Petry, Poehling to the Pens for Matheson and a pick

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:17 pm

I grew into liking Matheson for his skating ability and his looks at the offensive end. But let's face it -- he and Marino weren't moving anyone from the front of the net. At least with Petry and Rutta, you've got guys who aren't afraid of contact and play a heavier game. If that saves the Pens a couple of goals per week, that's going to make a big difference in the long run and hopefully in the playoffs.
The long rumored truculence is here.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:56 pm

I think it is funny I made the crack about Letang needing a babysitter and the next day they brought in a guy with a higher salary and of similar age. :lol:

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:14 pm

Petry had a bad year last year, but hopefully he's not washed up. This is a very interesting one from typically a risk averse sport. Matheson had a career year last year, and they're cashing out now...fairly low too. Petry is a pretty well known quantity, so I don't need to go into his game too much I assume. He provides a shot from distance, which is unique. He's pretty tough to play against in his older age. He really wants to be on a winner, he's a warrior...he asked out of Montreal and got his wish. I mean, he's really just an all-around d-man that can play any situation. Let's hope the feet hold up into his advanced age. We'll see what Matheson can do away from Sullivan and these players. Should be a real test for MSL.

Poehling (Pail-ling). He's a tough one. Sometimes you see some skill, you see a shot, he's got hockey IQ - you can see this in his backchecking and how he identifies the biggest threat. Offensively, he lacks much imagination. He does this Gretzky turn thing that doesn't work very well because he's not super dynamic. His feet are heavy and he's unathletic. Can't really get off his center line through turns, doesn't really offer any explosiveness, tough out of turns/pivots. I wonder what he can be...I'm guessing he's more like Dustin Jeffrey I guess...at league minimum, he provides some C/LW depth, so that's fine...

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:07 am

I would have been all over this trade before last season. Sullivan used Matheson really well, but perhaps it will be an improvement for Sullivan to not service Matheson's needs.

A big shot is much wanted :)

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:53 am

For how bad Petry looked early last year, he ended up putting up something like 23 points in 32 games with MSL as coach. I'm thinking Ducharme was just *that* bad, and not a knock on Petry.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:59 am

That's a really good point. MSL really took off the chains of a lot of guys. Petry was publicly critical of Ducharme as well. The team was complete mud under him. I think Caufield had like 1 goal in 30 games under DD, he had like 6 in the first 9 under MSL or something. So, yeah, I think everyone had a hard time there before MSL got there. I just hope that he can still hang in there with his age and experience...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:08 am

For how bad Petry looked early last year, he ended up putting up something like 23 points in 32 games with MSL as coach. I'm thinking Ducharme was just *that* bad, and not a knock on Petry.
Good find, plus it's easy to not be good when you're on the worst team in the league

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:02 pm

Petry is also a second pair guy now. He wont constantly be up against the top competition, probably wont need to play quite as many minutes. I expect him to be very good

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:48 pm

I hope this works out for the now old af Penguins.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:59 pm

Older and slower.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:22 pm

So we beat Edmonton in 6 this year and the following year lose in 7?

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:08 pm

The Jeff Norton Trade Tree continues