Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Gaucho

Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:25 pm

Rust never sleeps.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:26 pm

In three years the Pens will be beginning the rebuild. Contract is front loaded and no NTC/NMC in the last three years. If he's not broken down, he'll be easy to trade. If he isn't his cap hit won't matter.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Postby meow » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:05 pm

He is also the perfect type of older guy to keep around. A guy that played his way into a first line winger role and works his bag off.

King Colby

Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Postby King Colby » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:46 pm

1st line winger-ish

-Mikey

mikey

Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:49 pm

What's worse - me not thinking he's some elite RWer or thinking he won't be a 20 point player in two years...? haha

It's so hard to balance the entire internet...

Lelldorin

Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Postby Lelldorin » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:52 am

We have about three years left as outsiders for the Cup. Then we will be quite bad anyway. So it doesn't matter so much if we have some overpaid players a few years after that. This is why I can give a player such as Letang a five year contract if he wants to and/or it reduces his cap hit.

The value of the Rust contract is great as long as Crosby is playing.

My only small concern is that it could prevent us from signing Letang, Malkin or the not likely signing Johnny hockey.

I wouldn't have mind resigning Rakell since he is younger than Rust, but at the same cap hit, Rust is probably the better player the next three years.

Gaucho

Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:16 am

It all hinges on what Geno wants. He needs to remember that, for the last 12 years, he's been the Penguins' highest paid player.

stonewizard51
Location: Doing little things to irritate wifey without pi$$ing her off.

Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Postby stonewizard51 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:57 pm

I seem to remember an article a coule of years ago where Geno's wife said something to the effect of "She'd rather he be a star center somewhere else but felt he'd never leave the Burgh". If true, I wonder how much of that would come into play ? Happy wife...happy life scenario.

King Colby

Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Postby King Colby » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:15 pm

He ain't leaving

Morkle

Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Postby Morkle » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:51 am

I seem to remember an article a coule of years ago where Geno's wife said something to the effect of "She'd rather he be a star center somewhere else but felt he'd never leave the Burgh". If true, I wonder how much of that would come into play ? Happy wife...happy life scenario.
Don't Russian's love Florida because of the tax laws there? I thought that was always true.

faftorial

Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Postby faftorial » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:52 am

Don't Russian's love Florida because of the tax laws there? I thought that was always true.
Germans too.

Pavel Bure

Pens Extend Bryan Rust

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:26 am

The more I chew this over the more I just don’t like it. This is a move for a team in win-now mode IMO. He’s certainly blossomed in the last 3 years but this isn’t a guy hitting his mid or late 20’s. He’s already on the wrong side of 30, has injury issues, and will have a lot of trouble keeping up this level of play over 6 more years.

The Pens were in a tough spot. Either let him walk or sign him for this “reduced” price. Whether the Pens are in the playoffs again this year or going to miss them I think the new ownership group should look to move him ASAP trying to sell him on going to win a cup and help the team long term so he’ll waive his NMC.

3 years from now I expect him to be broken down and be under 20 points a season. I wouldn’t be shocked if it happens sooner given his already poor health record.
I still don’t like this contract. 20 points is aggressive but with the way the team is going and he’s going it’s not super far off.