GDT #59: Pens @ Oilers

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:29 pm

Not sure why we'd even entertain moving either of them unless the return couldn't be refused. We need more guys like them, not less

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:43 pm

Rust would be the guy I would have tried to move based on his ability to perform in the playoffs. I'd have to think he could draw a ton of interest.

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:47 pm

I agree that the odds of another run with 87, 71, and 58 are extremely slim. But unless management is going to trade 71, 65, and 58, it won't be a true rebuild. If Sid, Geno, and Tanger are all going to finish their careers here, the only option is to try and do a partial rebuild on the fly.

Is it worth extending the amount of years it will take before this team is really good again so we can enjoy a few more seasons of the core? Because it seems a lot of fans are wanting them to "blow it up," but in the same breath they don't want to part with any of the team's core players.

I think mikey nailed it when he said they changed their style of play (which they have done) but don't have the roster to implement such a system. I think 87 and 58 have been great in that system, and 71 has modified his game to some degree. Other players aren't suited for that type of system. So, do we have faith in Sully, and bring in guys who can execute what he is trying to do, or do we blow it up and fire the coaches and trade every player that can bring back a decent return? I believe management will try and split the difference. Will it work? No; they won't be a Cup contender next season. But could they have a better regular season and sneak into the playoffs? I think they can.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:04 pm

:lol: