DD's Thread of Trade Deadlining Because mikey is a whiner

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:19 am

It's all part of the retooling plan. They nixed the extension to get some young talent with the agreement to bring him back

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:25 am

Lots of good points by DD regarding extending another 30 year old for that long.

My perspective would be that I'd be a lot more interested if we didn't already have Rust and Rakell locked up for their age 31-35 seasons.

We would need to move at least one of them to make bringing Jake back for the type of deal he's going to want make sense. Strictly because having too many guys making a lot of money in their 30s is what got us here. It's also what got us to those pretty rough years at the end of Shero's tenure.

The U

Postby The U » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:27 am

Random thought….

The players are sad. I don’t care.

When did they last win a playoff series? Like 6-7 years ago? You have looked lifeless in too many games over the past two seasons just assuming you’ll eventually make the playoffs “just because”. You got to keep your bff coach and assistant coach through all this. Many other franchises would have watched your growing number of lifeless performances and brought in a jerk hardass head coach. You screwed around on the PP all season and played so loose and casual like nothing was on the line. You blew countless leads. You prefer pond hockey over playoff style hockey. Hextall kept the band together even though signs of aging were creeping in. Dubas brought in EK, Reilly Smith, and others (which on paper looked like good solid moves/upgrades over some of the junk that went out in the EK deal).

I don’t want to see some sad, downtrodden, depressed act from this team over the next month. I want the players to be pissed off and realize they had a hand in this. I don’t want them blaming management or feeding snarky quotes/tips to the media like this failure wasnt on them at all.

You helped make this bed and now you have to sleep in it. Come out guns blazing next season from day 1 with a focus on getting back to the playoffs. This team lately has a “everything will just kind of work out fine because we have some stars” mentality.

And this isn’t the End of Days. This is what happens when you are out of the playoff race. You sell. You rebuild for next season and come back hungrier. I hope this team can get over the “sadness” of selling some guys and see the bigger picture here.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:30 am

Lots of good points by DD regarding extending another 30 year old for that long.

My perspective would be that I'd be a lot more interested if we didn't already have Rust and Rakell locked up for their age 31-35 seasons.

We would need to move at least one of them to make bringing Jake back for the type of deal he's going to want make sense. Strictly because having too many guys making a lot of money in their 30s is what got us here. It's also what got us to those pretty rough years at the end of Shero's tenure.
Agreed.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:30 am

Will this be the first season since Crosby’s rookie year that the Pens are playing the end of the season knowing they aren’t making the playoffs? Should be interesting.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:40 am

Kuznetsov to the Canes for a 2025 3rd.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:47 am

Kuznetsov to the Canes for a 2025 3rd.

Feels like they're trying to pull a 2013 Ray Shero but with Cup heroes instead of team captains

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:51 am

That's one I wouldn't have expected going to the Canes. He seemed like an Arizona guy

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:52 am

I like that move for the canes

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:54 am

relative to bunting - allegedly dubas is a good GM. dubas saw bunting play in toronto for two seasons. dubas knows what hes getting. he scored 23 goals in each season with toronto. penguins dont have many 23 goal scorers on their roster rn. weve complained about organizational depth. the team wasnt going to win as currently constructed. the team has more organizational depth than it did yesterday morning. while the penguins need top tier prospects, they also need nhl calibre players which this trade yielded. in dubas i trust.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:58 am

I am starting to look at it that way as well. Jake left and never returned, so they're adding 4 players for nothing, essentially. Would I rather have two months of Jake and still miss the playoffs, or have Bunting now plus 3 other prospects making the depth better overall. I'll take the Latter.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:04 am

Wayne Simmonds is a **** nerd

The U

Postby The U » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:06 am

Bunting can score and has some jerk/rat to his game as well, which the team needs more of.

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:21 am

If Bunting plays on Sid's wing next season, I'm betting that his goal totals will be very close to Jake's goal totals without Sid.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:25 am

He'll still be only half the player Jake is.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:37 am

Random thought….

You screwed around on the PP all season and played so loose and casual like nothing was on the line. You blew countless leads. You prefer pond hockey over playoff style hockey.

I don’t want to see some sad, downtrodden, depressed act from this team over the next month. I want the players to be pissed off and realize they had a hand in this. I don’t want them blaming management or feeding snarky quotes/tips to the media like this failure wasnt on them at all.

You helped make this bed and now you have to sleep in it.

I agree with this, U.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:40 am

DK is UN **** HINGED

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:41 am

almost makes me want to go to twitter to see it

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:44 am

Toffoli to the Jets for a 3rd and a 2nd.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:49 am

I'm hoping in lieu of having to retain on R Smith they just take an expiring contract back.

Predictions:
Smith --> 2025 2nd plus contract
Ruhwedel --> 2025 4th
Ned --> 2nd

3rd --> expiring UFA like olafsson or roslovic or sprong

Maybe Detroit would like R Smith for sprong and a pick. Not that I necessarily care for sprong but I could see them going for a young(er) guy who can shoot

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:51 am

#OurTeamNotFSGs

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:52 am

Maroon to the Bruins

The U

Postby The U » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:53 am

I’m kind of hoping we can get a young NHLer (or close to NHL ready) guy in Eller, Ned, Reilly trades.

Trade Ruh for a pick.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:54 am

Random thought….

The players are sad. I don’t care.

When did they last win a playoff series? Like 6-7 years ago? You have looked lifeless in too many games over the past two seasons just assuming you’ll eventually make the playoffs “just because”. You got to keep your bff coach and assistant coach through all this. Many other franchises would have watched your growing number of lifeless performances and brought in a jerk hardass head coach. You screwed around on the PP all season and played so loose and casual like nothing was on the line. You blew countless leads. You prefer pond hockey over playoff style hockey. Hextall kept the band together even though signs of aging were creeping in. Dubas brought in EK, Reilly Smith, and others (which on paper looked like good solid moves/upgrades over some of the junk that went out in the EK deal).

You helped make this bed and now you have to sleep in it. Come out guns blazing next season from day 1 with a focus on getting back to the playoffs. This team lately has a “everything will just kind of work out fine because we have some stars” mentality.

And this isn’t the End of Days. This is what happens when you are out of the playoff race. You sell. You rebuild for next season and come back hungrier. I hope this team can get over the “sadness” of selling some guys and see the bigger picture here.
I basically said this same thing to a friend who said Sid was mad about this happening. On-ice product necessitated this move.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:55 am

Okposo to the Panthers