NHL Entry Draft 2015

mikey

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:35 am

Friday at 7 pm kicks off the 1st round (NBCSN, Sportsnet, TVA). Saturday 10 AM Rounds 2-7 (NHLN, TVA).

Official draft order: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771374

1. Edmonton
2. Buffalo
3. Arizona
4. Toronto
5. Carolina
6. New Jersey
7. Philadelphia
8. Columbus
9. San Jose
10. Colorado

Mikey's top 20 (well, based on the players I've seen, there's a number that I haven't seen to be fair):
1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Mitch Marner
4. Ivan Provorov
5. Noah Hanifin
6. Dylan Strome
7. Matt Barzal
8. Zach Werenski
9. Mikko Rantanen
10. Pavel Zacha
11. Lawson Crouse
12. Kyle Connor
13. Travis Konecny
14. Joel Eriksson-Ek
15. Anthony Beauvillier
16. Daniel Sprong
17. Thomas Chabot
18. Jakub Zboril
19. Evgeny Svechnikov
20. Ilya Samsonov

Sleepers: Alexander Dergachyov, Matt Spencer, Brandon Carlo

Avyran

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby Avyran » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:39 am

Marner over Strome, eh? There's a rumor that Boston's offering Dougie Hamilton for the #3 pick, too.

A collection of Bob McKenzie rumors for the day thus far in the spoiler.
It certainly sounds like Arizona is leaning towards trading the No. 3 overall pick. Multiple teams interested, incl CBJ, WPG and perhaps BOS. Most of the teams interested in getting the No. 3 pick want it to draft a D, either Noah Hanifin or Ivan Provorov.

Keep eye on BOS. New GM Don Sweeney is "listening hard" on Milan Lucic trade possibilities. Also has Dougie Hamilton "situation." Hamilton pending RFA, possible offer sheet target (EDM?). Not an easy negotiation/situation for BOS so trade rumors have ensued. Stay tuned.

Goalie trade mark percolating but with multiple teams in on NYR Cam Talbot, sense is that deal needs to happen for others to follow. Teams possibly trading goalies: NYR (Talbot), OTT (Lehner), VAN (Lack), LA (Jones). Teams possibly trading for G: BUF, CGY, DAL, EDM, SJ. All those teams also monitoring negotiations for pending UFA G Devan Dubnyk and MIN. In any case, Talbot deal likely catalyst for run on Gs.

VAN may trade Kevin Bieksa, who has full NTC. Five teams interested. Bieksa, tho, believed to have two in particular he would waive to go to. On Bieksa, one in West (believed to be SJ) and one as yet unnamed team in East. If Bieksa traded, likely for a pick/prospect or picks.

PIT is in market for scoring winger(s); STL is looking to move some core pieces (Oshie?) and TOR continuing to look at Kessel trade options. COL expected to sign Carl Soderberg today. Ryan O'Reilly trade watch continues there. ANA may trade Matt Beleskey's negotiating rights. CHI continuing to work on Patrick Sharp trade, amongst others. But hottest stuff right now appears to be ARI possible trading of No. 3 pick.
Dreger has the following, too:
Trade interest in Boston's Dougie Hamilton is significant. Some see the Bruins offering Hamilton to Ariz for #3 pick. So much speculation. Boston-Arizona makes sense if the Bruins use the pick to draft Hanifin who is a local Boston boy.

mikey

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:57 am

Marner is a #1 pick in most of the recent drafts in my opinion.

Just a brief tidbit from me on Marner:
3. Mitchell Marner, C/RW, London - Peppy offensive forward. Superb playmaker, loves to move it forward, sometimes adventurously. Snappy shot that he can get off in all situations and angles and with his feet moving. Master of one-on-one plays, deceptive and elusive. Nimble skater, darting, with great closing speed and change of pace skating. Willing competitor with a high motor. Doesn't offer much defensively unless he sees a puck he can get. He plays the game almost exactly like young Patrick Kane did, he passes the same exact way Kane does.
and Strome, for net neutrality...
6. Dylan Strome, C, Erie - Somewhat sleepy offensive forward. Creative with great vision. Can control the puck with ease and understands where he is in space very well. Good, quick release. He contributes defensively, willing to go deep into his own end. His pace and tempo are slow and his skating is something of a match for that. He is not elusive or fast. He almost never stops on a puck. Not very physical or engaging. His patience and low motor could be potentially troublesome as a pro, where back pressure is more intense.

Potential: Second line, playmaking center like Joe Thornton.
Bust chance: Low-medium

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby meow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:37 am

Source of the post 6. Dylan Strome, C, Erie - Somewhat sleepy offensive forward.
I've seen Strome play 50+ junior games in person. This is perfect. Dude has no pulse out there.

Avyran

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby Avyran » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:41 am

Craig

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby Craig » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:43 am

Source of the post 6. Dylan Strome, C, Erie - Somewhat sleepy offensive forward.
I've seen Strome play 50+ junior games in person. This is perfect. Dude has no pulse out there.
Now i understand why hes perfect for toronto.

meow

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby meow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:45 am

Now i understand why hes perfect for toronto.
He's supremely talented and creative, but he looks like his dad is making him play.

