Pens Acquire Ty Smith

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pens Acquire Ty Smith

Postby meow » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:59 am

Absolutely zero chance of that. He's played 114 games in the NHL and 0 in the AHL. Theyre not gonna ruin the kid like that. He's in the NHL top 6
Nah. I don’t think that’s a valid train of thought. Kid knows he was mud butt last year. Kid knows our D corps is stacked.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pens Acquire Ty Smith

Postby meow » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:09 pm

POJ is not a NHL d-man

faftorial

Pens Acquire Ty Smith

Postby faftorial » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:39 pm

Absolutely zero chance of that. He's played 114 games in the NHL and 0 in the AHL. Theyre not gonna ruin the kid like that. He's in the NHL top 6
:thumb:

mikey

Pens Acquire Ty Smith

Postby mikey » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:04 pm

All right, I'm back in the saddle...couldn't turn down Tiesto in one city and deadmau5 in another in the same weekend...

Ty Smith was a really, really good (and productive) player in junior and was also really good for NJ as a rookie. He was really, really bad last year in all facets of his game. He was a healthy scratch at times last year I believe. Also a little banged up. He used to be a much better skater, last year it looked like his skating was very bad. I'm not sure about what his injuries were off hand or if he was focused on adding strength and it compromised his speed or what...but it didn't look good. Hopefully that can rebound. He handled the puck poorly, when he used to be able to some things with it. He just didn't look dynamic at all last year. But in the WHL he was and even as a rookie with NJ the year before last, it looked like he was really on the right track. I asked around, and no one had a real firm idea as to why Smith was so poor last year.

Him going back to the minors for a little bit actually might help him find his game quicker. If he doesn't recapture his transition ability, this won't go well for us. He's not hard to play against, so he needs to be really good with the puck...not a strong shot certainly, but he did have skill - can at least beat a forechecker, and smarts, and passing ability...but I can't stress how much the wheels just fell off last year.

He's a higher upside play than Marino, as the knife seemed to dull on Marino too after his rookie year...but Marino's 'B' game is better than Smith's right now. So that's why Marino was never in danger of being scratched. Saves us some bucks and gives us a top 100 pick, possibly top 75. This is one of those trades that could easily run the gamut...steal, complete bust, or pretty meh...it's really all about Smith or Marino tapping into their upside...

NTP66

Pens Acquire Ty Smith

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:29 am

Source of the postcouldn't turn down Tiesto in one city and deadmau5 in another in the same weekend...
It's like you want us to hate you.

Beveridge

Pens Acquire Ty Smith

Postby Beveridge » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:27 am

I thought they were board names of people somewhere else. Figured I needed to look it up after your post.

Gaucho

Pens Acquire Ty Smith

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:02 am

I'm down with Tiesto and deadmau5.

Morkle

Pens Acquire Ty Smith

Postby Morkle » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:36 am

If there's one thing I'm semi-confident in, is that the Penguins do a pretty bang-up job of getting guys to turn it around on the back-end.

faftorial

Pens Acquire Ty Smith

Postby faftorial » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:29 am

A Devils fan:
I'm a NJ fan and trust me his skating is not his strength at all. It boggles the mind how scouts raved about him being a good skater when he is horrendous. He has great edge work but his speed is non existent. He is also weak, not physical. He is the definition of a project dman. He can be a PP quarterback but he needs to he heavily sheltered. NJ just gave up on him because if he's not going to be used on the PP (which is his strength) then he's borderline useless. NJ has Hamilton, Severson & then Hughes/Nemec joining the team all of which will be on the PP over Smith hence why we traded him.

mikey

Pens Acquire Ty Smith

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:56 am

I'm down with Tiesto and deadmau5.
I mean, I get that it's not for some people...but man, it's tough to figure out why...if you aren't at least tapping a foot to "Boom", you might want to take your weens and throw it in a compost bucket...

Both were excellent shows. Deadmau5 live mixed that Daft Punk song (better, faster, stronger whatever it's called) and I almost pooped.

Anyhow, nowhere to go but up for Smith...

mikey

Pens Acquire Ty Smith

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:57 am

I'm not saying right, wrong, or indifferent...but what if Letang had signed somewhere else and someone quoted dodint...?

dodint

Pens Acquire Ty Smith

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:04 am

They should be so lucky.