GDT: Pens vs Rags, Game 5

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:26 am

Trouba has a history of being unable/unwilling to bring his elbows down. He shouldn't be getting the benefit of the doubt here.

**** this **** league. So hard to support this kind of bullshit. If they had their way, every game would be 2-1 and you'd run out of gas taking players back and forth from the hospital.

The U

Postby The U » Thu May 12, 2022 11:45 am

Trouba is getting a lot of credit for his poke check in this sequence.

Yes he leads with the stick and the poke but as soon as he loses body position and Sid’s going by him he sticks his elbow out as a last ditch effort to slow him down. It takes a bit of the “premeditated” nature of it away but it was still and elbow to the head.

His elbow on Jake in the opening minute was far more predatory in my view. He was behind him, skated up to his back and threw a legit elbow shot into the back of Jake’s head as he was approaching the glass. Really surprised Jake avoided injury there.

Given the fact that he threw a predatory elbow on the opening shift, has a track record this season of 3 elbow knockouts to opposing players, and then took Sid out later in the game….you’d think he’d have lost the benefit of the doubt. Guess not.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu May 12, 2022 11:55 am

It shouldn't matter if the elbow was premeditated, accidental, or actually his forearm. If the NHL were serious, all hits to the head, whether intentional or not, would be penalized.

Just like a high stick. You are responsible for the control of your stick. If it accidentally slides up somebody else's stick and clips them in the face, 2 minutes, minimum.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu May 12, 2022 11:58 am

for me, it's the Trouba hit on Jake that he should be having a hearing for. that was some dangerous ****. he could've broken Jake's neck.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 12, 2022 11:58 am

Yeah, I think that last point is a good one...(toupe's)

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 12, 2022 12:07 pm

Here's where the NHL gets it wrong. I don't care how he elbowed him in the head, he elbowed him in the head. The NFL doesn't ask how you hit the QBs face, you get 15 yards regardless. They protect their assets

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu May 12, 2022 1:17 pm

yeah. I saw a lot of rationalizing on Reddit and being as objective as I can be, I don’t agree with it at all. Elbowing someone in the head, whether intentional or accidental, is not something that happens all the time. It’s dangerous

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu May 12, 2022 1:43 pm

I mean unless we're talking Steve McKenna on Micki DuPont, you also have to raise your arm to an uncomfortable/unnatural position to do it also.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu May 12, 2022 1:54 pm

It happens all the time with Trouba, so I guess it's fine.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Thu May 12, 2022 2:12 pm

Despite all the drama, I still feel that the Pens blew the game last night more than the Rangers won it, and that’s really sticking in my craw today.

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Thu May 12, 2022 2:15 pm

This is an area where MLB gets it right and NHL gets it wrong. Example: if a pitcher hits a batter and the umpire deems it to be intentional, a warning is issued to both teams and the next violation is an ejection. The elbow to Jake should have been a penalty and a warning to both benches. The second elbow should have resulted in a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. It's insane to leave a player in a game who is hitting guys in the head repeatedly. Because of this, the refs "lose control" of games too often. Meh. Just my 2 cents.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Thu May 12, 2022 2:16 pm

It shouldn't matter if the elbow was premeditated, accidental, or actually his forearm. If the NHL were serious, all hits to the head, whether intentional or not, would be penalized.

Just like a high stick. You are responsible for the control of your stick. If it accidentally slides up somebody else's stick and clips them in the face, 2 minutes, minimum.
Is the control aspect of the high-sticking rule because the stick is considered an extension of the arm? If so, then why isn’t the arm (the controller) itself not subject to rule?

Talk about “controller disconnected.”

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Thu May 12, 2022 2:26 pm

BURY
TROUBA
I hope we see this sign in the arena tomorrow.

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Thu May 12, 2022 2:35 pm

Does this happen in other series, to other teams top guys?
Yes.
To the level where the top player is taken out in multiple series with concussions / hits to the head?

I've not watched as many playoff games as you, but I don't think I've seen McDavid/Matthews/Ovechkin etc taken out multiple times with concussions... of course some of those guys maybe need to get into round 2 or 3 first... but still.

I've seen games get more physical - I don't know if I've seen obvious head hunting that I saw last night.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu May 12, 2022 2:36 pm

I'm still sour that Jake got a penalty for pulling Zbinejad off of Geno. both Z and Jake should've gone.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Thu May 12, 2022 3:03 pm

Of course I’d love to see Sid on the Jagr timetable with a successful playing career into his 40s (if anyone can adapt and do it, then he can).

But at times like this, I think the only thing that would get the league’s attention would be if Sid won the Cup once more, and retired while holding the trophy, right there on the ice: “You know, in my entire adult life, I’ve done everything the league has asked of me…much more than it has deserved. In return, I’m donating my brain to science in the NHL’s name. Don’t call me again unless it’s to appoint me to be the DoPS. Peace.”

It sounds ridiculously melodramatic, and he’s far too classy to do it, but I wouldn’t blame him if he did.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Thu May 12, 2022 3:04 pm

I'm still sour that Jake got a penalty for pulling Zbinejad off of Geno. both Z and Jake should've gone.
Yes, this, shoeshine. Just absurd.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 12, 2022 3:14 pm

Does this happen in other series, to other teams top guys?
Yes.
To the level where the top player is taken out in multiple series with concussions / hits to the head?

I've not watched as many playoff games as you, but I don't think I've seen McDavid/Matthews/Ovechkin etc taken out multiple times with concussions... of course some of those guys maybe need to get into round 2 or 3 first... but still.

I've seen games get more physical - I don't know if I've seen obvious head hunting that I saw last night.
Those guys don't play in the playoffs really...how many series have those guys won in their careers...

But it happens unfortunately...

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Thu May 12, 2022 3:52 pm

Those guys don't play in the playoffs really...how many series have those guys won in their careers...

I shouldn't say that, McDavid has won a few right?

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 12, 2022 5:02 pm

One.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:03 pm

Impressive.