DD's Thread of Trade Deadlining Because mikey is a whiner

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:38 am

I know it won’t take much, but I just hope they’re better than Beech, Sivek and Lupaschuk. :lol:
DK said it's worse than that trade. I love his meltdown today.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:39 am

Yeah DK's meltdown was crazy even by his standards.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:42 am

Theyre not even reading the scouting report. They're just mad they didn't get their "top ranked prospects" who they've never seen play and whose names they learned 48 hours ago..

I’m just now reading the same prospect reports most everyone else is, because I’ve never heard of any of the new kids. Bunting doesn’t push any buttons for me one way or the other. Over the years, we’ve seen throw-ins become key pieces to championships and marquee players, for whatever reason, flame out. So, you know, like always, we wait.

But the team, despite knowing it’s a business, sound gutted. Maybe because their performance, especially on special teams, forced it. Sucks for us all.

I don’t think this trade absolutely had to happen even now, but OK.

Our second home-grown, angel-haired boy sent to Carolina. I truly hope he returns.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:45 am

This trade 100% had to happen. This team is in no position to let a valuable asset walk in free agency for nothing in return. As far as him coming back, if they couldn't agree on a price for an extension there's zero chance he comes back. Last thing this team needs is another long, expensive contract for a 30+ year old player.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:46 am

I know it won’t take much, but I just hope they’re better than Beech, Sivek and Lupaschuk. :lol:

Actually my benchmark. If, as a fan, I could witness that trade and live to tell about it, I can survive any trade (except one involving Sid).

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:46 am

The trade had to happen if the Pens were uninterested in bringing back Jake at the price he wanted. Sure, they probably didn't even negotiate for him, it seems - but Dubas has to start rebuilding the team in his vision, not one that could barely make the playoffs and fail.

That's why I am also on-board with Rust being moved too, because it's time to really start changing gears.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:48 am

This trade 100% had to happen. This team is in no position to let a valuable asset walk in free agency for nothing in return. As far as him coming back, if they couldn't agree on a price for an extension there's zero chance he comes back. Last thing this team needs is another long, expensive contract for a 30+ year old player.

I absolutely get this part. I do. But I’m not convinced they couldn’t have worked out an extension.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:48 am

Yep this trade was 100000% necessary for the future of this franchise. You couldn't let Jake walk for nothing which is what would have happened. I also thinking signing jake to some long term 8 year deal at age 30 would have been the wrong thing to do.

I love Jake, He was a great player and a great person here. I appreciate everything he did for this team, but he 10000% had to be traded to start turning over this roster to get younger and get new faces here.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:48 am

The situation we're in now is why I wasn't all that excited about getting EK. Last summer was the time to start thinking toward the future. You missed the playoffs for the first time in forever, your core is getting old, your youth talent is either not there or at the end of contracts and ready to move on. It was more or less the perfect time to start the rebuild... or even a little late to start the rebuild. But instead you go and get another huge salary, past his prime player? Just seemed like a strange move at the time, and clearly not something that worked out the way they wanted.

That said, no one tanks and rebuilds in this league better than the penguins over the last 40 years. We got Lemieux/Jagr and Crosby/Malkin out of it. Time to do it again.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:49 am

I absolutely get this part. I do. But I’m not convinced they couldn’t have worked out an extension.
They didn't work out an extension. What more do you need to be convinced?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:50 am

An 7/8 year deal for a 30 year old player on a team that is going nowhere over the next several seasons would also have been bad (IMO). An extension would have not been smart either based on where this team is headed. Plus you think Jake would have wanted to sign here to a team that has no change to win anything in the foreseeable future. I guess it's possible, but it would have been silly of him to hitch his wagon to a team on the downward trend when he could get big $$$ and play for a contender somewhere else.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:51 am

The situation we're in now is why I wasn't all that excited about getting EK. Last summer was the time to start thinking toward the future. You missed the playoffs for the first time in forever, your core is getting old, your youth talent is either not there or at the end of contracts and ready to move on. It was more or less the perfect time to start the rebuild... or even a little late to start the rebuild. But instead you go and get another huge salary, past his prime player? Just seemed like a strange move at the time, and clearly not something that worked out the way they wanted.

That said, no one tanks and rebuilds in this league better than the penguins over the last 40 years. We got Lemieux/Jagr and Crosby/Malkin out of it. Time to do it again.
Past his prime? Dude just came off a Norris Trophy winning season.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:51 am

Yep this trade was 100000% necessary for the future of this franchise. You couldn't let Jake walk for nothing which is what would have happened. I also thinking signing jake to some long term 8 year deal at age 30 would have been the wrong thing to do.

I love Jake, He was a great player and a great person here. I appreciate everything he did for this team, but he 10000% had to be traded to start turning over this roster to get younger and get new faces here.
Any chance you have this on your clipboard?

;)

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:51 am

On another note I've had a Pens ticket rep hounding me all week about buying mini plans or season tickets for next year haha.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:52 am

Any chance you have this on your clipboard?

;)
:evil: :lol:

You just waiting for me to post hahaha. I know I've said the same thing in slightly similar ways recently.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:54 am

Source of the post Past his prime? Dude just came off a Norris Trophy winning season.
He's still past his prime.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:55 am

hold up. did some one honestly say this return is worse than Jagr’s return?

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:57 am

They didn't work out an extension. What more do you need to be convinced?

We’ve seen extensions at the 11th hour, especially when the player (if reports are correct) wants to stay and the team wants to keep him.

But, again, I get it. All of it. So, it’s done, and we hope for the best. I’m sad but not completely delusional. :)

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:57 am

hold up. did some one honestly say this return is worse than Jagr’s return?
Some huge Kris Beech fans...

The U

Postby The U » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:05 am

Some people that are really upset about this (like DK) seem not to understand that we were about 5 weeks away for losing him for NOTHING. He was gone. He had a chance to sign an extension and didn’t. We were going to lose an asset for zero in return. How can anyone be upset with trading him away regardless of the return?

If he loves Pittsburgh and wants to come back, re-sign with us in the summer.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:08 am

Source of the post If he loves Pittsburgh and wants to come back, re-sign with us in the summer.
Bingo. Extension or get assets plus sign him in FA if he really wants to be here. I don't think he's coming back, but it was an obvious choice.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:12 am

I know the players have to be mad but like, pick what you want guys. Sid, did you want Geno and Letang? Or did you want Jake? Cause you got Geno and Letang. And vice versa.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:13 am

I'm not going to blame them. There was a ton of noise about the trade right before the game started.

They haven't really been in this position their entire careers, and Jake was really well respected by his teammates.

I'm not going to blame them for it.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:16 am

Idk why they are mad. This is a good retool attempt. Guentzel wasnt moving the needle this year for this Penguins team and was unlikely to move the needle next year. They were able to get players that project to be better than the cycle of call ups the Pens have been having. They got younger. They got potential quality. And they got more to stock the team further for the next 2-3 years. This is a win. In 5 years it may suck in hindsight, but they got an NHLer, prospects and draft picks. They havent had a chance to fill out the roster this much with one trade in a really long time.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:17 am