Avyran

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby Avyran » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:48 am

Here's who Jesse thinks the Pens should pick at #46 (if we even still have that pick by the time it comes around). He wants Zachary Senyshyn.
I can’t recall having ever seen a player that explodes off the puck like Senyshyn does. He has an uncanny ability to bear down on the puck and use his posture to generate more momentum without having to move his legs. His first step takes him from 0-100 and his top end speed is essentially untouchable. His wide skating base makes him hard to knock off the puck and his glide is both effortless and powerful.

I think most of Senyshyn’s offensive skills are on par with his peers. He’s adept at stickhandling, he uses his speed to protect the puck well, he’s engaged in the tough areas of the ice, he’s responsible enough defensively. What I really like about Senyshyn’s offensive skill set is his shot. It’s best described as violent. From a posture and release standpoint, I think it has a ceiling that’s on par or equatable to that of James Neal.

Craig

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby Craig » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:53 am

And now i understand it even more in the context of them looking at moving kessel.

mikey

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:58 am

I would endorse Senyshyn as well, but don't feel like he'll fall to us. He is fast as a goaty goat though...

Avyran

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby Avyran » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:05 am

Any thoughts on the other guys Jesse listed? Jens Lööke (best name in draft?), Travis Dermott (imagine the rage if Pens select another D-man), Christian Fischer, Gabriel Gagné, Jeremy Bracco (seems like Max Domi but not as good)?

meow

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby meow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:10 am

Any thoughts on the other guys Jesse listed? Jens Lööke (best name in draft?), Travis Dermott (imagine the rage if Pens select another D-man), Christian Fischer, Gabriel Gagné, Jeremy Bracco (seems like Max Domi but not as good)?
I'm a big Dermott fan. He plays a smart and simple game. He's got a good mix of offensively ability and defensive savvy. He's not very physical on his own, but he doesn't get pushed around. He might be there at #46. I've seen him ranked in the late 20's and as low as the mid 50's.

Craig

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby Craig » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:11 am

Projecting to the second round seems pretty futile.

meow

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby meow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:15 am

It's not so much projecting as it is ranking players. This guy is better than that guy. But the point stands - might as well be throwing darts.

mikey

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:18 am

I actually sent my notes on Jens Looke over to Jesse, so I'm pretty familiar with him. The rest of those guys I never really got the chance to look at real, real close. Dermott and Bracco were on my "next up" list, but I just ran out of time. I've heard good things about Bracco, but I've only seen flashes of him...

Avyran

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby Avyran » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:24 am

Draft pick trade, go! (Potentially.)
https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/status/ ... 0061456384

Avyran

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby Avyran » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:36 am

More on the #3 pick situation. I'm not sure who Frank Seravelli is, but he writes for TSN, so can't be that bad.
Columbus seems to be the team best positioned to close the deal. The Blue Jackets own six picks among the first 69 selections, including No. 8 overall. They also have a bevy of young forwards that are either NHL ready or close to it.

Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said on Thursday he wasn't going to "go crazy" to jump up five spots in the draft, but the belief is his best offer isn't yet on the table. One offer was believed to include Artem Anisimov, 2013 first-rounder Kerby Rychel and the No. 8 pick. That wouldn't appear to be enough.
Why would you not take that deal? (Edit: Thinking about it more, I get why. But that seems like a good offer, that's all I meant.)

Avyran

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby Avyran » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:53 am

FYI, McKenzie & Dreger confirming the Lehner/Legwand to Sabres for #21 pick. Seems like an awfully good deal for Buffalo.

mikey

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:59 am

Servalli is a former Philadelphia writer that got picked up by TSN for some reason last week...

meow

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby meow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:06 am

FYI, McKenzie & Dreger confirming the Lehner/Legwand to Sabres for #21 pick. Seems like an awfully good deal for Buffalo.
Lehner is mayor of butt city and Legwand is losing his only attribute in his wheels.

mikey

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:32 am

Stuff your sorry's in a sack...Lehner is awesome.

meow

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby meow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:38 am

Stuff your sorry's in a sack...Lehner is awesome.
If you like mental goalies. And not good mental, like Ron Hextall. Bad mental, like...like...Robin Lehner. No, no, no, that doesn't work at all.

mikey

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:39 am

Tuukka Rask isn't exactly Carey Price is that regard either...I agree with you and exceptions don't prove you wrong, but I wouldn't hesitate to take a chance on Lehner's tools and maturing...

Also, GM Tim Murray might have had a heavy hand in drafting Lehner from his time in Ottawa...familiar with him.

meow

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby meow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:43 am

Tuukka Rask isn't exactly Carey Price is that regard either...I agree with you and exceptions don't prove you wrong, but I wouldn't hesitate to take a chance on Lehner's tools and maturing...

Also, GM Tim Murray might have had a heavy hand in drafting Lehner from his time in Ottawa...familiar with him.
Probably. He's got a long way to go in the maturation process. It can happen. We shall see.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NHL Entry Draft 2015

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:44 am

Senyshyn is an awesome name