GDT #59: Pens @ Oilers

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:11 pm

What I smelled might be right

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:27 pm

I did bet Malkin last goal...so maybe if that can hold...assuming we don't have six more goals in us in the next 3:07...

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:33 pm

Round 2 next Sunday :scared:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:19 am

Good coaches get fired all the time. Sometimes you just need a change. Dubas’ recent comments would lead you to believe that Sullivan has a lifetime contract here and isn’t going anywhere…..but I just can’t see it. This team is incredibly stale and needs a new voice. I can’t imagine him coming back next year.
His 5 mil per year extension doesn't even kick in until next season. He's not getting fired until midway next season at the very earliest.

Unless Liverpool wins the EPL and FSG get drunk and decide they don't mind eating 15mil+ in coaching, I don't see it happening.
I didn't even realize his extension hadn't kicked in yet. No wonder Dubas acts like he's untouchable as I'm sure he is. We really have very little visibility into any ownership group, but it felt like with Lemieux Group LP Mario could be like "this **** ain't working" and tell Burkle to write a check. FSG, who really only seem to be liked by Liverpool at this point because the Sox are a disaster, have like 30+ investors and a bottom line to worry about. I don't think we're gonna see a win at all costs approach here.

JC2

Postby JC2 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:26 am

I think they give Sully new players and hopefully a new assistant for the powerplay to start next year. If the same issues arise, he needs to be fired.

We know he is a good coach, but unfortunately he seems to have lost the locker room.

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:49 am

I’m not happy the season has gone to hell but the silver lining is that this is probably the only way the organization was going to be able to add nhl-ready youth quickly. We needed a season like this where we could SELL and use the opportunity to add prospects or young nhl players to the mix.

Make the right moves here with Guentzel, Eller, Acciari, Ruh, Smith, Jarry/Ned, etc and you’ll have a few NHL ready young guys to usher in the youth movement next season. It doesn’t need to be a full rebuild but just a retool. A few guys to bring some youthful energy, speed, etc. supplement that with some free agents, new coaching staff, better PP and we’re back in business.
I agree. Trade for youth, speed, and future picks, as this upcoming draft is one of the weakest in recent years IMO. This roster is going nowhere, but it may be possible to make one more run with 87 in the next couple of years, because he will likely be great for a few more seasons. Imagine what his point total would look like if the team had a functioning power play. In fact, if a faster top 6 with an improved compete level is obtained, we may even see Geno's production bounce back a bit next season.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:02 am

The fallacy that one more run is possible is what dooms this team IMO (if management thinks this way). There is not one more run in this core group of players. Sid will more than likely not replicate what he did this year next year...he's going to be 37. He is going to drop off eventually. Malkin will be older, Letang will be older. EK will be older.

This core is not making another run no matter what you do. It's just not happening. They have to embrace youth and Sid can mentor some younger players, but this whole one more run thing just baffles me. I'm not saying sneaking into the playoffs is not possible, but that is the extent of it. I know I'm probably alone in thinking this....but we got two great decades out of this group of players...its time to embrace change.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:34 am

why would you be alone?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:40 am

I dunno. I feel like I see posts here and other places that say if we just change a few players and fix the pp we can make a run with Sid and this core next year. Maybe run is getting into the playoffs rather than a deep playoff/cup run...if that is the case then sure they could probably squeak into the playoffs.

I'm not saying my opinion is right, I just think any sort of thinking about making a deep run with this core of players is not reality. It also further pushes back what actually needs to happen which is to make wholesale changes and retool/rebuild. Sid's season this year is amazing but he is going to be another year older next year, and the chances of him doing what he did this year next year....is unlikely to happen IMO.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:23 am

I change my mind about this team after every single game anyway, so I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

I've been ready and excited for an influx of promising young players for quite some time, though.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:28 am

