Should the Pens fire Head Coach Mike Sullivan?

Should they?

Yes, they should do it tomorrow
29%
Yes, at the end of the season if we continue to worsen
29%
No, give him at least one more year
43%

Total votes: 21
MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:36 am

why or why not?

JC2

Postby JC2 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:04 am

Honestly? I wanted him gone last year in addition to Hextall. They consistently had slow starts and couldn't close games. All that has continued. Unfortunately, it's too late now to fire him and expect anything to change...

Given his contract, I don't think he's getting fired. He's getting a new team assembled by Dubas for next season (and hopefully a new assistant for the powerplay), and they are going to give him another chance. I think I'm okay with that - this season is already lost, anyway. He's a good coach, and he lost the room for this season but perhaps he can get it back depending on the new players.

If this team is floundering and having the same issues 20% into next season, he needs to be fired immediately. Given the performance the past two years, he doesn't deserve another full season. I think the window is pretty much closed, but this team is also underperforming and that's on the coach. Just look at Edmonton this year... sometimes you just need a new voice in the locker room.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:09 am

I would have fired him after the loss to Chicago to end last season.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:43 am

The new voice thing probably only applies to having the same roster. Considering the impending roster turnover, Sullivan's ability to adapt to his roster, his net positive record of young player development...I'd keep him.

In so much that, the window where moving on from passed...sure, Chicago/Columbus? I understand. Now? I don't.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:00 am

The more I think about it - and I thought about it last night for more than 5 minutes. They should "Promote" Sullivan to an adviser role, and hire a new coach that Dubas wants.

Everyone saves face, Sullivan still works for the team in some capacity unless another team wants to hire him as a coach.

Otherwise, fire his ass.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:07 am

I cannot in good faith say “man this roster is such doo-doo” out of one side of my mouth then say “fire the head coach” out of the other side. The roster is about to get younger and we all know Sullivan is good with young guys. I’d let him finish the season, at least

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:10 am

I cannot in good faith say “man this roster is such doo-doo” out of one side of my mouth then say “fire the head coach” out of the other side. The roster is about to get younger and we all know Sullivan is good with young guys. I’d let him finish the season, at least
:thumb:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:12 am

I'm just curious what FSG thinks and how they're apparently all in with him. I think he probably should get next year, maybe even half of next year.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:16 am

This is Dubas' mess.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:16 am

Management has been clear that they think very highly of him so it's somewhat a moot point.

It does nothing but rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic to fire him now. Let him at least finish the season.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:43 am

I’m fine with him finishing the season. I don’t necessarily want him back. I think the team needs a new voice regardless. He’s not awful but it’s time for a new direction with a new group of players.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:47 am

I thought I had also read somewhere, or maybe it was on the radio - that 87/71/58 made it clear that they wanted Sullivan to remain the coach into their twilight, but I don't know how accurate it is.

If that is accurate, it's probably beyond time listening to the guys who aren't going to be around much longer.

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:48 am

I'm 50/50, but I'm not sure there is a better option available to replace him.

I would give him a chance to work with the new players the team acquires. If next season starts out poorly and the players appear to be tuned out, then I think you have to replace him. I mean, if the team adds a couple of shooters and the power play is still a disaster, then that would be another reason to replace him IMO. Right now, he has very little to work with.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:50 am

I would like them to keep him and I think they will. He's had a very poor roster the past 2 seasons, but what has impressed me is his ability to completely transform the way they play (at 5 on 5 at least) to fit what they do have. It has worked on the defensive side but not on the offensive side because they dont have the horses to retrieve pucks or finish chances, outside of sid's line.

One area of concern for me is that he tends to put guys on his sht list pretty quickly if they don't play the way he likes away from the puck. I get that but I also think he's going to have to have a longer leash with that in the name of generating offense. Puustinen is a good example.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:55 am

Theyre going to also need to get sullivan more foot speed in the bottom 6 if they want to generate offense. Carter and acciari have played good hockey for the most part but you're never going to get consistent offense from guys that slow. Really all they have down there with speed is O'Connor. Pick up a couple guys who can haul ass and go win loose pucks.