguins Facebook page

Postby Pavement » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Someone should do a 5AF playlist.

Craig

Penguins Facebook page

Postby Craig » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Its a marketing ploy. The illusion of more demand than there is. Its how they can justify ticket prices. I guess the answer is that it hurts the people purchasing tickets.
So giving away or selling cheaply tickets to games with less than capacity crowds hurts those who already bought tickets? Sorry, I don't buy it. I've been on both sides of the situation, as I used Student Rush during my college years and have attended plenty of full-priced games since.

Of course this is a business and the ultimate goal is to sell tickets. They're trying to cultivate fans for the future -- fans who will ultimately buy tickets and spend lots of money on the team. If giving away 200-1000 tickets to games throughout the year impacts the price of tickets for you that much, don't go. I'm sure a college student would be happy to have your seats.
My response to this doesnt need to be said, because it became a joke around here.

Defence21

Penguins Facebook page

Postby Defence21 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:56 pm

My response to this doesnt need to be said, because it became a joke around here.
Ok...

Gabe

Penguins Facebook page

Postby Gabe » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:28 pm

Its a marketing ploy. It creates the illusion of more demand than there is. Presumably, Its how they can justify ticket prices. I guess the answer is that it hurts the people purchasing tickets.
Yes, but each transaction requires two willing participants, the buyer and the seller. If the prices are too high, it stands to reason that the demand for tickets will be less. For now, it appears that people are still willingly paying the ticket prices. Would they be just as willing to pay the same amount if there were empty seats? I think so. If the purchaser agrees to pay the price, I'm having a hard time believing that they are harmed by giveaway tickets.

I know the team still says there is a waiting list for season tickets. I would imagine they could capitalize on more revenue if they just took a couple hundred people on the waiting list and allowed them to purchase a season package instead of giving away the tix.