The 'run' isn't happening now. The power play's flacidness (flacidity?) has doomed us since the very beginning. At this point in the season, you are what you are and the Penguins are an old, slow team that has HOF talent as a lineup foundation but that talent is too inconsistent because of its age. We've seen it in the playoff appearances the last few years and in regular season matchups the last couple -- speedy, finesse teams drive this team crazy. Unfortunately, Hextall was too dense to make any adjustments and for whatever reason, either Sullivan didn't try to adapt or the players refused to adapt. I guess if run-and-gun is in your DNA, you can't all of a sudden become a version of the 95 Devils in order to steal points against the skilled teams. I don't fault Dubas for the moves he made this summer because who knew that Graves and Smith would be boat anchors (lends a lot of credence to the critiques of the scouting department). How he handles this trading deadline and the offseason will go a lot further in deciding his legacy than his rehab of Hextall's follies will.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:33 am

I dunno. I feel like I see posts here and other places that say if we just change a few players and fix the pp we can make a run with Sid and this core next year. Maybe run is getting into the playoffs rather than a deep playoff/cup run...if that is the case then sure they could probably squeak into the playoffs.

I'm not saying my opinion is right, I just think any sort of thinking about making a deep run with this core of players is not reality. It also further pushes back what actually needs to happen which is to make wholesale changes and retool/rebuild. Sid's season this year is amazing but he is going to be another year older next year, and the chances of him doing what he did this year next year....is unlikely to happen IMO.
I'm looking forward to the top-heaviness of the team to balance back out. Unfortunately, Rust/Rakell contracts are going to be / are already anchors.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:33 am

flaccidiousness

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am

/Serj Tankian voice

The flacidity... of our PP... of our peeeeeeepeeeeeee

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:43 am

The Penguins have completely changed their game. We're a passive NZ forecheck team at this point. Now, it's not necessarily a match for some other parts of our game and our personnel...but there isn't one run and gun piece to our game and there hasn't been for a while...

But yeah, you can't just be great at defense. You can play it...but being great at it is another matter. Trying to do that with guys like Karlsson and Graves and Joseph is just not reasonable...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:47 am

I know the answer but I’m going to ask the question anyway. Why is Graves in the nhl?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:47 am

RVH strikes again @meow
I hate it

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:00 pm

I know the answer but I’m going to ask the question anyway. Why is Graves in the nhl?
Well, now it's because his contract guarantees him a spot. How did we get here? He's tall and has a hard shot.

Anecdotally, I didn't recall him as a junior player...he was a 4th round pick in 2013. His draft year, in the Q, he had 3 goals and 13 assists in 74 games (RS+PO)...god damn that's bad.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:42 pm

Why are rust and rakell anchors? They're both good top 6 wingers on reasonable contracts. Rust had a bad year last year, rakell is having a bad year this year.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:43 pm

Rust has 18-18-36 in 42 games this year
Rakell had 28-32-60 in 82 games last year

What do we want for $5M AAV?

And btw since the first 17 games when RR was likely playing hurt, he has 8-14-22 in 30 games, which scales to 22-38-60 in 82

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:47 pm

Well, now it's because his contract guarantees him a spot. How did we get here? He's tall and has a hard shot.

Anecdotally, I didn't recall him as a junior player...he was a 4th round pick in 2013. His draft year, in the Q, he had 3 goals and 13 assists in 74 games (RS+PO)...god damn that's bad.
That's insane. Didn't Scuds put those #s to shame in the NCAA no less?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:53 pm

Scuds was playing in the Metropolitan Junior League in his draft year...which is now gone, but was also kind of a joke...

"How do you know it's a joke, mikey?"

Rob Scuderi had 42 goals and 112 points.

Then had 24 points in 42 games at Boston College as a freshman...he'd never top that total at any level the rest of his career. But that's the year that we drafted him in the 5th round.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:55 pm

Rust has 18-18-36 in 42 games this year
Rakell had 28-32-60 in 82 games last year

What do we want for $5M AAV?

And btw since the first 17 games when RR was likely playing hurt, he has 8-14-22 in 30 games, which scales to 22-38-60 in 82
Yeah, I wouldn't call those contracts "anchors" by any definition, categorically...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:15 pm

Why are rust and rakell anchors? They're both good top 6 wingers on reasonable contracts. Rust had a bad year last year, rakell is having a bad year this year.
They're not bat at all. They're contracts are going to be cumbersome, maybe moreso Rusts than Rakells if Rust can't stay on the ice and their clauses make them difficult to move, probably.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:18 pm

Rakell only has an 8 team no trade. Not super restrictive. Rust won't be moved unless he wants out.